Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1,231 of 1,247 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Who Should and Shouldn't Buy This!, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 5:18 Mins

I have used Photoshop Elements since version 2 and I strongly believe it is the best photo-editing program available for under $100. It will do most of the editing tasks that the full version of Photoshop does but at a fraction of the cost. It is the software I have my "Digital Photography" and "Digital Drawing and Painting" students use for the college courses I teach.

If you are serious or semi-serious about editing your photos I highly recommend that you purchase this. In addition, an important advantage of learning (and using) Elements is that if you decide to someday move up to the full version of Photoshop all the stuff you learned translates to the more expensive program. Also, there is a TON of instructional material available online (most of it free!) and in books that will help you learn this program.

I've included a short video showing a few of the features of Elements 10 and how they compare with the same features in Photoshop CS5.

If you just want an easy program to use to edit a few photos now and then you can find cheaper software programs, and many online programs that are free. One good free online application is Sumo Paint.

My recommendations to current Photoshop Elements users:

1. Element 9 Users: The new features in Elements 10 basically deal with organizing your photos and some quick and easy templates and photo effects. For the most part, I wouldn't recommend upgrading to Elements 10 if you have Elements 9.

2. Elements 3-8 Users: I recommend upgrading to Elements 10 because there was a huge improvement between versions 8 and 9 (content aware, puppet warp, and the ability to add masks to layers).

I hope this helps!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 41-50 of 82 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 2, 2012 7:44:14 AM PDT
Morisot says:
Informative little video. Short and sweet. Thank you!

Posted on May 9, 2012 4:13:53 AM PDT
Awesome review V. Hutson!!!

just what I needed to tip the scales. I would love CS5 but don't spend enough time adjusting photo's to justify the cost but this seems like it will do what I want when I want to for a great price!!!

Thanks for that!!!

Posted on May 12, 2012 6:53:08 AM PDT
twokatmew says:
Very helpful review and video! Thank you so much!

Posted on May 18, 2012 10:41:45 AM PDT
zhigo16 says:
I upgraded to 9 from 5 when that came out, but 9 drives me crazy with it's hang-ups just trying to view photos full screen in the organizer. Do you know if this has been part of the improvements you spoke of in the new 10 organizer?

Posted on May 18, 2012 8:55:06 PM PDT
Hi
I use Photoshop Elements 9 so I am grateful for your point #1 under recommendatons. Thank you very much. I wish I could find a class in PSE, but there no longer is budget for adult ed classes in our community. I've had 2, 3, 5, 7, 8 and now 9 and I struggel with it trying to teach myself. I learn best in a class.
Thanks again
Elizabeth

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 8:48:13 AM PDT
I've never worked with photoshop until I bought Elements 9. I bought 3 books from Amazon that really helped me alot. 1-Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks. 2-Photoshop Elements 9 the missing manual 3-Photoshop Elements 9 in easy steps. My real problem was under standing Layers. I agree with you on classes. These 3 are excellent books. I finally got Layers figured out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 1:55:36 PM PDT
I'm embarrassed to admit I have a few good books also, including Missing Manual in which I couldnot find what I was looking for, I'm not familiar with Easy Steps. How do you rate it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:32:56 PM PDT
The missing Manual is good, but keeps referring you to different chapters. Photoshop Elements 9 in easy steps does not do that. I give it 5 stars. Amazon has it for $11.69 by Nick Vandome, also Top 100 Simplified tips & Tricks by Rob Sheppard for &18.24 I would rate it 5 stars. These two books don't keep referring you to different chapters in their books. I can't say anything about the organizer part of Elements, because I don't use it. What are you looking for? I have Elements 9 & 10. Their really the same except 10 has a couple more things.

Posted on May 19, 2012 2:49:29 PM PDT
DanielaN says:
This is one of the best reviews ever!! I really like the video, thank you very much!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 3:53:47 PM PDT
I have 9. I do mostly phographic work, some to print. I make greeting cards from some of my photos. not to sell but for pwrsonal use.
I don't use the organizer either. I have my own system, and thousands of pictures that go back many years. too much trouble to put them in the organizer and not necessary.