Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick impression (with update), July 15, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5XW Live MOS Micro 4/3 Compact Sytem Camera with 3-Inch Touch Screen and 14-42 Power Zoom Lens (White) (Electronics)
Just received the camera (14-42 power zoom) and took a few pictures. I bought the power zoom lens because of its dimension and it is really compact. Saw the 14-42 standard lens earlier today and actually it was not as big as I envisioned it to be, and given the price difference I might have ordered the standard one instead if I had a chance to physically compare. But no complain so far on performance of the power zoom, pictures came out nice and sharp.

While the size is quite small, but the weight is much more than point & shoot pocket cameras. It could fit into the pocket of a jacket, but due to its weight your jacket will be deformed. So make sure you go get the right case for it. The shoulder strap that came with it is just too narrow (and short) for me thus I am now shopping for a nicely padded one. The camera itself feels solid, touch screen is responsive too.

I also bought the 45-200mm lens, with it mounted and when you place the camera on a flat surface, the lens actually is the part touching the surface since extended a bit beyond where the base is.

*** August 7, 2012 Update ***

Took plenty of great pictures in the last 3 weeks and when I showed people the sharpness even in low-light conditions they are super impressed with the picture quality. Auto-focus is superfast and that helps when I visited a zoo. I can also adjust the blurriness of the background when taking portraits which is a big plus with a camera this size. Miniature mode adds a lot of fun when taking pictures of buildings or landmarks from a distance.

Built-in flash is quite strong and I can also tilt it to face the ceiling. I found myself not using flash at all when indoor since I get good pictures at ISO 1600.

*** Dec 14, 2012 Update ***

I have bought the 20mm pancake lens and have been trying out different features and scenes. First of all let me say that my family and friends all have commented positively the photos that I took in the last few months. I also find myself envisioning the outcome before I press the shutter button. Thus I started to use more advanced settings to get the effect that I want and on this camera it is really very easy to access those settings. Even in iA (intelligent auto) mode some adjustments can be made using the dial.

The 3 lenses that I have and ranked by usage:
1. 20 mm pancake -- beautiful bokeh and great for indoor in natural light
2. 45-200 mm zoom -- I found myself using this lens to take close-up of interesting objects, like plants, flowers, bugs. And it is also very good for people shots because it reduces the sharpness a bit. The key is to have enough distance between you and the object.
3. 14-42 mm power-zoon -- wide-angle shots, all purpose usage. Don't get me wrong, this is a good lens and produces good pictures. Just that I am trying to experiment more on people and objects, the other 2 lenses pretty much cover what I need. I will use this when I want to take pictures of people standing in front of landmarks, and also when using the miniature effect.

(I have uploaded some pictures as well so check them out.)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]