Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for "Smart Response Setting", February 11, 2011
This review is from: Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day Programmable Thermostat (Tools & Home Improvement)
I had to replace an older cheaper Honeywell that decided it didn't know what time of day it was.

I decided to go with this more expensive model-- but I had reservations after having read some reviews and comments elsewhere where some people complained that the furnace was always on, or they were burning more oil or gas than before. . .

I found the reason--

It's called 'Smart Response Technology'

It's 'ON' by default if you do the quick DIY install.

To turn it 'OFF' you have to download the FULL MANUAL from the Honeywell site to see how to get into the ADVANCED Settings of the device. The pamphlet you get in the package is just your BASIC setup.

I bought the programmable Honeywell to control my oil usage and keep the furnace from heating the house in the dead of the night when everyone is in bed. And I would set the Program to turn the Furnace ON and reset the Temp back to 70 degrees at 7 AM. In short-- The Furnace turns ON at 7 o'clock and in time, (20 minutes or so) the house gets warm.

What SMART RESPONSE does is uses an algorithm to attempt to get the house to the Programmed Temp BEFORE the Programmed Time. The result is the Furnace will turn ON an hour or more BEFORE the time you set to raise the temperature until it hits 70 degrees EXACTLY at 7 AM.

Okay-- it's a nice, cute helpsy idea that I'm sure a Honeywell Programmer/Engineer is rightly proud of. Problem is, the Furnace is BURNING OIL when I don't WANT IT TO.

I didn't notice what the Thermostat was doing until late one night I was watching a movie real late-- when I heard the Furnace go ON and STAY ON at 4:30 in the morning. And I was like: "WTF?" When I went to look at the Thermostat, it displayed: 'In Recovery Mode'

That was the Smart Response circuit attempting to ease the night-time temp back up to 70 degrees in time for 7 AM. Except that meant the thing was BURNING MY OIL AT 4 IN THE MORNING!! If I hadn't been awake, I would never have noticed this.

So disable "Smart Response". That way the Furnace only comes on when YOU program it to.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2011 9:04:46 AM PDT
Amador says:
Since reading your review, I was also concerned with the 'Smart Responce Setting'. However, with the same model that I purchased in Amazon, the ability to disable this feature was easy. No need to download the manual. I think the Programmer/Engineer of Honeywell also took notice of your review and did something about it......Thanks

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 1:06:10 AM PDT
I bought a different Honeywell thermostat and had finished installing it when I suddenly remembered that the manual had been telling me to set the wake time to when *I* woke up, instead of when I wanted the system to wake up. I would not have given this a second thought if I'd not read your review earlier, so thank you for writing it.

I'm sure the smart technology idea works great if you are in a place that doesn't need more cooling or heating than your system can easily provide, but I'm in West Texas, in an old retail store that has an air conditioner that can't handle the Summer heat. If I'd not gone back to really examine the installation guide and note that there was this one default that I needed to figure out how to change, the thermostat would have been scientifically adjusting its start time to be earlier and earlier until eventually the wake setting would have simply over-ridden the previous night's sleep setting. At which point I would, presumably, have realised something was amiss. But not soon enough to avoid having to pay for all that wasted electricity.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:01:45 AM PDT
Jon K. says:
I wholeheartedly agree!
The day I installed this thermostat, I also had an HVAC guy coming to check the system. I figured if I screwed up the install, he could help me fix it. Well, he installs this model a great deal in his business and he knew all about programming it properly. He told me to NEVER set it on the Smart Response Technology because the system would always be running and would double our bill. So I left that setting off. Without that setting, everything works as expected and we're saving $$ because of the thermostat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013 2:34:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2013 2:55:16 PM PDT
Can you adjust the presumed .5 degree turn on turn off range to something wider? Does this thermostat rely solely on the batteries for power?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013 7:09:28 PM PDT
L. Veal says:
If your question is about the Smart Response feature-- I think it's an internal Algorithm, a Black Box as far as the user is concerned. You either Enable it or Disable it. Look in the FULL Manual, if you're interested. Some packages only include a quick-fold INSTALLATION Manual and nothing else. Go to the Manufacturer's website to search and download a PDF of the FULL manual which goes into ALL the Advanced features.

As for Batteries, it depends on how many wires you have. Older houses just have the thermostat connect the circuit to turn on the furnace or turn it off- Hence there are only 2 Wires. All the Thermostat does is close/open the circuit. You need the Batteries to retain all your settings.

But if you have Red, Green, Blue & White wires, your house circuit can supply power to the Thermostat. But important-- you have to look in the manual to see if your Model can run SOLELY off the low voltage circuit. It Might or it might not.

Last scenario may be-- you have multiple wires-- but they're all the same color (White or black or just plain dirty) In that case, you need to call a professional to test and connect the RIGHT ones just to be safe. Do it wrong...and you'll be calling the professional anyways. :)

Alternate Solution-- (But it costs $$$) -- If you have the standard multiple wires and want more control of your heating/cooling-- Look into the NEST thermostat. I just bought one for my office. It connects using WiFi and you can log in and control it directly. Totally Cool!!

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 3:07:35 PM PDT
hudsonhawk31 says:
The SMART Response Technology can be turned ON/OFF by using the following steps: (from the RTH6450's manual# 69-2416ES-05, Pg. #21)
1) Press and hold the "up arrow" AND the "FAN" buttons until the screen changes (approximately 5 seconds).
2) the number that appears on the "left" of the screen is the Function#, the number on the right of the screen is its corresponding SettingValue
2) Press "Next" (bottom right) until you reach "13" on the "left" of the screen (i.e. Function# "13" - this is the function for Smart Response Technology)
3) if the number on the "right" of the screen is "1" (i.e. if the SettingValue is "1") then the smart technology is "ON"
if the number on the "right" of the screen is "0" (i.e. if the SettingValue is "0") then the smart technology is "OFF"
4) Use the "up arrow" or the "down arrow" to change this SettingValue to suit your preference.
5) Press "Done" (bottom left) to save changes and exit.
Hope this helps.

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 9:55:41 AM PST
Jones says:
Sooner or later you're going to be heating. You can go from point A to B in any number of seconds, but slow and study will save money. If your system can raise the temperature to the desired setting in twenty minutes, if it came on at 4:30, it should go off at 5 and stay off.

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 7:56:50 AM PST
alan says:
Why not just advance the start up time so it turns the furnace on an hour before wake up?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014 7:13:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2014 7:13:37 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 4:11:49 AM PST
Alan - The obvious solution. That's what I did with mine, and it works perfect. Sometimes the best solution really is the easiest one.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›