6 of 9 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Mela (DVD)I bought this movie because I love Aamir Khan in "Lagaan", "Dil Chahta Hai", and "Fanaa" - he's an amazing actor and I admire his work.
With all due respect to the actors, this movie was simply awful. Some of its particularly horrible aspects:
1. A completely gross exaggeration of the slasher-flick villain who has to die twenty different ways before he actually stays dead;
2. Except for the two heroes, every man who encounters the heroine tries to rape her;
3. The movie can't decide between drama and comedy - the usually superb Aamir Khan doesn't seem to know exactly what his character is supposed to be - clown, romantic lead, or action hero;
4. Shaky camera work, very frenetic movements. Also very choppy in editing;
5. The DVD subtitles are dreadful - they didn't bother to translate the songs!
I was so annoyed and disgusted by this movie, I wound up watching most of it on fast-forward in hopes of seeing some improvement. This movie takes all of the worst, cheesiest aspects of a spaghetti western, throws in a couple of songs & dances, and hopes for the best. Not. Good. I'm glad this wasn't my first look at Indian cinema, or I might not come back for seconds.