5.0 out of 5 stars Great little projector for the $$$, November 24, 2010
This review is from: 3M MPro150 Pocket Projector (Office Product)
Just got my new 3M Mpro150 pocket projector and, so far, I'm very pleased with what I've seen. If the user wants a projector that displays a variety of media files from a variety of sources; a projector that has a descent brightness to it (even enlarged to as big as 50"; and the convenience of storing your files within the projector itself this little guy, in my opinion, fits the bill. Let me just say I use projectors all the time in my work so I know what the expensive, very bright projectors are capable of.

Here are the tests I ran it thru :

I did a test sheet in Word to see which fonts styles displayed as they should and I used several sizes. I tested Bookman Old Style 18pt, Comic Sans 12pt,18pt and 24pt, Courier 12 ,16 and 24pt, Impact 12, 16 and 24 pt, Aria 12,14 and 16pt, Times New Roman 12,14,16,18 & 20pt, Commercial Script BT 20pt and Century Gothic 12 and 16pt. UPDATE!! I had said earlier all fonts types displayed accurately but upon closer inspection, of the ones I tested, the only ones that display accurately are Arial and Times New Roman. The others are changed to be a more block styled font. They're all very readable, just not as the original font. They all look more like Arial or Time new Roman.

The Excel spreadsheet I loaded displayed fine.
Adobe PDF file displayed fine.
.JPG images displayed fine

Powerpoint - that one was disappointing (sort of). I tried to load a 17MB presentation that included lots of slides with images and/or images with text. I got an "out of memory" error. There were 130 slides in the presentation so I went ahead and started displaying the presentation (it partially loads it even when out of memory). There were some pauses on occasion as it seemed the projector was loading more slides into memory. So, you need a little patience , especially moving thru a lot of slides with images in them. The projector seems to load only 3 or 4 image slides at a time. After slide 82 of 130 the images no longer displayed , just text. I assume that's where it ran out of memory. After slide 100 nothing displayed. I went back and deleted all but 82 of the slides and found the file size to have been reduced from 17.5mb to 10.4mb so , maybe, the memory is limited to 10MB file size. Not a big problem for me . I'll just have to be conscious of that in the future and adjust my presentations accordingly by either shortening the presentation or making it a two part presentation. Keep in mind this was with the presentation loaded into memory on the projector. Results may be better played from an external source such as a laptop. I haven't tested that yet. I've emailed 3M with the issue and will update my review if I get a response.

The tripod is a bit wimpy and the tripod mount is located too far forward. I had already heard that complaint in other reviews so I've already designed a rear mount for mine if I want to use the wimpy tripod. I will also use another, better table top tripod I have if that works for my situation or I'll break out the Bogen mammoth tripod if necessary.

You'll want to do whatever it takes to keep your projector perpendicular to your screen as there is a lot of distortion (keystone effect) when projected at an angle.

I had the unit blinking red 3 times after about and hour of use which was telling me that it was either overheating or the battery wasn't in well or wasn't charged well but the unit felt cool to the touch. I'm afraid the battery life may only be lasting an hour. Will need to check that more closely.
The fan it has runs quietly.

There is no owners manual packaged with the product but you can get one from 3M ([...]) . I found the user interface to be very easy to use.

Some of the comments I've heard from co-workers were : "That's nice!" "Unbelievable!" and "Nice dude!" I did have one co-worker say that he'd rather spend more money on the brighter projectors and carry around a laptop or other source but that was mainly because he usually had a big audience. (I wonder if the bigger, high-end projectors have the capability to store the files in the projector?)

Anyway, on a scale of 1-10 I'd give this guy an 8+ for my needs. I'd have to downgrade it somewhat on brightness and the battery life I've seen so far but it CAN be powered from a wall outlet as well. Supposedly, this even adds to the brightness somewhat.

Should also note that the Apple component cables I have for my ipod touch did not work with the projector but the included cable I got with my order DID work. It's by a company called Dexim and says on the box it's made for use with the 3M Projector.

That's all for now. Will update later as I find out more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2010 5:58:31 AM PST
Update! My son and I played Call of Duty from the PS3 last night using the projector and it was AWESEOME! We projected the image onto our vaulted ceiling and the image size was monstrous and still looked sharp and bright to me and my son. My son said the image color was not 100% true to the game's colors but I'd say they were rendered very close. I"m guessing the screen size was 4-1/2 to 5 feet wide! (54" to 60"). You can either use the A/V out from the PS3 (which we initially did) or use the A/V out from the TV (which we tested as well). Both did fine. I mounted the projector to the Bogen tripod I have for the first test and lying in the floor , about 5 feet away we could still hear the speakers fine. Not loud, but audible. We'll add more external speakers later. The test from the TV came from mounting the projector on top of the TV with a mini table-top tripod(not the one included although it would have worked fine probably). It performed well also. First test was with the projector approximately 10' from the ceiling, the second one I'd say we were easily 12' away. Add another 1/2 star!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 8:40:31 AM PST
Jean Yang says:
The font test really concerns me as I need this projector to display fonts accurately, why do you feel it was skewing the other fonts to be more boxy?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 3:32:14 PM PST
Sorry for the late response. I'd have to contact 3M for the official answer to your question but I'm guessing, for whatever reason, they just couldn't use the (memory?) to hold all of the different font sizes so they compromised on some of the more common ones. A go around would be to capture images of the Word docs you want to display. Not sure what kind of quality or sharpness you'd get but that would be one way to cheat the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 8:11:01 PM PST
raadore says:
Hi Gary,
you say the image is sharp. I just bought my Mpro150 projector and although the colors look really good (I played the movie Rio) the sharpness is terrible. When I have my laptop's desktop on I cannot make out any of the text under the shortcuts and icons or in windows. I moved the focus wheel in every direction trying to get a sharp focus but I never attain a clear, sharp picture. Could it be that there is something wrong with the unit?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (55 customer reviews)

$359.00