5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What an improvement!, August 31, 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Camera)
I spent two or three months doing tons of research to replace my old Canon SD870. Finally a month ago I decided to buy the S90 despite the fact that it didn't have 720 HD video, it was a one-year old model, and many reviewers disliked the looseness of the control dial. My S90 arrived in the middle of August and over the course of many days I learned how to use all the functions and was very pleased with the results.

And then on August 19 Canon announced the upcoming release of the Canon S95. I immediately returned my S90 and anxiously awaited the arrival of its successor. Earlier today it was delivered and I've been using it all day.

I must say that I wanted to love the S90, but the smoothness of the body annoyed me. I figured I'd just have to get used to the slipperiness. But now that I have the S95 in my hands, I can't believe what a difference the matte finish makes regarding secure handling. There's no way you can appreciate the difference if you haven't handled both models yourself. Honestly, that feature alone is worth the slightly higher price.

Control dial issues? No longer! Subtle click-stops have solved that problem.

Finger missing the shutter button on the S90? Well, the geniuses at Canon took care of that, also. You won't mistake the shutter button on the S95 for any other button due to the distinct and secure feel.

I'm in love with this camera. I won't go into details about picture quality because it's as good as its predecessor; there are examples all over the Internet. And of course the S95's 720 HD video is a big improvement over the standard video of the S90.

Only one "con" I can think of: The new, smooth, elegant display on the back is no longer recessed therefore you'll have to be careful if you place the camera face up on a flat surface. In that position it appears the screen will come in direct contact with the table's surface.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2010 8:03:50 AM PDT
Justarasta says:
I'm looking to upgrade from my SD870 and was seriously considering the S90 but since Canon refuses to take any responsiblity for the LCD problems on the SD870 I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5K instead. Not only is the F2.0 24mm Leica lens a major upgrade but it has true HD video in AVCHD Lite format. There are other advantages as well but I'll leave those to the professional reviewers. Good luck with your S95 and congrats on your timing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 11:28:31 AM PDT
T. Wallace says:
Try and compare in the same price range, the Panasonic is $100 more. I agree that the Panasonic has it all: 24mm, hot shoe, 720p. But at that price point where does the "mine is better than yours" thinking end? If you can get the Panasonic for the same price - then Canon should just scream UNCLE!!!! But as it stands, it still costs $100 more. Currently am thinking of dumping all my gear and just get the best iPhone 4. It includes everything you have mentioned (minus the hotshoe) and I can make video calls too.

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 12:51:58 PM PDT
No one mentioned about the quality of the picture. Is the quality of the picutre is better than s90? If anybody can post some picture taken with canon s95, that will be helpfull.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 2:48:54 PM PDT
Jim Jensen says:
compare them at dpreview.com

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 8:23:32 PM PDT
K. Shin says:
The 2 things that are missing from this camera are:
- zoom during video
- longer zoom range (i.e. 12x on Pana ZS7)
Other than those two, seems perfect.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 12:22:31 PM PDT
D. Harris says:
If you'll look closely at the S90, you'll notice that the screen is not recessed on it either, so this is not a change with the S95.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 2:55:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 8, 2010 2:56:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 2:56:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2010 3:00:03 PM PDT
Actually the rear display on the S90 IS slightly recessed, but on the S95 it's flush with the rear panel. Here's a close-up image of the rear of the S90 - you can see that the screen is not flush with the screen's border: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/s90/D3S_8095-1200.jpg On the new S95 the display has no raised border around it therefore the screen can come into direct contact with a flat surface.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 3:14:43 PM PDT
Stan Dov says:
In regards to the longer zoom range - that would make for a bigger camera and would probably do away with the F/2 at the wide end.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 5:03:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2010 5:03:51 PM PDT
ZenWoman says:
How do you compare image quality with the SD870IS? That is the camera I have too, and I am looking for a camera that will take better pictures. The other choice would be to step it up to a DSLR considering a Nikon D3000 is around the same price refurbished, or $60 more for new.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›