1.0 out of 5 stars Except for the burn-in and Panasonic, pretty great, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
First, I know that not everyone's going to encounter this, and it's entirely possible I got a bum screen. But hear me out.

I had this for 3 months without any major issues. I started to play co-op Borderlands 2 with friends a couple hours at a time, a couple nights a week and for a little longer on weekends. And when I wasn't playing, the TV had other exciting dynamic things to display.

Now I have burn-in. On a white or light-colored background, you can see the ghost elements (and once you've noticed them, it's hard to not see).

The quick-start guide in the manual says "avoid displaying the same image for long periods of time" and calls out some things like sports and video games that are problematic. But it never occurred to me it might be something like playing the same game for 10h over a week's time. And I know it was that light because my friends' schedules meant our window was ~9:30-12 or so on certain nights.

If the manual had said anything like "as a general rule, avoid anything that shows the same things for more than an hour without a break" I'd have taken that seriously, and if I didn't, it'd be my own fault. But I had no idea, and there's no guidance.

I talked to Panasonic customer support and said "Hey, what's the scoop, this was pretty light usage, what do I do?" Their response was "Screen burn-in is not covered in your warranty."

That's it. 3-month old thousand-plus-dollar TV having burn-in issues under what I felt was entirely reasonable usage, and that was their response. If you have this TV and don't have this issue, that's totally awesome. But at the very least, know that you're operation without a safety net or a spotter or instruction on how to avoid the fall.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2012 2:44:01 AM PDT
Jon Powell says:
Did you break-in the plasma panel for the first 100-200 hours before playing video games or other static images/letterbox bars? Because, if you didn't, you really should have. Don't play any video games on this for the foreseeable future and just stick to regular TV/blu-ray watching. I would use it this way for at least 3 months or a few hundred hours until that image retention slowly goes away.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:31:06 AM PDT
Ryan Burke says:
i was going to ask the same question

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 12:42:56 PM PDT
Don Berg says:
Yes, its recommended to be more careful for the first 400 hours or so.
Best to use slides during off hours to get to that point quicker.
Its very likely however you don't have permanent burn-in, just IR.
It can take several days during off hours to remove the IR - use the scrolling bar feature as much as possible especially after watching something that might cause IR (bright white logos, etc) and also enable the pixel orbiter.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 10:30:27 AM PDT
I myself have got around 250 hrs on my 50ST50 and should have 400 by the end of the
month when my new PS3 shows up. Even then i probably will wait another 100hrs or so
before playing games on it just to be extra safe. I love Amazon, but bought my plasma
at BB because they do have burn-in protection.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 2:45:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 2:46:24 PM PDT
J. Solle says:
LCD and LED Tvs have the same problem. Run the white screen program to erase the ghosting.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:54:59 PM PDT
I had the same thing happen to me on the previous year's model and Panasonic behaved the same. Beyond frustrating that using a TV essentially breaks it. 3 months in and lots of burn in from normal/acceptable usage. In my case it is not image retention, it is burn-in and doesn't lessen no matter how much I use the scroll bars, etc. I wish that Panasonic would take a more proactive stance and help customers be aware that they can ruin their brand new expensive TVs by, well, you know, using them. Such a huge waste of hard-earned money. I don't think I will be able to purchase their products again....

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 6:02:41 PM PDT
Daniel Tai says:
Running slides do not prevent IR or burn-in, its only making sure you age your pixels better and uniformly display the same color. Hopefully this is an IR problem. What is your video setting set at? I had minor IR issue when I had my contrast and brightness setting at 100 (default), IR disappeared and haven't re-appear once I've change the contrast to 70-75 and brightness to 50-60. Running scroll bar now and then helps too (scroll bar feature times out in 15 minutes, you will have to manually restart it if you would like to continue)

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 1:00:32 PM PDT
svgtom says:
Image retention seems to be worse on this year's models than previous ones. So far I've had two bad cases of IR. The first happened about a month after getting the set and the second occurred after five months of use (thanks to NBC's Olympics logo). In each case it took over a week to completely disappear.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 5:07:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 5:42:38 AM PDT
I wish the reviewer would update his review, after a week or two went by.

There is a significant difference between "IR" aka "image retention" - which diminishes over time and has no lasting effect and true "burn-in" which is irreversible and denotes permanent damage to the screen.

I have NOT seen any credible reports of true burn-in in many years.

I own two Panasonic plasmas - one sold in 2009 that shows zero image retention let alone any burn-in. I also own a 2010 Panasonic plasma that often shows image retention yet this disappears over time and certainly it has no true "burn in". Terms are important here!

I wish the reviewer would update his review.

Certainly any image retention that lasts for more than a few days is annoying and buyers should be aware of that fact. On the other side of this equation is if this is not true "burn-in" - which I doubt it is - that should be pointed out too.

The other thing that should be pointed out is that most image retention is faint and best observed in a low light situation on a dark or white screen. I'm certainly NOT suggesting this is a desirable characteristic but many owners may miss it if they have a fair amount of ambient light in their viewing room or don't look closely at their deep blacks or bright whites.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 3:58:28 PM PDT
LividLeon says:
Thought the new plasma tv suppose to have pixel shift.
It is is stated in the ps3 manual not to use plasma and projection tv.
The type of graphics use in borderland is very is vivid what cause the burn the HUD
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (244 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1,500.00