4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not great, July 29, 2010
This review is from: 3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector (Tools & Home Improvement)
I received my eagerly awaited muffs today. At first I thought they were dead on arrival. Tip for those that claimed yours were DOA, hold down the power button for a few seconds. You will hear a tone and then it starts or stops depending.

First irritation is I had to buy a 25-30 dollar special cable to attach my mp3 player, a feature that had me pick this over a lower tier product in their line.

Second irritation, it has hiss as others have mentioned. Maybe I have the gain turned up too much since I have 30db loss in one ear. Yup, gun related, wear protection.

To be fair, I think they have initial power on with a bit of gain so I did play with it listening to tv and I'll back off on the hiss at normal levels of wearing vs not wearing. When you crank it up though, you get hiss.

Reasonably light weight, battery compartment on left side, might be an issue for left handed shooters. Nice ear cups, doesn't seem like your head is in a vise.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow and shoot my uncles .45/70 highwall to see how it functions in the primary role I purchased it for. I'll update the review.

What would make this perfect?

3.5MM stereo cable included.

Less hiss at high gain.

MP3 input not being mono.

Separate volume controls or a balance control. Some of us have hearing issues that is asymmetrical.

Took it out shooting today. It worked fine, one bother is that the foam microphone screen on my right side fell off. I'm not sure if I hit it mounting a rifle or what. That was annoying. It was nice being able to hear and converse while wearing muffs. I'm still leaving it at 4 stars.

Nov 18, 2010

I've used these a lot at the range. I really like them. I wish I had bought this or one of Peletors early models years ago.

June 24, 2011

Audio quality in mono with my MP3 player is good. I've been the the range many times, cut the grass using the muffs and I'm still on the original batteries. Basically, I'm saying battery life is excellent!

I wish it had left and right gain controls and a stereo input for mp3 players plus a little less hiss. I still feel good about my purchase though.

Wes

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2013 12:27:38 PM PDT
Where did you get your cable to use your ipod/mp3 player? I'm sensing from the reviews that this is a special cable not available at radio shack or even Amazon.

I found something that looks like it's the one on the 3M website (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=L7RJFRCG24gsLDL9MLP7QVglX3H6S27L81bl), but I can't actually find that same thing on their "shop 3M" website or on Amazon.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 2:15:36 PM PDT
W. Szumera says:
FL6N is what you want to search for. I purchased the cable from a non-amazon vendor. But I see that FL6N finds the cable on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fl6n&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afl6n

HTH,