Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of duty, sacrifice and injustice, October 26, 2001
This review is from: Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1) (Mass Market Paperback)
I am writing this review because I found this trilogy impossible to put down but emotionally draining. This was the kind of story that grabs your guts as well as your mind. If you have read Haldeman's "All My Sins Remembered", you know what I mean. After I finished the last Assassin book I spent hours trying to sort out my feelings. It hit me that hard.
After I read the first book I told my wife she might like to read it. Now, I don't think so. This story isn't light entertainment, its something you experience. If you want a black and white hero story, go elsewhere. If you want a story that can pull you in, wring you out, and leave you feeling like you have really been through something, then read this. This is good, strong stuff. If it makes you a little sick, don't say I didn't warn you.
I will mention that the book, being a narrative from the point of view of main character, flows much better than the typical multi-party fantasy novel that has to hop from person to person to keep things synchronized. The flow is so strong I literally had difficulty putting the books down, stealing any spare minute I could to read just one more page. Thank goodness it was only a trilogy - I wasn't getting near enough sleep.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2008 9:17:16 AM PST
Tricky says:
Good review - I agree with it 100%. This is not like the majority of fantasy I have read before - and it's hard to accept that things may not work out like I think it will and has in all the other series and authors I've read in the past. I just finished the second book - so I still have the third and thus more nights of "wow, I've been reading in bed for 2 or 3 hours instead of sleeping. Great, another day with four hours of sleep."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2008 2:41:53 PM PDT
I agree. I also find it immensely difficult to put these books down. When there is an option of reading these books, or sleeping, Robin Hobb wins every time

Posted on Jan 4, 2009 1:17:49 PM PST
Totally spot on -- was gut wrenching finishing the first book at 0200 and not having the second one to pick up and roll on with... quite impressive how you get emotionally involved in the ebb and flow of the book. Really fantastic read.

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 4:56:19 PM PDT
Paige Ehly says:
You should all read Robin Hobb's other trilogies. The Tawny Man series follows Fitz and the fool 10 years later. Amazing!

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 2:39:05 PM PDT
If you thought that this trilogy was emotionally engaging...You should finish the Tawny Man Series which is basically books 4, 5, 6 of this farseer trilogy. I could not believe the story's final conclusion and the depth at which we saw and understood Fitz life. This is one of the best book series I have ever read.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 8:33:38 PM PDT
Good review. These are my favorite books, and perhaps only Dan Simmons' Hyperion series comes close to being so emotionally turbulent. To this day, I nearly sob when I remember: "Of one other I must speak, one dragged into that conflict and intrigue only by his loyalty to me. To the end of my days, I will bear the scars he gave me. His worn teeth sank deeply into my hand several times before he managed to drag me from that pool. How he did it, I will never know. But his head still rested on my chest when they found us; his mortal bonds to this world had broken. Nosy was dead. I believe he gave his life freely, recalling that we had been good to one another when we were puppies. Men cannot grieve as dogs do. But we grieve for many years."

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 7:46:39 PM PDT
It is also my favorite series, "The Realm of the Elderling" Which is actually three trilogies. Farseer the Liveship Traders and then Tawny Man. The Fool is the only character that is in all three, and for that reason I did read them out of order. Don't get me wrong the Fool is my favorite character ever but I wanted to know about Fitz. For everyone that hasn't read all three trilogies I would recommend it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 5:15:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 2, 2015 8:51:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 8:50:34 AM PST
I've read hundreds of fantasy fiction authors. Just literally made lists and mowed through them over the years. In my opinion, Robin Hobb is the best. Most realistic characters. (These are people that you know intimately and really care about.) A beautiful fantasy setting full of mystery and wonder. Characters are put through hell/extreme injustice but they have such "aces up their sleeves" such that you read on with justified hope.
And the Farseer + Tawny man trilogies combine to the best ending I've ever experienced in the written word.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 11:21:22 AM PST
spica says:
This review describes exactly how i felt after reading this trilogy. However, i didnt feel emotionally drained so much as emotionally shaken, and i think that shaking did me some good.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›