Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Inheritance- For Those Who Haven't Read The Book, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Inheritance (Inheritance Cycle) (Hardcover)
Important: I recommend that all potential buyers only read reviews that clearly state there are no spoilers in the review title (or the title clearly intends the review for said audience). There are one too many reviews that give away critical information within the first couple of lines.

It is difficult to review a book such as this; a person's liking of the book is obviously subjective (as you'll notice with any novel). I am surprised that the current highest-rated review contains many spoilers, and one can only assume that most of those reading the reviews have already read the book -- or perhaps they are too lethargic to actually read the book for themselves.

As it is, I would do my best to give an honest review, without spoilers, for those who have not read the book.

Firstly, I must admit that I did enjoy the book, though it did have many flaws. Perhaps I am alone in this, but Paolini's writing skills seem to have lessened since the second novel; in Inheritance, many smaller plots and potential side-stories remain unexplained or simply not pursued. A few extremely engaging characters seem to have underlying motives and/or secret histories that also remain woefully unexplained. Furthermore, the chapters seem somewhat rushed, and one cannot help but feel that the story does not flow as smooth as previously -- it feels somewhat distorted. And yet, perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the story was its ending (I would not elaborate, for fear of giving something away).

And yet, even so, I still enjoyed the book immensely; as one who has read the previous books and has become slowly captivated by the story, it would prove quite difficult not to enjoy 849 pages more -- whatever flaws it may contain. With that being said, I would highly recommend any prospective readers to get the book, and enjoy it in its finality.

Note: I was also just recently informed that Paolini may return to the series. In my negligence, I apparently missed the author's "acknowledgements." He writes, "When I do return to it, I hope to address a few of the mysteries that I left unresolved in this series." So perhaps Paolini's failure to explain these "mysteries" was, in fact, just him waiting for a better time to reveal them. That being said, one cannot help but hope that he writes an entire novel on Angela, who seems to become more interesting by the page throughout Inheritance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2011 8:47:19 AM PST
Effie says:
Thank you for making a conscious effort not to include spoilers in your review... I am waiting for my book to arrive, but I still wanted to read reviews about it, and I did not realize that people thought that "review" means "provide a synopsis including spoilers." No. At least put spoilers at the end of your review or something, instead of right smack at the beginning.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:55:37 PM PST
Scott says:
Excellent review-

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 6:32:13 AM PST
tmsmith says:
Thank you for your spoiler free review:-)

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 3:06:19 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 24, 2011 8:38:28 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 3:06:21 PM PST
xFiendFyre says:
Thank you so, so much. Unfortunately, I started reading a different review for this and the FIRST LINE gave something huge away... honestly, if someone's read the book, they don't need to read reviews. The people reading the reviews are people WHO HAVE NOT READ IT YET, to see if the book is good and worth reading! I honestly don't know what some people are thinking...

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 4:45:28 PM PST
he says right in the acknowledgments that he's going to right more books eventually to tie up the lose ends he left.

Paolini, Christopher (2011-11-08). Inheritance (p. 849). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 7:34:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2011 7:37:09 PM PST
CBRASDAS says:
I am glad that certain of you find my review beneficial.

And I appreciate your reply Gaspar; I am guessing though that most people -- similar to myself -- did not read the acknowledgements. But thank you for the comment. I'll probably update the review soon given this information.

And if you have the time, I would appreciate it if you could clarify this: the acknowledgements were on page 849? Isn't that the last page of the story? I do not recall any acknowledgements on that page, but, then again, I was a little distracted by being so frustrated with how the series ended.
I would check myself, but I was little short on cash and decided to sell my book when I finished it.

Ah, I just realized that you cited the Kindle edition. Would anyone else care to clarify what page it was on?

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 9:27:38 AM PST
Joe says:
I am almost positive that many of Paolini's side stories were never developed because they were cut from the books. If they actually were in the books Brisingr would probably twice as long and Inheritance even longer.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:04:50 PM PST
Mars says:
I'm really impressed with your review. A lot of the three star reviews were people ranting over how the story didn't turn out the way they'd hoped. I really enjoyed the book myself, like 5 stars worth of enjoyment...but then I did read the acknowledgements right after finishing the story. If there was no hope of more storyline on Angela I probably would have done a 3 star review myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:16:42 AM PST
Josuha says:
This may be a minor spoiler, so beware, Something else that was missing that I don't think any one noticed, remember in brisingr when Eragon gave Helen an orb of gold, and promised Jeod a ride on Saphira? Unfortunately, it seems he never got his ride either. I would like to see an epilogue to the story
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›