Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking the trend, March 27, 2013
This review is from: BioShock Infinite [Download] (Software Download)
First off, If you have the PC version and get occasional stuttering, make sure you set the following in the XEngine.ini (the one in My Documents\My Games\Bioshock Infinite\...\ folder, not the steamapps folder)

- texture pool size to a higher value (512 or 1024)
- Min and max framerate to 59 and 61
- background texture streaming to false (this one may or may not give you issues, so try it if the other two don't give you good results)

EDIT: *important* a commenter has stated that disabling background texture streaming has fixed the stuttering but at the same time caused a hanging at a load level screen. Keep this in mind if you are going to use this tweak, and if you do use it, please post a comment here as to its effectiveness. I havent encountered a problem myself, but YMMV

Now to the actual game....there are plenty of reviews here already that praise the hell out of it, so I'll save my breath and not repeat too much of whats already been said. But I wanted to say this and developers please take note: you don't need the newest game engine, uber-high res textures, and gimmicky physics (i.e. Crysis 3 brought to its knees by a swinging rope) to make a great looking game. Irrational/2K didn't spend their resources on live rendering individual blades of grass, tessellating every imaginable surface, and making anatomically accurate yet somehow emotionless faces. They gave us a work of art rather than follow the current trend of games making a desperate attempt to wow us by imitating the "real world". Who came up with the idea that FPS need to be totally void of imagination and artistic style, while at the same time require a $1000 GPU to run smoothly? I don't give a crap if I could see the individual eyelashes on an NPCs face; the novelty goes away in 5 minutes. Give me more games like Bioshock Infinite that let me forget about the real life for a few hours.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2013 4:40:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 5:53:43 AM PDT

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 4:51:50 AM PDT
Brendan Ross says:
I agree with you in that I also prefer play and story to graphic goodies. Some other games are like this, too, like Borderlands 2. But in general I think we both know that there is a solid core of PC game enthusiasts who play on the PC specifically for the eye candy, and they are what drive the developers to push it with things like Crysis.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 5:14:37 AM PDT
UCI2CI says:
Ah, I didn't see your review. I must say, setting the min and max framerate limits to 59 and 61 helped me tremendously. Setting a higher pool size alone didn't help me. Vsync alone is sometimes not enough. I know in a few games (Far Cry 3 and Skyrim for example) I need a an "FPS Limiter" like MSI Afterburner OSD + Vsync to get stutter free gameplay.

As for bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming, I got to disagree with you there as well. It helps with loading stutter by preloading a bigger chunk of textures rather than streaming them in later. I had loading stutters in Alice: Madness Returns (another Unreal Engine game) and setting bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to false got rid of the stutters there as well. BUT...there are people saying that bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false causes NPC issues in Bioshock, hence my warning. I havent seen any though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 5:20:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 6:35:43 AM PDT
... says:
Sure, but why 59 and 61? You aren't seeing 60 smooth fps without those adjustments (I am)? Also, these frame rates require an amount of GPU power that most people don't have (he with less GPU power has lower frame rates, as he's going to run the thing maxed, regardless, 99% of the time, if the game remains "playable"), so smoothing will always be FALSE, given that they'll be well below 59 fps at all times, in most cases (just making assumptions, here). I set AMR to 25 and 60, given that 25 is the lowest playable frame rate (in my book), and 60 is ideal...perfectly smooth 60 fps (minus PhysX interference), though I haven't attempted your solution to the stuttering issue there (never bothered me enough to try, unlike Infinite, which is constantly loading). I will try your (counter-intuitive) streaming adjustment and see what happens...thanks for the useful info. Did you ever find useful .ini adjustments for the PhysX issues in AMR? Nothing I read online or tried ever made a significant difference, so I've always run the game at "medium" PhysX.

Haha, I like the default max frame rate: 480. Less than ideal. "Hmmm...well, I see no reason why AMR should run at higher than 31 fps...but Bioshock: Infinite? You shall have...480 frames per second." Lols...many lols.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 5:37:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 5:55:02 AM PDT
UCI2CI says:
If you're not seeing stuttering, then I wouldn't bother changing anything else. Again, you might risk NPC issues with streaming set to false.
As for Crysis 3, yeah, I knew what I was getting before I bought it....another demo of the Crytek engine and a measuring stick for my e-penis. Crysis 1 wasnt that bad of a game though.

Edit: I ran AMR at medium Physx too, and that never bothered me enough to try and tweak it in the ini. Alice was meant to be played at lower FPS anyways, to give it a movie like feel. But the stuttering was terrible!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 5:41:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 5:42:57 AM PDT
... says:
Crysis 1 became marginally OK (yet still predominantly boring) in 2011, when it finally became playable (due to CPU limitations...the game absolutely will not use more than 36% of a quad CPU...terrible coding) at decent settings, thanks to your friend and mine, Mr. 2500K. :) From 2007 to 2011, it was garbage (in my not-so-humble opinion). Eh, to each his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 5:48:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 6:09:15 AM PDT
... says:
Not to turn this into a Crysis 3 discussion, but never once did I actually bump into the tessellated frog (pardon: toad) during gameplay. Very disappointing. (Nor did I bump into anything that looked anywhere near as impressive as anything in their tech demo videos of the game, oddly enough.) :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 5:58:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 6:00:19 AM PDT
... says:
Yeah, people said that about Bioshock too...but to me, it's vastly superior at 60 fps (I have a major aversion to frame rates under 60...I consider anything less an unsatisfactory experience ["if it isn't running at 60, it isn't running at all"]).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 6:28:21 AM PDT
... says:
Never knew Afterburner OSD had a limiter function...that may come in handy. Thanks for the useful info...always nice when someone who actually has some inkling of what he's talking about comes along in these discussions... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 1:19:35 PM PDT
UCI2CI says:
No problem, glad to help :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›