5.0 out of 5 stars Omron's ElectroTHERAPY Pain Relief Device is the real deal in a silly looking package., September 26, 2012
This review is from: Omron electroTHERAPY Pain Relief Device PM3030 (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I shook my head when I got this from Amazon Vine. It's one of those things you automatically get in your head "this is a piece of junk" before you even try it. However, in good faith, I gave it a benefit of a doubt. I was in for a surprise.

First impressions out of the box: Laughable. This kidney bean shaped controller is odd looking lightweight plastic device. The sticky paddles, which look nicer and better made, has a big plastic clip at the plug where it connects to the controller. The clip actually partially covers the power button. I am rolling my eyes at this...really? I can imagine that this is to keep the connection snug and to avoid strain on it, but COME ON! It looks so hokey! (Posting pics of this.)

First Try: My shoulder was hurting from doing a sawing project for my husband for a DIY home project. I figured this is a good of a chance as any to try the Omron Pain Relief Device out. I followed the instructions, placed the sticky pads of my shoulder, programmed the device, then gave it a go. The first thing I felt was a minute painless jab to my shoulder muscle. I giggled, rolled my eyes, but then more of the minute jabs came in slowly then faster. Oh my! It was like having tiny fingers giving me the most wonderful deep muscle massage. I was shocked (figuratively and literally) how well this was working on my sore shoulder muscle. I turned it up to level 2 and it was even better. Then I went for 3 - OH CRAP NO! - I backed it off to a comfortable level 2. <--- It was in this moment I realize that device is actually doing tiny electro-shock therapy on me. It went from being pleasurable to freaky weird almost painful shock. I finished the 15-min session (it automatically shuts off after that time) and was very very please with the results. My sore muscle was in a delightful relaxed state and the soreness manageable.

Surprised, I went to my husband to try it on him. I had to get past his initial "what a piece of junk" critical mentality to at least try it. We used it on his calf that had given him grief the night before. At first he was extremely skeptical, but after experimenting with settings and finding his comfort level at 3 for his leg, he actually began to enjoy the therapy. (He was like, "hey, go up to 4" ZAP "Oh crap, no go back to 3!" We had a good LOL moment there.) We did one of his hands afterward, since his hands give him the most pain all the time. There are no instructions for hands, but we did improvised, used the arm programming at low level. My husband now swears that it was the first time he has gotten serious relief on several of his fingers in years.

To say the least, my husband and I are now true believers for this still-hokey looking but effective device by Omron. My husband is happy to finally find something that is giving him some relief for his hands especially. We are still experimenting with placement for his hands, but so far we have been successful even with our bumbling efforts to get some relief for his joints.

Omron's ElectroTHERAPY pain relief is the real deal in a silly looking package. While it's not a miracle worker, it does give viable results. I enjoy the deep muscle massage it provides, my husband is enjoying the pain relief it offers his hands.

Good to know:
- Runs on AAA batteries that are included.
- The Long Life Pads are reusable and cleanable. The sticky stuff on the pads remind me of the sticky jelly toys that are washable. It comes with a tray to store, but I also reuse plastic sheet that originally covers the pads to keep the sticky surface dust free as possible.
- The Long Life Pads are replaceable for a reasonable price. Omron Electro Therapy Life Long Pads
- The device uses electro therapy. In other words, it is using electricity to shock your muscles/joints, so use wisely and heed the precautions.
- Start at level one and ease into the higher level. It can very quickly goes from comfortable to shockingly uncomfortable from one level to the next. My max level for my shoulder was 2; my husband for his leg is 3, but for his hands is 2. Each body part is going to have a different level that it finds comfortable.
- The controller device feels cheap but looks nice (except for when it's connected to the pads, then it's laughable), but is decently built and easy to operate. Flashing lights tell you which program your using and at what level.
- The clip used to keep the pads plugged into the controller is the oddest thing I've ever seen and I'm surprised that anyone would let a product go to market like that. I guess this was the cost effective way to have secure fit. This clip does partially cover the power button, but not so much where you can't use it. I'm posting pics so you can see what I'm talking about.
- It automatically shuts off after 15 minutes.

When used properly, the Omron Electrotherapy pain relief device offers a viable solution to your aches and pains. No doubt, not everyone will have the same results. However, for us, it's been one of the best little finds out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2013 6:30:36 AM PDT
Jenifer says:
I love this review! It made me laugh, but also made me want to try it. Thank you for your humorous review of this product.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2013 6:50:12 AM PDT
Raquel S. says:
Oh, you're so welcome!

I still use my Omron when I get those aches that cry "massage me now!" It feels so good. I now even use the higher levels even though I looks like I'm going through localized convulsions. LOL.

Thanks for the response. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2013 11:40:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2013 11:40:35 AM PDT
ellafan says:
I enjoyed your review.I have the Omron zapper,and it came with two long-lasting pads.I found that the device works very well,but the pads do not last long at all.Could you recommend a different set of pads,please?
Thank you!
Ellafan

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 8:01:46 AM PST
Karen in AZ says:
I LOVED this review. Got the Omron unit for Christmas. Havent used yet. But I have a Q about pads. Allegedly they are good for 150 uses (i rather doubt that). Omron has a "Pad club" for $14.99/plus tax per shipment and you get a new supply every 3 months. That doesnt make sense. If you dont use this every day, a set of pads should last at least 6 months.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2014 6:52:30 AM PST
I'd say the Pad Club is for folks that have chronic pain and use the device daily without plans to stop. I read once that a woman used her TENS device 24/7. Can't imagine the level of chronic pain that would make her want to do that... but they do help enormously for control.

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 6:57:12 AM PST
I agree about the clip. Perhaps in a less wide version it didn't hold securely. Or the final placement for the lead connection had some impact on the design. Or they had a poor QA team. hahaha Anyway, I'd love to hear the backstory of why it was released with this clip/placement design and if there are plans to change it. Off to research...

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 9:15:36 AM PDT
Blondie63 says:
Sounds good to me, lol, I'mma give it a try!!! Thanx for the review!!

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 8:59:22 PM PDT
phyllis says:
does this work forfresltless legs?

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 8:59:57 PM PDT
phyllis says:
does this work for restless legs?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (584 customer reviews)

$69.99 $29.95