Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars I Cannot Recommend This Book, January 28, 2012
This review is from: Unladylike: Resisting the Injustice of Inequality in the Church (Paperback)
Pam Hogeweide is a passionate first-time author from the upper northwest with a cleverly named blog titled "How God Messed Up My Religion." I enjoy reading what she writes to because she offers a different perspective than what you would find in mainline Christian circles. I'm sure that I would not be the first person to mention that I disagree with a lot of what she says, but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating her as a person.

The reason why I cannot recommend this book to readers is not because of the subject, but because of the source. From her blog, it is evident that Pam is a universalist and thus not a genuine follower of Christ. If I am wrong about this, I will gladly take my review down. My prayer is for her true repentance so that she will turn from being an enemy of God to a follower of His.

If a reader wants to get receive information on Pam's position from a Christian source, I would recommend heading in another direction.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2012 2:35:57 PM PST
Kit-Kat says:
I have to interject here... Pam is definitely a follower of Christ. I too subscribe to her blog - and know her personally. She is a long-time believer. I am intrigued to know what it was about her blog that made you feel otherwise.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 2:43:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 28, 2012 2:43:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 2:46:37 PM PST
Arni says:
I'm even more intrigued by the notion that universalists cannot be true followers of Christ. I mean, yes, universalism has been a minority position throughout the tradition and has been condemned as heresy a couple of times. But that doesn't make a universalist not a follower of Christ.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 3:09:24 PM PST
Droidman says:
I have to say that I disagree with you. I met Pam about 3 weeks ago and I never met anyone so genuine, caring and so much a follower of Christ. I had the privilege of hearing parts of the book before it was published. I was amazed and I definitely will get this book and recommend it to others.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 5:12:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2012 5:12:38 PM PST
Chase says:
Did you read the book? Pam is a lover of Jesus in a big way!

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 5:42:50 PM PST
C. Stauffer says:
Not to take away from what others have commented in reply to your, um, "review" of the book, but the point REALLY here is this: why would you write this and rate a one-star on the book, when you are basing it on something else entirely? This is supposed to be a review of the book, correct? But based on your "review," I can't even tell if you've actually READ the book. You may have- but you don't talk about THE BOOK in this BOOK review at all! That's kind of absurd, really.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:49:06 PM PST
A. Adkisson says:
It appears you have rated the person, not the book. As a reader of books, I find this unhelpful; as a Christian, I find this arrogant.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 8:44:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012 1:07:10 PM PST
Eric Weiss says:
This "review" is NOT a review of the book, but is an ad hominem/"poisoning the well" attack on the author. It doesn't consider or even discuss what the author has written, but preemptively seeks to dissuade people from reading the book because of the author's supposed (according to this "reviewer") incorrect/non-Christian beliefs. This attack says more about the "reviewer's" Christianity than about the author's, and what it says is not laudable. When Pam Hogeweide writes a book promoting or defending universalism, or if UNLADYLIKE actively promotes universalism (and to my knowledge it does not - but I could be wrong; I'll know when I've finished reading it), then maybe a "review" like this might be appropriate and warranted. But it's improper to use a 1-star "review" as a means of merely disrespecting the author without saying anything about the book. YMMV.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 4:44:37 AM PST
Jesus did not teach denominational division. Love the Lord God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. Judge not, lest you be judged. The first shall be last and the last first. Work out your own soul's salvation. May we all be one.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 11:09:16 PM PST
P. Walker says:
What REALLY pisses ME off is when Star Wars fans write about Star Trek! What the HELL?! Outrageous. Someone has to stop the madness.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›