4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I always wanted to know about my body, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Taking Charge of Your Fertility, 10th Anniversary Edition: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health (Paperback)
When my mother gave me this book as a gift, I raised my eyebrows at the strange title. I think it is a confusing title. However, after reading this book, I'd have to say that it has iterally changed my life. I knew nothing about my cyle or what the heck "Day 1" even meant. I had no idea why I sometimes had wetness "down there" when not aroused. I didn't know that it was not possible to get pregnant on any random day of the month.

This book took the mystery out of how my body works and explained the how and why of things I didn't even know I was clueless about. I was able to go off birth control and use the Fertility Awareness Method as birth control successfully for 9 months. We then used the method to achieve conception successfully the very first cycle we tried.

Although the author is obviously biased against other methods of birth control, I would not say that she has a distain for medical professionals as other reviews has stated. She simply explains that most medical professionals almost always assume that every woman has a 28 day cycle and ovulates on day 14...hence the little discs they use to determine your due date and conception date. They also don't take into account that you may normally have a 28 day cycle, but may have something that happens...such as stress...that causes your cycle to be long one month meaning that you didn't ovulate until later in your cycle. This is exactly what happened to me. All my cycles were very regular, then I had one cycle when I was so stressed out with all the things in my life that I didn't ovulate at all, then the next month I ovulated a week later than normal. Since I was charting (I chose not to do every single item on the authors chart...like feeling my cervix) I knew that I was fertile a week later than I would normally be, so we were able to concieve that cycle. However, when my Ob/Gyn asked what the first day of my last period was, I lied and said it was a week later so that it would be 14 days prior to when I ovulated. Once I had my ultrasound, they said there was no need to change my due date because it was already accurate based off of the date I told them I had my period.

Some people have complained in reviews that this book does not tell you what to do if you do not have the signs of fertility that the author describes. However, she does explains when during your cycle you should have certain fertility tests/procedures performed in order for them to be the most accurate/helpful. Her point is that you not allow them to base everthing off of ovulating on day 14...which is what doctors will do since they don't know your personal cycle. You have to learn to understand and follow your own cycle.

Another review complained about this book because FAM is not a new method; however, the author never says this is a new method that she came up with. She clearly states that it was taught to her, and she also states that it is almost exactly the same as the Family Planning Method that many Catholics teach.

The title is somewhat misleading, but I really feel so much more in control of my own body after reading this book, and can live my life without putting hormones in my body to avoid pregnancy.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]