5.0 out of 5 stars For every child who doesn't quite fit in, July 8, 2007
This review is from: A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet) (Paperback)
Meg Murray was one of my best friends growing up. She was imperfect, and loving, and confused, and wickedly smart, and astonishingly dense, and absolutely could not see the beauty of herself (both inside and outside). As a young girl who was also struggling with these things, I found solace and comfort in immersing myself into books where in "the real world" the same types of issues occurred, but that there were "greater" things going on, that she was so uniquely qualified to work on.

While it is true that the book can be read allegorically, it is a treasure all unto itself. I have many geeky, male friends who enjoyed this book as a child, but it did not resonate with them like it did with the woman I have spoken to. I think this is a book wonderful for all genders and ages, but especially lovely for young girls who are a little smarter than the rest of their class, who feel a little less attractive, and who are just finding it difficult to traverse their world.

Many years later, I still find myself reading or listening to this book at least once every year. When things in life start to get a little crazy, and all of those same feelings come back (only now it is being a little too smart at work, and being a little less socially skilled at networking, etc), I visit my friend Meg, and between the two of us things always seem clearer by the end of the book. :)

It is worth noting that there are 3 other books in this "series". A Wrinkle in Time is the first one, then "A Wind in the Door" (A Wind in the Door), "A Swiftly Tilting Planet" (A Swiftly Tilting Planet), and lastly "Many Waters" (Many Waters). The first three are closely tied, but the last one, Many Waters, I actually only realized existed a few years ago. Instead of Having Meg Murray as one of the main characters the book is about an adventure that her younger, twin brothers have. Still good, but a little different than the first 3.

No matter your age, if you have never read these books, and have a little bit of the "intelligent misfit" about you (or ever did), I strongly recommend you pick these books up!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2010 5:07:46 PM PST
MBK says:
wow, thanks... I didn't realize there was another book in the series. I greatly enjoyed the first 3 as a child, too and they remain on my list of all-time favorite books.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 10:07:54 AM PDT
What a beautiful review. I've been thinking about reading this and the other books in the series ever since I saw the movie based on it that came out on ABC six years ago, your review definitely sold me on that.

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 7:42:36 AM PDT
An informative and wonderful review indeed!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2011 5:00:23 PM PST
A beautiful review of a beautiful book. I first read it when in the year it was released and I was a geeky little girl with glasses and a thirst to learn. I'm 55 now and have never forgotten it. Thanks for telling us that there are other books in the series. I had no idea.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 12:56:52 PM PDT
theres another book?! i must download this! i read a book and a half a day/night and a wrinkle in time is still my ultimate favorite book.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 4:36:41 PM PST
Odysseus says:
Thank you for this wonderful review.

Just for the record, I'm a male who absolutely adored this book as a child (I identified then, by the way, with Charles Wallace). I think this is the first book that I loved, and felt somewhat haunted by, even when I knew I couldn't grasp all of it. It's a very special book in that one needn't fully feel that one "gets" everything, and can still love it.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 5:08:55 PM PST
Writer203 says:
Actually, there are quite a few books that are considered sequels to "A Wrinkle in Time." Besides the three that you listed, there is also a whole branch that has to do with Meg's children--"The Arm of the Starfish," "Dragons in the Waters," "A House Like a Lotus," and "An Acceptable Time," the last of which is considered to round out the original "Time Quintent" that started with "A Wrinkle in Time."

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 7:54:30 PM PDT
I have heard of this book alot but allways put it off as a "book my grandma would read" I never realized that it was a young adults/childrens book. This review has deffinently encouraged me to take the leap and read this book. It was also really wonderful that you explained that this is a series of sorts. I allways love reading a book when I know there is more to come. now it is time to make my purchase, happy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 7:56:21 PM PDT
This is wonderful im excited to hear that meg's story goes even farther through her children.

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 10:47:51 AM PDT
Sherwood says:
Dan Brown says this book made him understand, "Wow, reading is fun" (TIME, May 27, 2013)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,743 customer reviews)
 (1,122)