144 of 168 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Tomy Lamaze Play and Grow Toy Giraffe, Colors May Vary (Baby Product)
A Personal Warning to all who have this baby toy by Lamaze. (Stretch The Giraffe)
I LOVED this giraffe..this thing is the cutest toy ever and I had placed this on my wish list for my baby shower last May. Well..I ended up receiving the giraffe from a good friend of mine for my baby shower like I had wanted. My son had only played with it maybe twice since he's been born, so it's still pretty brand new.
My son is 10 months old now, and we just moved to a new house last week, so I re introduced him to stretch yesterday, (still in super new condition) and he had been sitting in his highchair playing with him, chewing and biting on him as most babies will do with their toys. It's to be expected.
I was upstairs unpacking, my son was in his highchair next to my husband while he washed dishes when my son started choking!!
He was choking on the white stuffing inside the toys foot! He had managed to chew the thing until it became unstitched at the seams and that's when the stuffing began to fill his mouth. He must have swallowed a majority of what he had in his mouth. Needless to say, it was a frightening moment for all of us!!
UGH! I am just so disappointed and now concerned for anyone else's children who may have this toy!
Upon close inspection of this toy after the fact, I noticed that the stitching is very poor. Not nearly strong enough to withstand the mouth of a teething baby! I noted other parts of the giraffes seams and stitching where it has signs of also beginning to become unstitched!
The very worst part is the fact that had my son gone un noticed and not attended to right away, he could have very well choked completely, or the round small plastic squeaker (also inside the same foot he opened) could have also come out and easily become lodged inside his throat! In fact there are multiple "perfectly sized pieces" including a small round ball rattle, a more flat circular shaped rattle and the disc shaped squeaker (the one my son almost managed to get out) inside each foot. Again..they are very poorly secured inside the giraffe and are a major choking hazard! I hate to think of how many babies go to bed with this toy and are possibly left alone with it when they wake up in the morning or after a nap. Parent unsuspecting, because these toys made by learning curve are supposed to be designed with safety in mind. Safety being what Learning Curves number one priority is. I would have never have thought to check those details since I was convinced this toy or any toy designed by a big name baby toy company was undoubtedly safe to let my baby play with.
This toy needs to be recalled ASAP! I have contacted Learning Curve /Lamaze RC2 department regarding this serious issue, and Stretch the Giraffe is on his way back to them for inspection. I have no doubt they will issue a recall. If I were you...and just to warn parents ahead of time..please refrain from buying stretch for now! Or if you have him already, take him away from your baby...especially babies with teeth!
In an effort to make me, the consumer happy, they offered me a new toy and that's on it's way now, but in reality, is that really enough? Or does that make up for the fact that we watched our little son choke and go through that trauma? Imagining the scenario if we had not been right there to help him...would the new toy suffice? It's horrifying imagining the things that COULD have happened and Thank God that didn't.
In addition I am going to be weary of the new toy and I am not even sure he will play with it until I inspect every inch of it, and now I need to sit with him every second while he plays with in fear that some little thing could go wrong in a toy that has been deemed safe from a reputable company I have grown to love and trust. I just believe this is an honest mistake but a serious issue that was grossly overlooked. I know that Learning Curve will do the right thing in the end.
I will never send my son to bed nor leave him to play with ANY toy, stuffed animal, or object ever again for fear that he will wake up, be alone and begin innocently teething while I am still asleep, and something similar to this may happen. It's a good thing that wasn't the case this time.
Please parents...check the babies toys! You just never know!!
Forward this to all your friends who you think may have this toy, may buy it, are expecting a baby, have infants and small children.
Tracked by 2 customers
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2008 10:44:48 PM PDT
THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
Posted on Aug 17, 2009 10:06:04 PM PDT
Miriam Chung says:
Thanks Tiffany! My 6 month old son is starting to develop jaws of steel and I was considering this toy for our upcoming trip, but will definitely not get it now thanks to your feedback. THANKS!!
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 5:16:45 PM PST
Cliff Miller says:
I'm not sure that it's fair to blame the toy here. Perhaps you should have hired or found someone to watch him while you were in the moving process.
Posted on Mar 26, 2010 6:26:14 PM PDT
Linda M. Richmond says:
TIffany hope you reported this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This government agency keeps track of dangerous toys so that if this happens a few times they can recall it. Could have been a fluke but if this happens a lot, children could choke! I have a 9-month old and just bought her this toy so I might return it. Thank you.
In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2010 12:23:38 PM PDT
Tiffany In TX says:
We were not actually MOVING when this happened. And his Daddy was right next to him while he played with the toy in his highchair. It is normal for babies to chew on toys when they are teething, and a toy deemed "SAFE" should be just that...safe! Not fall apart or have parts and rattles inside that are the perfect size to become lodged in a babys airway! I blame the poor manufacturing/quality of the stitching on the toy.
In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2010 5:55:29 PM PDT
Linda M. Richmond says:
Tiffany in TX you are absolutely right! A teething toy should not come apart when a baby teethes on it!!!! The toy was obviously poorly manufacturered.
Posted on Jun 7, 2010 10:43:40 AM PDT
I think you meant "wary" or ""leery", rather than "weary".
Posted on Nov 5, 2010 9:09:19 AM PDT
Pet Lover says:
not comparing a baby to a dog.. but dogs can chew up toys too... you shouldnt really blame the company, you need to inspect the toy each and everytime for safety hazards before giving it to a baby or a child (or a dog for that matter). People pass the buck off to everyone else and instead of playing and interacting with their baby/child, they give them a toy and figure they will occupy themselves... yes sometimes its necessary for a few minutes at times, but taking necessary precautions is a must..
i do agree that not sending your son to bed with ANY toy or leaving them alone for any period of time (with or without toys) while they are that young is a great idea! bed is for sleeping, not playing with toys until they fall asleep...
im glad ur son is ok though..
Posted on Mar 2, 2011 2:29:47 PM PST
Becki D says:
The very same thing happened with my little boy yesterday,but we were out walking,he was in his pushchair quietly choking!,I have sent mine back,disgusted
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 12:06:05 PM PDT
You can't trust anything anymore! Everything comes out of China! I have an 8-week-old granddaughter and was considering buying this for her today to start building up a stash of entertaining toys now that she is old enough to start noticing things, but I sure won't now. I also wanted to get her Freddie Firefly, but I wonder if there's any hazard with that toy, too.
The way manufacturing standards are so poor now, since China doesn't have the same laws as the U.S. regarding safety, it will have to be up to every parent to inspect every last inch of every toy they purchase. This is just sickening and I shudder to think, Tiffany, what tragedy would have occurred if your baby hadn't been able to get unchoked.
And to Cliff Miller: Apparently you haven't been around any babies, because in just a split second they can find something to put in their mouths and get choked on. I have 4 kids and have seen it all. And how is it not the toy (manufacturer) at fault if the darned thing came apart in the baby's hands/mouth? These toys are supposed to be constructed to take baby abuse. It really ticks me off (and I'm wording this G-rated) when certain people put their 2 cents worth in criticizing parents for a faulty product; this isn't the first review where I've seen this happen.