Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4,044 of 4,162 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A slightly better tablet than an iPad 2, but with a few drawbacks, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1-Inch, 32GB, Wi-Fi) GT-P7510MAVXAB Tablet (Personal Computers)
Although I bought this for my wife as a birthday present during pre-release sales in NYC, I've since used it far more extensively than her so I've purchased a second Tab 10.1 from Amazon for myself. As a background, I also have a good amount of experience using a Motorola Xoom (none with the other Android tablets though) and an iPad 2. Anyway, here are my thoughts comparing the Tab 10.1 with the iPad 2. I won't do a comparison with the Motorola Xoom (which, as of writing this review, is the Tab 10.1's major Android competitor) as the two products are really similar. I'll leave the Xoom/Tab 10.1 decision to you. Here are my thoughts:

Operating System/Interface/Web Browsing - Slight edge to the Tab 10.1 running Android 3.1 (Honeycomb). This may just be more of a personal preference as I don't like products (like the iPad 2) which are locked down. I feel a company has no right to tell a consumer how he/she is allowed to use a product (as Apple does with theirs). Anyway, Android 3.1 OS is blazing fast and going along with the Android Open Source Project's philosophy, the OS and by rote, the Tab 10.1, is ultimately configurable. Out of the box, you can easily personalize an Android 3.1 tablet any way you want, and if you can't, there is free software out there to let you do it -- there is no hacking/jailbreaking required. The Tab 10.1's interface is also a lot cleaner than the iPad 2's which can get downright cluttered the more apps you have installed. I'll also note that there doesn't seem to be a discernible difference in the actual speed/performance (loading pages, etc) of the two products. So, we're pretty even so far, but Tab 10.1 clearly gets the edge for one thing -- Flash. Enough said.

Battery life - Strong edge to iPad 2. Both the Tab 10.1 and the iPad 2 are rated for 10 hours. Keeping the screen at about 75% max brightness, I seem to get between about 7 to 8 hours on the Tab 10.1 and 9 to 10 hours on an iPad 2. This may be a result of the screen brightness as I've noticed the Tab 10.1 has a slightly brighter screen at 100% than the iPad 2. Regardless, the iPad 2 has better battery life.

Resolution/Screen - Strong edge to the Tab 10.1's 1280×800 screen vs the iPad 2's 1024x768 one. If you think this is negligible, you are very wrong. This means the Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen has a 30% greater resolution than the iPad 2. You'll notice this difference in every thing you do -- not just when watching movies and photos. The increased resolution causes much less eye strain especially when reading webpages. Additionally, the Tab 10.1's widescreen aspect ratio seems to work a lot better for watching anything in HD. It's a shame the iPad 2 uses the dying 4:3 aspect ratio as there is a lot of wasted real estate on the screen in the form of black bars when watching anything in widescreen. With the Tab 10.1, the screen is entirely filled with video.

Cameras - Strong edge to the Tab 10.1. The Tab 10.1 blows the iPad 2 out of the water here and it's not even close. The Tab has a front-facing 2.0 megapixel (vs iPad 2's 0.3 megapixel) camera and rear-facing 3.0 megapixel (vs iPad 2's 0.7 megapixel) camera. Sure, you're never going to replace your P&S/SLR/video camera with a tablet, but it is nice to have a camera on there that can take a decent picture/video when you're in a pinch.

Portability - Even. The Tab 10.1 is a negligible 0.03 lbs lighter and 0.2mm thinner than the iPad 2.

Cachet - Strong edge to the iPad 2. Apple has a monopoly on this, it seems. Apple is just the trendier product. Odds are nobody will look at a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and think "Wow, that looks really nice. I need to get me one of those." I'm not saying the Tab 10.1 is ugly, but the brushed metal finish on the iPad does feel and look a bit nicer.

Price - Even. I'm really surprised Samsung didn't undercut the iPad 2 prices, even by $50.

Is this the iPad 2 killer as has been reported here and there in the media? Honestly, no, but that's more because most Apple consumers purchasing iPad 2s are brand loyal -- not necessarily looking to buy the best product. I really wish I could rate the Tab 10.1 with 4.5 stars. For reference, if I were to write a review of an iPad 2, I would give it a 4 stars. Giving the Tab 10.1 5 stars seems a bit too generous as I feel the lack of an SD slot and slight plasticky feel are noticeable drawbacks, as is the price (which isn't lower than an iPad 2 with the same amount of memory). And giving the Tab 10.1 4 stars seems a disservice as I feel that it is ultimately an outstanding tablet and, in my opinion, definitely has an edge over the iPad 2.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 18 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 338 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2011 4:20:08 AM PDT
Excellent review. Thanks

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 5:35:05 AM PDT
Chuck says:
nice tablet, but lack of a microSD slot is an absolute deal-breaker for me.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 6:27:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 12, 2013 6:42:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 10:22:48 AM PDT
Gary says:
I agree, Chuck. I was excited over the initial reports on this tablet, but was disappointed over the reports that it doesn't have external storage. That is just an absolute deal breaker. I have an iPad 1 and have become painfully aware of how crippled one of these devices can be. Accordingly, I refuse to buy another tablet until someone makes one with the following characteristics:

1. Flash capable.
2. SD or micro-SD support on the OUTSIDE (e.g., I don't want to have to pop the back off of the device to get at the slot).
3. A screen that is the size of the iPad. I'm afraid I've just gotten used to it now.
4. Non-proprietary (i.e., not locked to the iStore) for apps, music, video, etc.
5. User replaceable batteries.

Now, I know I will NEVER get this out of Apple, so Motorola, Samsung, et al., I'm looking at YOU!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 10:46:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2011 10:48:33 AM PDT
M. Patel says:
I think you're right, Gary. Right now, no external storage on this tablet is disappointing, but we're slowly going to a wireless society. You can even charge your mobile devices wirelessly now (powermat, etc). Think back to when you got your first computer without a 3.5" drive . . . it was a radical change, but we adapted. I think Samsung made a huge mistake not including an SD slot, but getting information onto the device isn't impossible.

A great option for you would be the Toshiba Thrive (which comes out next month). The Thrive is set to have an SD slot AND user replaceable batteries, but it's also 0.35 lbs (25%) heavier than the Tab 10.1 and noticeably thicker. It's a give and take right now. The great thing is that with so many tablets flooding the market, there'll be the perfect tablet for every person, no matter what they want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 11:46:32 AM PDT
Gary says:
I'll take a look at the Thrive, thanks for the tip. I'm not all that worked up about weight and thickness...afterall, I'm forced to carry around a big ol' honkin' laptop right now.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 12:33:47 PM PDT
This may be one of the most concise and well written comparisons I have read so far and that includes from the "professional" review sites. Thank you for the honest and thoughtful comparison of the two products. If only the Galaxy Tab had a microSD I would be set. Epic fail on Samsung's part.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 4:12:38 PM PDT
Closest thing would be the Toshiba Thrive but it's also 10.1

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 5:17:00 PM PDT
As well as the Acer Iconia tab a500 that has microSD

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 7:50:29 AM PDT
b1ackhawk says:
The biggest 10" android tablet competitor right now is actually the asus transformer, second in tab sales only to the iPad. I ditched my iPad if one and its fantastic. Only thing its doesnt have is usb, but it does have one on the dock.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Next ›