Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars How to spot a counterfeit grip and not get ripped off., May 25, 2011
This review is from: Nikon MB-D11 Multi-Power Battery Pack for Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera - Retail Packaging (Camera)
The brand new grip I received from the lowest priced Marketplace seller is clearly counterfeit. A $213 fake.

I complained to Amazon and the seller and received a refund, but this is what to watch out for:

1) The Nikon grip is supposed to be magnesium (metal). The one that arrived is plastic. The real grip is fairly heavy, not cheap plastic-y crap.
2) There should NOT be a "Made in China" sticker on it
3) There should be a weather seal.
4) The pin is supposed to be black (not silver)
5) The cap should be white (not clear)

An Amazon seller is selling fake merchandise, and whether it is on purpose or by accident, I am appalled that they are being allowed to continue to sell on Amazon. Counterfeit products are highly illegal, immoral, and a bane on the economy.

I recommend paying a little more for a real one from a trusted source/authorized reseller. You can get a cheap fake or even a known brand on ebay for 1/4 the price, if that's what you're looking for.

The "real" genuine Nikon grip deserves 5 stars, but I'm leaving my review as 1 to help alert others regarding the caveats they should be aware of when purchasing from non-authorized Nikon dealers. Good reviews get lost in the pack, but people actually read bad reviews and I think this is worth knowing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2011 8:53:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2011 8:54:32 PM PDT
I agree with you 100% regarding the counterfeit trade. I purchased a 72mm lens cap for my Nikkor 18-200mm VRII lens, having left the original at a friend's house out-of-state, and later thinking that I'd lost the replacement, I returned to the same page where I purchased that one and found buyers who were warning of counterfeit lens caps and showing the differences with pictures they'd uploaded. Although I was on the same page as before, the seller was different this time, so I purchased a new cap and it was a good one. Later, I found the other lens cap and sure enough, it was a counterfeit, having the same tell-tale signs that other buyers had demonstrated in their photos.

In this case, there is no harm to me the consumer, but I highly resent being sold counterfeit goods and I'm inclined to believe that there is no excuse for it as the seller should know where the products he buys come from.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 5:58:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2011 10:20:54 AM PDT
D. Bowers says:
It might be noted that the tag on the top of the genuine Nikon grip says made in China, it does not say Nikon at all. Nikon is only stamped into the rubber on the bottom of the grip. Plus this is not a review of the Nikon Grip. You didn't get the genuine Nikon grip, so all your comment does is drag down the ratings on a great product.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 3:09:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2011 7:39:47 PM PDT
Meowcat says:
The real one has a heavier weight, a better-made jog dial, a thicker box/cardboard, and the inside battery compartment is a little different.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 3:25:19 AM PDT
wilca images says:
I totally agree that Amazon needs to take a look at their sellers and withdraw those who sell inferior goods on the site.This has happened too often and when complained,nothing seems to be done.Please take heed, your reputation is at STAKE.we spend millions of dollars on this site so continue to make it what it was...a genuine site for genuine products

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 12:16:40 PM PDT
James Pappas says:
I am a bit confused about how to identify the "sticker". Can you possibly elaborate.

One suggestion... in the pictures, there is a user picture that shows how to modify the base with an O ring to prevent wobbling. In that picture is a label "made in china" which the regulatory symbols and also the serial number. Is that the sticker that you refer to? Mine is a rectangular badge that it recessed into the plastic case. I cannot tell if it is a sticker or not. Also... I am not too sure that I can tell if the body is made of magnesium or plastic.

Quite frankly, the fact that Amazon does not crack down on counterfeit items is an inhibitor of me doing business here.

Hopefully you (or someone else knowledgeable) will see this post and comment. Maybe I should just take a trip to a local Nikon dealer an examine theirs to compare.

/Jim

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 7:20:50 PM PDT
RioFastRacer says:
Never thought I'd get scammed at Amazon. I've spent thousands here at Amazon but A. Wright is correct. Today I just found out I bought a fake grip here at Amazon. I paid $220. Talked to Amazon and they are giving me my money back even though it's been over 2 months. Here is a link that is helpful to determine if your grip is real or fake. http://fstoppers.com/fakembd11

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:32:37 AM PST
John says:
I have an authentic grip and the sticker on top does say made in China. I also purchased a fake grip and the authentic one has very subtle differences. The biggest giveaway with the fake grip is that the dials are reversed. Your aperature and shutter speeds are reversed from what the dials on the camera body do. The Authentic Nikon grip has the dials functioning exactly the same. Another giveaway is the spin lock on the side of the battery tray. The fake one is a different shape and the green symbol on the authentic grip will be horizontal while the fake one has the symbol pointing down on an angle. The final dead giveaway for me is the rubber on the authentic grip. The authentic grip has rubber that perfectly matches that on the camera body which has a very light texture. The fake grip has rubber on it with a lot greater texture to the rubber that does not match what is on the camera body.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 8:41:18 AM PDT
PhotoOne says:
I was thinking of getting this because I always think (Thought) it was best to go OEM for quality sake. However, it seems that you can even get stung by Amazon on this stuff. Remember, the front page of this add at Amazon clearly says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". So.... this is on Amazon's back, not the bogus seller that screwed them. This is what happens when you "resell" products via a "ROBOTIC" process and never, ever look at the item you are putting your reputaion on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2013 8:34:07 AM PST
M. Koll says:
"You didn't get the genuine Nikon grip, so all your comment does is drag down the ratings on a great product. "

So what. Amazon displays only the one rating. Until they show all the ratings, in an easy to find and read position on the very page of the product, I too will put all my comments and ratings in the main ratings.

Things will only get fixed if Amazon, the seller and Nikon work together to get these fakes out of the system. I have no problem at all dinging the manufacturer for failing to do so.

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 8:35:19 AM PST
M. Koll says:
Thanks for the detailed review, Meowcat. Nikon and Amazon really need to work on getting the fakes out of the system, or they deserve all the negative ratings they get.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›