2.0 out of 5 stars We really *tried* to like it., February 25, 2012
This review is from: Breville BES860XL Barista Express Espresso Machine with Grinder (Kitchen)
This is an aesthetically pleasing machine with many niceties, from its easy pull plug to all the little extras that come with it and which are designed to store in a neat little drawer in the base. The one thing it didn't come with: the capacity to make good coffee. After being used to Saecos and Juras, this machine produced very poor crema and routinely extracted a volume that was far below that of other machines for either single or double settings. And it chews through beans, since the grinding mechanism seems to result in grounds being spilled outside the wand no matter how careful you are removing it from the grinder and packing it. It looks gorgeous but it's going back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2012 10:43:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 10:44:13 AM PST
John Lee Way says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 12:06:13 PM PST
MG says:
Hi John, I don't think you've pegged me, no. Sadly, I don't go out all that often and I typically prefer tepid water and I'm not a fussy person when it comes to beverages. I don't know whether you're working for Breville or not, but really, the coffee produced by this machine was inferior. We are strictly espresso drinkers and my husband (from Madrid) and I are longtime users of various machines. We're both physical chemists and when I say the extraction volume was low, I mean it. There is no way, other than setting for single or double servings, to adjust the volume of the liquid, and the amount for a double was less than two ounces. The coffee was bitter, with Starbucks, Illy or Lavazza beans and unacceptably low in volume. Perhaps the unit we received was defective, perhaps not. I review as I see it. Gorgeous machine, many niceties but bad coffee. Sorry.

Now, I bet you're the one who thinks he knows it all but struggled with chemistry in college because it's not a quick study, right? Pegged ya?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 7:59:52 AM PST
Hi, I'm trying to decide "Jura" and "Breville" or "Saeco". I had been using "Krups XP 7245" for 3 yrs which I got it from Williams.I recently have been doing research of getting another one...
May I know how long have you had Jura? I hope to find one is durable in reason price.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 4:07:11 PM PDT
Terry I says:
So, a few things that may address your issues with the Breville machine:
1. You CAN change the volume of the liquid. You can custom program the amount of water for either the single or double draw by using the Program button. The manual explains how to do this. You could also manually draw water by holding the single or double button, but you don't get the pre-saturate cycle if you do that. I have larger coffee cups, so I increased the water amount on my machine.
2. If the espresso is bitter and/or burned, then the grinds are probably too tight in the portafilter. You can tell by watching the pressure gauge on the front of the machine; if it pegs to the right, it's too tight. You can adjust by reducing the grind level a notch or two (while the grinder is running); like others, I find grind level 12 to work best for my beans. Other variables that affect the pressure are the amount of tamping pressure, and the amount of coffee used to fill the portafilter (which you can also adjust). Conversely, if the pressure gauge stays all the way to the left and the espresso is weak and/or sour, then you need more pressure and should increase the grind level.

It will take a few tries to fine tune the settings for your preferences, but once you do, it will consistently repeat. The only variables become your tamping pressure, and the beans that you use. Just be sure to run the cleaning cycle when the Clean light comes on, I find that it keeps the machine running like clockwork.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 4:26:44 PM PDT
Hi Terry,

We were unable to adjust pressure for sufficient change in taste, and tried several different brands including home roasted from Sweet Maria's.

Also, we were not seeing a significant change in volume with adjustment on this unit. As I say, I do not know it was defective. We returned it and are very happy with the more expensive Krups.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 4:27:24 PM PDT
MG says:
Just saw this... Our Jura lasted three years, which does not justify the cost. Thankfully. It had been a gift.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (295 customer reviews)

$799.99 $599.95