Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is, December 5, 2013
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 25475A Breakfast Sandwich Maker (Kitchen)
First things first.

This cooks one sandwich at a time -- most people will find this silly to mention, but there are negative reviews on here that mention that as if it were a surprise.

It takes 5 minutes to cook -- this is stated on the product marketing material, and being electric, it takes additional time to warm up like-every-other-electric-heated-appliance. That warm up time is less than 5 minutes, after which you can make sandwiches back to back at 5 minute cooking intervals. Cleaning between sandwiches is a snap, I usually just use a napkin.

It only accepts sandwiches that fit in it -- really? Yes, this is mentioned in negative reviews as well. Believe it or not, if you want to make a sandwich in this appliance, you will have to find bread that fits in the thing, say, like, english muffins or mini-bagels. Oh the trauma!

Now some caveats... you'll need precooked meat to go in the maker. It will not fry bacon. If you looked at the picture and thought that it could fry bacon in the position it's in, in the same amount of time it took to do an egg on top, you might need to reassess your culinary expertise. My work-around for this... precooked bacon that I place in the machine by itself during warm up, the meat is crispy by the time the maker is ready to go. No time wasted. Also, it will not make the inside of the bread crispy, since this is not touching any heated surface... see bacon remark above. I have not found this to my disliking, and rather like how it melds the sandwich altogether into one eggy, cheesey form. Others that want each item perfectly segregated might have to look elsewhere.

I did find that if you are finicky like me and prefer the traditional breakfast sandwich arrangement... bread-cheese-meat-egg-bread, that you will have to cook your sandwich upside-down, in other words, in the bottom compartment place the top bread, then cheese, then meat; close the tray, and in the top compartment crack the egg and place the bottom bread. When finished, slide open the egg divider thingy, open the machine, and turn the sandwich right side up, and voila.

As mentioned, cleaning is easy. The middle part completely comes off, it just unhinges and can be washed separately. If cooking sandwiches back to back, I don't find this entirely necessary, I just quickly wipe all the surfaces with a napkin and get going. (my pre-cooked bacon routine above has the added benefit of making it even easier to clean) However, the non-stick surface alone does its job terrifically, with or without bacon grease.

Overall I love the maker. I have a delicious breakfast sandwich in about 9 minutes from turn-on to finish, and have only one small item to clean afterwards. If I were feeding a family, of course I wouldn't depend on a single maker, but if you assumed you could, I'm sorry, but you're not so bright. An on-off switch would be nice, as I feel like the wear and tear on the plug would eventually be too much, but I paired my maker with a simple outlet switch I already had so I can leave it plugged in all the time, similar to this: Leviton 1469 W Plug In Switch Non Grounding

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Initial post: Feb 3, 2014 4:01:50 PM PST
Bobolo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2014 6:48:47 PM PST
Nick says:
I've been called many things over various subjects, but "arrogant" over a kitchen appliance review may have topped them all. Thanks for the laugh.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 5:13:37 AM PST
Dave says:
I for one actually thoroughly enjoyed the review. It "almost" amazes me when I read certain reviews which consist of the writer complaining about something or other which is Clearly Stated within the description of the item. Please keep your reviews "real" for the sake of us who "can take it!"

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 4:39:43 AM PST
Lise says:
Loved your review and your insight into the review process. So true! I had a few good laughs : )

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 6:46:12 AM PST
Thanks for the your review style! As a seller on here, I wish all customers had the logic you possess! I don't know how many times we get dinged from a customer saying our pictures are deceptive (because it's a close up). Even though...the DIMENSIONS are included with the picture, and other pictures of someone HOLDING IT IN THEIR HAND! Logic escapes many.

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 3:47:01 PM PDT
Steve Fisher says:

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 5:11:05 PM PDT
Liked your review. America needs more people like you and Captain Obvious.

As I read more and more of the reviews , I decided to stay with the old frying pan and toaster

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 9:32:39 PM PDT
Medgbear says:
I loved your review and it gave me and my hubby a great giggle. The worst is I now want one from reading your review. LOL Thanks for the real-world view with humor, keep up the honest reviewing!

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 9:40:55 AM PST
I loved reading your review. The humor and touch of sarcasm sprinkled throughout made my day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2014 2:36:06 PM PST
Mr45Bullitt says:
I thought your review was spot on! Very humorous and informative! That person is left with the egg on their face. Thanks for the review. I got this for Christmas and first time out worked like a charm.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›