4.0 out of 5 stars MSI GE70 Apache Pro with GTX860m, April 17, 2014
This review is from: MSI GE70 Apache Pro-012 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I have had this laptop for the better part of four days and have had a chance to play around with it, game with it, tinker with it, so I think that I can post an honest review for the few days of ownership. If there are any updates to my review I will be sure to post them as well.

Four stars is what this laptop will get from me thus far, which I believe is an honest and fair score (albeit a relatively positive score) considering:

Pros: For the price, this laptop is relatively a good value. I have been reading reviews on gaming laptops for the better part of the past year now, and I can say that the new GTX860m packs a pretty good punch for what you pay for. (I'm assuming that a majority of purchasers will be buying for gaming as well). The 860m is quite a bit faster than the 765m and supposedly requires less energy. I was playing BF4 on Ultra (1080p) on a large conquest 64 player map whilst getting a steady frame rate of 40. The low frame rate was around 28 whilst the high frame rate was 58 (these are frame rates that were sustainable that I could physically see in the upper left corner while running FRAPS).

It comes with a 7200 RPM HDD which is a decent upgrade from the 5400 RPM drives gaming laptops usually come with. My previous laptop had a 5400 RPM HDD which was very sluggish.

The case is beautiful, sleek, thin and relatively light. If you are considering between the GT series and the GE or GS series I would recommend stopping by your local Fry's and putting hands on all three. I personally was going to get the GT or the Asus ROG 750 series but I ended up not liking how bulky they were once I was hands on with them. The GE is much more nimble than the GT.

The sound quality from the laptop speakers are incredible for laptop speakers. They play plenty loud and can easily fill a small room with noise.

Cons: The fan is incredibly loud especially during gameplay. I guess this is the trade off as I assume the GT series does not get as loud with the larger base and rear blowing fans. I've noticed that during gameplay the CPU and GPU get rather hot. I ran HWMonitor as the high was in the 90's C for CPU and the 80's C for GPU. MSI could have done a much better job with the temps if they'd use higher quality thermal grease and heat pipes from the factory.

So far the fan is really my only con (besides maybe some of the bloatware and other gimmicky software).

Note (to user and MSI): I'm frustrated that it costs a premium for any small upgrade. If I wanted to get an SSD in place of the HDD I should be able to do this with only paying for the difference between the two (instead of retail price and then some). Same goes for other components. I know that their are companies that allow for upgrades on the MSI (xoticpc) but even they charge a premium for any upgrade. It's cheaper to do some upgrades (HDD to SSD and memory) yourself after the laptop arrives (but then you run the risk of voiding warranties I assume).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2014 7:02:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2014 7:04:05 PM PDT
leoisright says:
I have an MSI ge70 and you can add the msata drives, ram, and new sata drive without voiding your warranty. Call them and ask. They said if you start replacing the CPU/GPU/thermo and other components you can void unless an authorized repair company does it which makes sense.

I replaced the thermo with ICW Diamond and it will help some in the cooling department. But also, the fans are loud. It's a laptop and weighs 5lbs. The cooler boost technology speeds up the fans and distributes the heat faster. And the temps you posted are pretty normal. You stated you played on a multiplayer map with high settings and fps. So to expect a quiet laptop will be impossible for now.

Overall, try to get a laptop with these specs, performance, and price. You simply can't. It's MSI made for gamers by gamers. The case is complete sexiness. Then to add the multicolor steel series keyboard with killer network... It's a 5 star...lol

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 8:05:51 PM PDT
jhughy says:
These are good points. I did add better Corsair Dominator memory. What I meant in my review, was that it'd be nice if laptop builders allowed the purchaser to upgrade the memory, among other components, at the factory.

Companies like xoticpc allow you to upgrade components but they charge retail (not even OEM) for the components. It behooves to do this upgrade after the purchase and then try and recoup the cost by selling the replaced component on ebay.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (50 customer reviews)

$1,299.99 $1,299.00