5.0 out of 5 stars The new speed-champ among all my (budget-priced) class-10 cards, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Transcend 32 GB High Speed Class 10 UHS Flash Memory Card Up to 90 MB/s TS32GSDHC10U1E (Personal Computers)
I ordered this Transcend 32 GB Class 10 UHS Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10U1E during an Amazon Lightning deal. Prior to this purchase, I have used over one dozen memory products (CF/SD cards and USB drives) from Transcend, and have good experiences with this brand.

I tested this card upon its arrival using several benchmark programs. Note that my computer only has an USB 2.0 port, so it is unable to reveal the full potential of this card. But here are my findings anyway:

First, I used a benchmark program called "H2testw v1.4" to find out the write speed for large (1GB) files. This is essentially the same as the sequential-write speed used for SD card speed ratings. To qualify as a class-10 card, the card must be able to sustain sequential-write speed of 10MB/s.

Results for all my class-10 SDHC cards, from fastest to slowest:
- Transcend TS32GSDHC10U1E (this card) : 15.1MB/s [*See update below]
- HP CG790A : 15.1MB/s
- Transcend TS16GSDHC10E : 14.6MB/s
- PNY P-SDHC16G10 : 13.6MB/s
- Kingston SD10G2/16GB : 10.7MB/s
- SanDisk SDSDU-032G-AFFP : 10.6MB/s
(See the chart I uploaded to 'Customer Images')

For completeness sake, I also benchmarked this Transcend UHS1 card using other programs, including "Flash Memory Toolkit v2.0" and "CrystalDiskMark 3.01". The results are even more impressive (see 'Customer Images' section for details). The card delivered excellent write speed for both large and small files, while most other cards performed poorly for smaller files.

Of course, the REAL benchmark needs to be done in the actual application. For that, I inserted each card in my Canon Rebel T1i, set it to save both RAW and JPEG formats, then took 10 consecutive shots in burst mode. Again, the Transcend UHS1 card is the fastest, taking only 16.2s to save all 250MB of data. This beats my previous speed-champ (HP class-10) by 0.5s. It is interesting to note that the Sandisk Ultra took much longer at 23.8s, even though it also qualifies as a class-10.

The capacity of this Transcend card, as reported by my computer, is only 30.1GB. This is actually normal because computer people count one Gig as "2 to the power 30", which is 7.3% larger than one billion. So 30.1GB translates to over 32 billion bytes, which is '32GB' according to marketing people.

Bottom Line:
This Transcend UHS1 SDHC card turns out to be the fastest among all class-10 cards I have ever tested. Unfortunately, since I don't have an USB 3.0 port, I am unable to unlock its full potential. I still consider it a great value, especially at the Lightning deal price I paid (around 80 cents per GB). But in case this item is not on sale, you may want to consider the HP class-10 card which is almost as fast when used in USB 2.0 mode.

[*Update on May 5, 2013]
The old card reader I used (Transcend M5) was limiting the speed of this Transcend UHS-1 card. I re-ran the H2testw benchmark with a new Transcend USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K), and the Write speed jumped from 15.1 to 22.5MB/s. The Read speed also jumped from 18 to 30MB/s, which is limited by the USB 2.0 port I used. I should expect even better results if I had a USB 3.0 port.

[**Update on Dec 26, 2013]
I re-tested this Transcend card on USB 3.0 port, using 'CrystalDiskMark 3.01 x64'. The new results are:
- Sequential Read speed increased from 34.8MB/s to 90.0MB/s (+160%)
- Sequential Write speed increased from 29.0MB/s to 41.6MB/s (+43%)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2013 10:25:52 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Transcend 32 GB High Speed 10 UHS Flash Memory Card TS32GSDU1 (up to 45 MB/s, 300x) tops 85 MB/s reading large files with Transcend's TS-RDF1 Express Card reader. Could a USB3 reader be faster?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2013 12:02:19 PM PDT
OldAmazonian,
When I tested the Transiend card you mentioned (TS32GSDU1) using the TS-RDF5 card reader on an USB 2.0 port, I got sequential Read =35MB/s and Write = 29MB/s. I'm sure that its Read speed is limited by the USB 2.0 port. But I don't have a computer with USB 3.0 port to verify that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013 10:39:01 PM PST
Old Amazonian,
- Sequential Read speed increased from 34.8MB/s to 90.0MB/s (+160%)
- Sequential Write speed increased from 29.0MB/s to 41.6MB/s (+43%)

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 12:17:28 PM PDT
Morris in NC says:
Thank You for the Updating of this Review with the Newer Tech that You have had access since the 1st POST.... :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›