Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpasses my expectations,but read my update before buying!, February 11, 2013
This review is from: VIZIO E320-A1 32-inch 720p 60Hz LED HDTV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
This set replace a 27" CRT TV which broke down.I found the set-up easy, although I had to call Vizio tech support twice during the process to walk me through the settings. They were quick to respond and politely and expeditiously walked me through in clear English (they are located in the U.S.A)

I was initially satisfied with the video, but found the audio to be tinny and annoying.At the time of order through Amazon, I also ordered the low priced HDMI cables and Square Trade 3 year warranty for $ 29. Two days later, my cable guy replaced my TV box with an HD box using a more substantial HDMI cable than what I ordered. I was flabbergasted with the result. The video filled the screen with a picture of photographic clarity and the sound quality is such, that I shelved my plan to use external speakers. I couldn't be happier with the end product.

I returned the cables to Amazon using their prepaid shipping label (the shipping charge was equal to the price of the cables. I swear by Amazon and would not think of making a purchase without the feedback of their reviews.

While I made my purchase based on all the favorable reviews and the promise of tech support for the life of the TV, I have a bit of trepidation after reading many complaints concerning their service. My cable guy assures me that they had a lot of trouble with their sets until two years ago and stated he now considers their TVs to be of high quality with lowest prices.

Update: I remain very pleased with the quality of the video and audio.Following are the picture settings I have adjusted, which you might find helpful.they apply to a movie picture setting using Cablevision with a TV box with HDM1 cable.

backlight ... 66
brightness .. 52
contrast .... 49
color ....... 45
tint ........ 0
sharpness ... 4

UPDATE#2 (April 7,2013): After owning this set for two months, I am still amazed at the quality of the video and audio. There are,however,some occurrences which may benefit you through my recent experience which may be food for thought. Before I go further,be aware that like many other seniors in my age group, I have little understanding of the technical jargon and comprehension of today's communication devices that go beyond the science of conversation with the aid of two dixie cups and string.

Shortly after Cablevision installed an HD box and HDMI cable which brought out the picture and sound quality that pleased me, I noticed a lipsync problem that became manifest on several cable channels(the sound lagged behind the picture with progressive gapping to two or three second after an hour's viewing.)

Cablevision made four attempts to correct the problem, changing the HD boxes three times and the HDMI once without any success.I contacted Vizio support and was told to change the PMC setting on the HD box. Cablevision stated there is no PMC setting on the boxes used and they didn't know what a PMC refers to. Finally, Vizio suggested doing away with the HDMI cable and use three single cables in its place and I will get the same reception quality that the HDMI cable provides. This was done by cablevision and the video and audio became synchronized. It was explained to me that an HDMI cable is composed of three cables in one.

While I now enjoy watching talking heads without words trailing their sealed lips, I must pull out wires and plug in the jacks of my DVD in their place since it does not have an HDMI connection. This is somewhat of a nuisance, but I rarely use my DVD and it is not much of an effort, less so than having to return the set to Vizio and be further aggravated.

I must add that Vizio responded to my e-mails within minutes or hours and were quick to respond to telephone calls. They are headquartered in South Dakota and speak in good old Americanese. Also Cablevision was very responsive and courteous in their attempts to correct the problem.

The question remains as to whether my problem is limited to only my set or is it prevalent to this model? What HD boxes are compatible with this set?

I mention the above to save you the aggravation I experienced the past six weeks of multiple calls and tech visits.If you want to discuss this problem, feel free to forward your comments.

P.S. I changed the menu settings above from what I previously listed, increasing the picture quality.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2013 11:02:18 AM PDT
Lake Waters says:
My set has a Lip Sync audio adjustment. Not sure how much it can offset the sound but it's worth a try. It is available on the A1 version. (The version which has no headphone jack.)

You didn't mention if you tried this adjustment in your post.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 12:10:02 PM PDT
serenic says:
Yes, I had tried the Lip Sync adjustment with no benefit. I further learned from Vizio that my problem is not a faulty set,but a common one in which the cable box does not have a PMC setting capability.They also stated that in such cases, the remedy is to not use the HDMI cable but the three wire solution mentioned above. As stated, switching the plugins to use the DVD is no problem. I remain happy with the set and recommend it to others.

Posted on May 24, 2013 7:17:16 AM PDT
pab1960 says:
Thanks for great review info! I am going to get this for my husband for fathers day. The old style TV in the bedroom has to go!

I have seen this advertised other places and it is listed as a smart tv - is it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 8:09:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2013 8:11:42 AM PDT
serenic says:
Patricia, I have owned this Vizio TV 4 months and couldn't be more pleased. I am still amazed at the picture quality when compared with my old picture tube set and find the sound very acceptable, however, I am not into hi tech gadgetry.I also like the idea of having an American based tech support facility with techies who clearly speak English. If your husband has gadgetry needs, then I would suggest he reads my post and that of others before making a decision.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 5:55:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2013 11:48:22 AM PDT
Lake Waters says:
This specific model is not smart. They offer a smart version for about 40 dollars more. I think it is called the E320i .

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 7:07:56 PM PDT
Obi-Wan says:
The problem with the lip sync is not the TV but one that lies with the cable company. I have a 32 and a 55 inch and rarely have this problem with them with DirecTV. Cable companies do not have the speeds or the band width they need for a consistent signal. The HDMI cable is the only way you can get true HD from your TV and a high cost cable will not improve your picture quality. The $5 HDMI cable that I bought works just as good as a more expensive cable. My 32" said 720p HD but is 1080p which is full HD and can only be viewed with an HDMI cable, this includes blue ray players.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2013 2:38:49 PM PDT
Steve K. says:
Just a quick (nit-picky) comment, component cables are also capable of producing the same 1080p HD picture that an HDMI cable can produce. You're absolutely correct that a $1 HDMI cable and a $50 HDMI cable are, for all intents and purposes, identical. Many studies easily found via google on the internet have carefully measured signal quality of different cables and found the same result. HDMI cables were sold to the public under the guise of better picture quality and ease of use. The real intent was to allow significantly enhanced copyright protection. HDMI cables allow communication to and from devices vs. traditional rca and coax cables' essential 1 way communication. The two way communication allows a "handshake" to take place to verify you have original copyrighted materials instead of a copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 9:27:17 AM PDT
Steve K,
Thank you. Interesting!

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 11:30:17 AM PDT
Tiggaluv2 says:
Thank you for your review. Very clear and concise :)
This is in my price range but I was a bit hesitant about the brand. After reading that they are based in the U.S. I think I might just give this tv a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2013 3:34:28 PM PDT
serenic says:
Tiggaluv2: I remain amazed at the HD reception of this set and highly recommend it over the more familiar name brands which are more costly.

But again, this is not a smart set and if you want TV streaming service such as Netflix, then spend a few more dollars for their smart model. My viewing needs are simple and I find this model ideal, and yes, dealing with American based support is an added incentive to buy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›