Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

1,434 of 1,497 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, and the price is a steal!, September 5, 2005
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 201 Lightweight Over Ear Headphones (Electronics)
This product is one of the best bang for the buck items I have ever owned. They may end up costing me a bundle, however.

The HD201 came to my attention after reading a little debate on headphones on a bulletin board I frequent. Someone recommended the HD201s as being phenomenal for the money.

I'm not an audiophile, but I do enjoy music and computer games where sound is important, so I thought I'd give them a try. The only other "cans" I've used have been the cheapos that come with portable CD players and a pair of Coby CV-200s that I bought seeking something cheap that would be better than the poor quality phones I have had in the past. The Coby units were a minor improvement, but bass rumbled like crazy.

Enter the HD201s. These closed phones (they cover the ear with a foam pad instead of sitting on top of them) have a padded plastic headband, a long 10' cord that terminates in a mini jack (it comes with a 1/4" adapter). The earpieces have some swivel to them, and they fit my rather large head and ears just fine. Comfort level was as good as any headphone I was used to. I plugged them in to my computer (with a decidedly basic 5.1 soundcard) and began to listen.

The sound is jaw-dropping if you are used to the garbage that ships with portable music devices. I popped in some CDs, from classical to metal, and the lack of rumble in the bass and the clear highs were a treat. Remember, I'm no audiophile (yet) but even to my tin and uneducated ear, the difference was easy to hear. Violins in "Adagio for Strings" were strong and clear, gone was the low rumble in the deep bass of Zep, and I even began to truly note the shortcomings of the audio in some MP3 and "oldies" recordings. Sound in games was great, and I caught some nuances in first person shooters that improved my play.

I was now aware of the shortcomings of all the other cheapo headphones I had used, including the Coby unit, that until now I had considered "good enough". They just flat out sound better across the full range of sound, from low to high.

I was a bit surprised that I could max out the volume on my computer without making the HD201s too painful...perhaps they are designed with more power in mind than my system delivers. My portable CD player drives them to about the same volume levels, loud, but not ear shattering. They might not satisfy those looking for super booming bass or earsplitting volume, but perhaps an amplifier might change this.

I can't give your an expert review of the HD201s, nor translate what the tech specs on the box mean. I can tell you that for the price, I am deeply impressed with the quality of sound. I would be impressed if they cost a few times as much.

A true bargain, but I worry that this might be the launching point in to a world of audio gear that I can scarce afford. If these things sound this good, perhaps I really need headphones made by Grado or the high end Sennhieser stuff, a new soundcard, probably an amp, and about the system in the living room.....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2008 10:32:12 PM PDT
C. Lee says:
Just don't try those high end headphones for any extended period of time, or you'll find yourself not wanting to go back. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to high audio quality...

Posted on Nov 22, 2008 3:40:14 AM PST
just Rae says:

Posted on Jan 7, 2009 6:19:12 PM PST
nysnowbird92 says:
3 minutes into using mine though i can tell you the sound is muffled and the left earpeace isn't as loud as the right.. this is enough for me to shelve them no matter how cheap they are. If you turn it up (as you have to if you want it regular volume) the treble sounds tinny and i just couldn't continue. I guess they're 20 bucks for a reason and the good ones are 300. It's a shame because i was trying to avoid replacing my $80 sony's that died. At least they were free from pepsi but still i could have gotten 2 more crappy tshirts for that price.. i hope pepsi gets with the program next year. A free peace of crap is still a peace of crap...

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 7:04:01 PM PST
G. Newton says:
As a professional audio engineer, I highly recommend the Pro grade Audio Technica M-40's. I can wear them for hours on end while mixing. Insanely comfortable, over ear closed design, with both sides swiveling a full 90 degrees which for recording is cool as you can listen through only one and still keep track of the "live" stuff going on while tracking. Not for portable use of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2009 3:15:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2009 3:16:23 AM PDT
Frostbite says:
"Know exactly what you mean....... made the mistake of putting on a set of Bose headphones in Target the other night. WOW! Now I've got the fever big time."

Those things are overpriced pieces of trash, at that price point you can get some really nice stuff for your money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2009 11:17:56 PM PDT
Sloper Dude says:
If you don't care for these low end Sennheisers, try some a few steps up. I've owned several different pairs of mid-range Sennheisers, and the sound quality is astounding, especially considering the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2009 11:17:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Feb 8, 2011 3:52:48 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 12:59:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2009 1:00:03 PM PDT
I tried some Bose QC3's in Target too... I like the sound of my $15 Sony MDR-V150 Monitor Series Headphones with Reversible Earcups better. I totally agree with you, Jake

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 8:44:06 AM PDT
do these headphones work with ipods?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2010 10:43:04 AM PDT
Sloper Dude says:
Sure. Anything with a mini stereo jack.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›