5.0 out of 5 stars Big step up from the SX30IS, September 27, 2011
This review is from: Canon SX40 HS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch Vari-Angle Wide LCD (Camera)
I've only had the SX40HS for 1 day , but in comparing the photo's from the SX30is I own to the SX40hs the quality of the photo's are much sharper with true to life colors, the biggest improvement I see is in low light. The low light photo's are sharp and bright but with that natural lighting look.I purchased the SX30IS last fall and was generally happy with it. When I heard that the SX40HS was to have the new Digic 5 processor I jumped at it. I love the fact that it's an all in 1 camera, HD Video, zoom and wide angle photo's. The SX40HS has the new Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor and a high-sensitivity 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor dropped down from 14 Megapixel in the SX30IS. This advanced Canon technology delivers stunning image quality with reduced noise and blur and for the first time in the super zoom it brings high-speed burst shooting and 1080p video to the party, even though the video looks super it's only at 24fps, why not 30 fps is beyond me. As I play more I'll add to this post. My SX30IS is up on E-Bay as I type this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2011 9:26:20 AM PDT
I own the Canon S3 IS which I love, but I think it's about time to upgrade, the SX30IS didn't convince me so I waited for a newer release from Canon. Would you please upload some photos when you get the chance.

Congrats on your new camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 10:50:22 AM PDT
SweetChelle says:
I agree. I am looking for a little above the sx30is and Im glad Canon came up with this new release. Please post some pictures! So excited to see it and get one of this new cam for my birthday!

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 11:30:56 AM PDT
P.Broadnax says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 10:00:17 PM PDT
Roger James says:
I wonder if the IS is competent enough to get a sharp hand held image at maximum tele in daylight for the sx40hs. It doesn't seem possible but this would be a good test for the IS. I have the SX10 is and S3is and both have good IS that allows good images at maximum tele. The maximum range of the sx40 seems too extreme for a steady hand held image or am I wrong?
My ultimate extreme test is a clear image at maximum tele on a high speed tender in choppy water. The Sx3is and Sx10is both passed with amazing images, if the Sx40is is competent, than this will be my camera for my next cruise, that extra range looks appealing. These camera are ideal travel cameras, along with s95 and newer s100 which can't be beat.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 4:03:30 AM PDT
"http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/galleries/sample-images/canon/34256/1/0/canon-powershot-sx40-is-review-sample-images-gallery.html"

Okay seriously?! I can see the noise written all over these pictures like no tomorrow! Who's taking these pictures?!

These pictures examples don't impress me at all. They are lifeless, full of noise, and dull. Not exactly what I was hoping for from the new SX40.

I'll "borrow" one from my big box store and give it a test run, but if it doesn't measure up (like the Sx30is didn't) it going to go back for a full refund.

Ho hum, seems Canon has lost it in the megazoom department.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:31:19 PM PDT
Chris Hall says:
Would love to see a comparison of the SX10 & SX40. I have been so fond of the SX10 I haven't upgraded yet ... but am thinking about it

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 4:19:43 PM PDT
SweetChelle says:
Ordered this camera for my birthday and I'm waiting to get it in the next couple of days. Im excited and cant wait to try taking pictures! Please upload pictures too!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 11:05:03 AM PDT
W. Nelson says:
Just sold my Pentax KX..never thought I'd I would buy another bridge camera like the Fuji S800Fd I had before the KX. But if this Canon has the low light/high ISO quality as the Pentax,Im buying one since my shoulders were burnt in a fire and it's weight with extra lenses in a camera bag were too painful for me.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 7:40:04 PM PDT
does anyone know for how long can you record video on this sx40?
is it like about 10 min at a time?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 5:16:23 AM PDT
It depends on your SD Card, its size, besides that, It got no limits.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›