3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best new sibling book, December 4, 2007
This review is from: The New Baby (Paperback)
My toddler loves Little Critter so I ordered this thinking it would help prepare him for his new sibling. I wish I had checked it out at the library first. The parents tell LC about the baby the day before she comes home (was Mrs Critter never pregnant?) and when she arrives she looks and acts like a 4+ month old baby, not a newborn infant. She also only gets a bottle, which may confuse your child if you breastfeed/fed. My son thought they were giving the baby a bottle of glue. I would look this over at the library or bookstore before purchasing it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 8, 2010 7:43:12 AM PDT
C. Oliva says:
Was the baby adopted? Maybe the story left room open for that? Just curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2010 9:10:11 AM PDT
Ulyyf says:
No, the assumption was that baby = bottle. This is a common one in new-baby books, and if you're not bottlefeeding you have to really dig around to find one that doesn't treat that as THE only way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 7:38:40 PM PDT
A reader says:
I don't know if that's the case with this particular book, but I'm sure some books are written specifically to keep this possibility open. I'm grateful, because I'm preparing for a second adoption and actually want books that don't assume the mommy has been growing a big belly. I think this one will work for us, as will "I'm a Big Brother."

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 7:29:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2011 7:34:17 PM PST
DEBBIE DEAN says:
I don't mean to sound rude, but I almost didn't buy this because neg reviews usually mean low quality content. Children don't care if the book matches real life. No big explanation needed: "Some people do it that way, we do it this way,"
Seriously do you think your kid is taking notes to analyze later?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 10:06:23 AM PST
Ulyyf says:
"Seriously do you think your kid is taking notes to analyze later? "

No. I think the kids are absorbing these messages and NOT critically analyzing them later. I think they're accepting what they see presented to them without questioning it. That's a much bigger concern.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 8:22:32 AM PDT
Wow. You make it sound like "baby=bottle=evil." Just tell your kid that some mommies breastfeed, some mommies give their baby milk in a bottle. What's the big deal?

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:42:34 AM PST
M. Prabhakar says:
Thank you for this review. I am having a hard time finding a book to prepare my son for our new baby that portrays breastfeeding. Since I will be spending a substantial amount of time nursing her, I think it's important that my son be prepared for that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (263 customer reviews)

$3.99