5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give it 10 stars!!!, July 9, 2009
This review is from: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) (Hardcover)
When I read the Hunger Games, I read it straight through the night, from 1AM til 5AM. Couldn't stop reading even though I had to pee badly. After I finished it, I was dying for the sequel. DYING!!!! When I found out the ARC would be available in the spring, I bribed everyone I could think of to get me one. And yes, I got it. The day I got it, I couldn't look at it until 1AM again. This time, I promised myself, I would only look at the first chapter and then put it down. Riiiiight. It was 4:30AM when I finished reading and immediately began plotting to find out when the next book ARC would be available.

I thought the first one was fantastic. In the back of my mind I felt that the sequel just couldn't be as good. How could it? Boy was I wrong! It was even better! My heart was racing the whole time I was reading it and I simply couldn't put it down. I believe Ms. Collins is the MASTER of the pageturner. Every chapter ends with almost a cliffhanger feeling. It compels you to keep reading. It physically traps you into the book so that you just can't put it down. If you can't read this book in one sitting, then I urge you not to even look at it until you can. Like the first one, you will not be able to put it down. The house could have been on fire and I doubt I would have noticed.

Since we got to know Peeta and Katniss so well from the first one, what the sequel does is invest us even more deeply into their emotional well being. I won't give any other spoilers than what has already been said. So the book starts with Katniss as the face of the rebellion because of her act of defiance in the first book. As rebellion grows, the President sets up his revenge - and when I found out what it was, I literally sat up in bed and shouted "Oh NO! I can't believe they are doing this to them!!!" Yes I was talking to my book. That's how deeply this book sucks you into this amazing and disturbing dystopian world. It makes you want to grab up a weapon and join the rebellion.

One thing I have to say, I was deeply satisfied with the ending of this book. The first book ended in such a way that I was bothered by it and itchy for the next book. With the end of Catching Fire, I felt it was absolutely right and thrilled with the conclusion. But I'm still DYING for the third and final book of this amazing book series.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2009 6:04:48 PM PDT
how could you be satisfied with that ending???!?!? i thought it was 10 times worse than HG, i don't know how i am going to survive the next yesr not knowing what happened to my Peeta!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 4:45:44 PM PDT
K. Hudson says:
It was a pretty awesome ending, you have to admit. What other author would be so bold as to leave their book at a cliffhanger? When chapters end in a cliffhanger, you still have some hope that the conflict will be shortly resolved. Ending a book in a cliffhanger is absolutely unheard of! It was a thrilling choice! (I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of impatience before the next book comes out, though.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 4:52:22 PM PDT
Wolfe Moffat says:
C'mon Lauren! Collins upped the ante in this one, and NOBODY, I mean NOBODY, called her bluffs. If too many people did, I'd be shocked. Can't wait for book #3!!! Doggone good review.

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 7:28:21 PM PST
I was sooo lucky I started this series after all three books were out! I went from book one to book two in one day. Then ordered the third on on Kindle so I could continue. I think of myself as a slow reader, but I read all three books in two weeks. Can you believe the cliff hanger?? "Katniss, there is no District 12?"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 12:54:09 PM PDT
Spoiler, Writers 4 Literacy, not cool!!

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 12:55:39 PM PDT
Good review and you got a helpful from me, but sadly I must disagree. I"m about to write my own review on this and was disappointed in the flightly character of Katniss -- she's selfish in one chapter, self-sacrificing in another and then flips out later in the book - I suppose being a teenager has something to do with it, but she did not have my sympathy at the end, for sure. Good review!

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 4:25:56 PM PST
Kathy Jenema says:
you read the hunger games in 4 hours?!? it took me 2 1/2 days (not including meals and sleeping) to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 4:32:53 PM PST
Speed reader, probably. LOL.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 12:40:54 PM PST
Chevalier says:
i thought this book was terrible honestly. the ending was predictable; not only did Haymitch give it away, but it was obvious they weren't going to end the games with everyone dying but one; kind of like you assume in the first one. I didnt know how they'd break out, just that they would somehow. the action was boring; the plot development was mediocre. Hopefully if they make a movie of CF then they massively overhaul the story to make it not a snooze fest. THG was a gripping, brutal book that keeps you intent on reading it. CF was a struggle and a bore.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 3:36:11 PM PDT
jprat027 says:
wow you should comment more often ....love your comments ...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (15,217 customer reviews)
 (11,449)