4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than I Expected!, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum) (Hardcover)
I wouldn't exactly say that Janet is back, but she definitely made a U-ie and is heading back towards Jersey. I loved books 1-13. 14 was just plum bad. 15 started out great then went right down the toilet. 16 was a total snooze with no plot and copied/pasted dialog. So, I had no hopes for anything good. Especially after reading the excerpts.

But I was pleasantly surprised. I really think Random House had something to do with this by giving her a boot in the patoot to produce something of quality. It's not even close to the best book in the series, but it's much better than the last 4. Almost gone is the moronic slapstick. There were only a few eye rolling moments. I don't know what her obsession is with hobbits, midgets, and monkeys, but she has to at least mention them in each book. I haven't found any laugh out loud humor since the earlier books, but there were a few scenes that made me smile.

There was actually a plot. No scary bad guys like in the older books, but this bad guy didn't just fade into the darkness with no resolution. Janet limited her recycled ideas. There was only a couple thrown in there. And finally poor Ranger gets the girl for a change. This doesn't mean there was any movement in the triangle...which is really getting old. Lula didn't break wind nor did any character in this book. A nice and refreshing change.

It's obvious that this was part of a larger story that was watered down with a lot of food and eating to stretch the word count. That's probably why 18 will be out in November. But I enjoyed this book. Janet still has a way to go to get this series back to the level it once was, but at least she's heading in that direction. Will 18 be the final book and Steph picks a man? I don't know. I would rather see this series go out on top instead of the direction it was heading....Happy Days without Richie Cunningham. I can honestly say that I am looking forward to 18 now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-27 of 27 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 12, 2011 5:08:42 PM PDT
While this book is definitely better than the last few I would agree that this is not vintage Evanovich.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2011 5:11:51 PM PDT
I too miss the laughing out loud from the first books. The decline of the series is similar to other authors that start churning out titles and forget to really write.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2011 5:29:06 PM PDT
Dano Five-0 says:
Yes it is very much so. I hope she can just take a good look and take us back to the good Old days.
The start was just great. And books 1- say 13 are 14 were just a gass to read. Evanovich needs to take us over the top again. I hope she does not crap out on us now. I really want to see what comes in Nov...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 6:17:00 PM PDT
myword says:
It's in her newsletter

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 3:19:58 PM PDT
Dano Five-0 says:
I just hope Janet gets back and going like the good Old days. 18 will not be it. Steph can go on for years to come. 17 was obvious that the story was just the start of things to come. i hope I an right!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 3:21:17 PM PDT
Dano Five-0 says:
In her online E letter. 18 will be out in Nov... Hope it is just the start of more to come...

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 3:40:12 PM PDT
I agree with you. This was not a great book, but it was much, much better than the last few.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,218 customer reviews)

$28.00 $19.32