ARRAY(0xd9129c94)

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me proud to be a feminist, October 16, 2012
This review is from: A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master" (Paperback)
I received an advance reader copy of this book from the publisher.

When Rachel announced this project on her blog, I thought that it seemed a little bit too close to A.J. Jacobs's "The Year of Living Biblically" to fully engage me. Some gimmicky things like dressing in a very modest manner, renting a computer baby, or being a literal Proverbs 31 woman. I love Rachel's writing, so I knew that I would enjoy her story-telling, but I figured this would be one that I'd read, and then it would likely sit on my shelf beside the Jacobs book.

I was so very wrong.

Of course Rachel's writing was simply amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed her first book, and in this one, her writing has only improved. She touches on all emotions, and I found myself alternately laughing, crying, and fist-pumping my way through each chapter. She is an amazing wordsmith and this book is a testament to that.

And certainly Rachel did the gimmicky things, but they were not what this book was about and anyone who stops there is missing out on the richness and beauty that is contained in these pages.

Rachel spent a month in skirts and headcoverings, but she also spent a month examining some of her own biases related to the way that women dress.

Rachel spent a weekend with Chip, her computer son, figuring out if someone who can't multi-task can be a good mother, but she discovered that what some might consider a hindrance could benefit her in her own style of parenting.

Rachel spent a month trying to live like the perfect Proverbs 31 woman, but discovered that valor could be found in a group of women choosing to give their time to help a friend or by being a wife who knows her limits and does what is best for HER home.

Over and over in this book, Rachel shares with us how the perceptions that we have of what it means to be biblical are far more a product of our culture and selective reading of the Scripture than anything else. However she says it in a way that is not condemning, but instead empowers both women and for men to be the unique people God created them to be, not the people that they think they are supposed to be based on someone else's interpretation of their roles.

Rachel's year is impacted by the numerous people that she meets, and these encounters can leave the reader as changed as Rachel clearly is. Additionally, there are snippets from Rachel's husband Dan's journal scattered throughout the chapters, each one giving a fuller insight into how this impacted their marriage.

For those who thought that they got the whole story based on Rachel's blog posts, I cannot encourage you strongly enough to read the book. The depth that is added to the stories that can be read at her blog cannot be overstated. Again, I was taken aback at just how much more insight we were privy to in the pages of this book.

"Feminist" is a title that I sometimes wear with trepidation as a 38 year old Christian woman and mother of four, but after reading this book, I will always wear it with pride. Eshet chayil, Rachel!

[Add comment]