1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Apple product ever, September 22, 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle 4 GB Silver (3rd Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought the new iPod Shuffle as a replacement for my 2nd Gen Shuffle (which I loved) which died. I already have a iPhone which I use on a daily basis. The Shuffle is just for use in the gym and when out running.

I have just returned the iPod Shuffle as I have had nothing but problems with it. The first one I bought died completely within a couple of days and was duly replaced. The replacement I was given caused me nothing but headaches and so is now on its way back to Apple. I won't be getting another.

Each time I used it, it either stopped working, wouldn't change tracks or kept on repeating the message "playlist 1, playlist 1..." which was so annoying that I had to stop using it and am now looking for an alternative product.
The reason it does this (so I am told) is because the controls on the headphones are not moisture-proof! Mine died on me during slow jog in which I was hardly sweating at all! So unless you are one of those people who never sweats, this product is completely useless.

I know that Apple are working with 3rd party headphone manufacturers to produce alternative headphones, but why should you have to pay more just to get headphones which actually do what they are supposed to do?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2010 6:12:58 AM PST
Coug Moog says:
Like every other maker of mp3 players, Apple makes the cheapest possible headphones for each of their players.

Problem with the Shuffle is you need that headphone just to control the unit, unless you shell out $20 at Wal-Mart for the control adapter so you can use a better pair you have in a drawer somewhere.

IMHO, Apple needs to make the ADAPTER standard equipment, and then just ship with the same cheap crap earbuds they ship with all their other iPods.

That way you can listen to the crap headset if you want, or just plug in your favorite earbuds using the included control adapter.

If Apple wants to save the reputation of this product, this is the route they need to go.

I dropped my crap headphones in the trash the day I got my Shuffle, got the $20 inline adapter, and am listening to it through a nice, though inexpensive, pair of JVC 'air cushion' buds right now. It's great, and NO MALFUNCTIONS.

But I shouldn't have had to pay extra for a VOLUME CONTROL. Everybody knows the first thing you do when you get an iPod is throw the headphones in the garbage and use a pair you already own. To make that option unavailable is a terrible mistake.

I use my Shuffle because it was a free gift from Dish Network; all I wound up paying for it was the $20 for the adapter! So I love it. If I'd had to pay $70 for the unit AND the adapter, I guess I'd still be using my iPhone to listen to my podcasts.

That's a shame. It can't cost much more to separate the volume control from the headset and include both pieces with the Shuffle. And it would put Belkin's spiffy aftermarket control business down. We need Apple to hear us on this. I LOVE my Shuffle; the headset is worse than useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2010 9:14:33 AM PDT
Ivan B. says:
I don't see why you think its so bad, the worst problem for me was i lost the charger cable that came with it because its so small. But overall it pretty much worked fine and i used it so do exercise all the time in my basement where it is very hot and i sweat a lot. i never had a problem using this ipod what so ever.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 9:33:40 AM PDT
Waterfi says:
Waterfi makes a waterproof shuffle you could try. Totally sweat-proof. No case. It is waterproof on the inside and works just like a normal shuffle.Waterfi Shuffle Swim Kit- Waterproof MP3 Player, Underwater Headphones, Mounting Kit - No Case Needed

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 4:42:11 PM PDT
I hope you are right. I am buying one today lol aloha
‹ Previous 1 Next ›