ARRAY(0xd9c81bac)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift to Newlyweds of Decency and Traditional Values, February 17, 2007
This review is from: The Seventeen Traditions (Paperback)
This is an absolute gem of a book, and the PERFECT GIFT for newlyweds.

I read it in an afternoon, and I confess to it's being a long afternoon of nagging dismay, as I reflected on how many of these lessons we have not taught our three cyber-era teenagers.

The seventeen lessons cover listening, family table, health, history, scarcity, equality, education, discipline, simple enjoyments, reciprocity, independent thinking, charity, work, business, patriotism, solitude, and civics.

While very heavily leavened with autobiographical reflections, this absolutely beautiful, moral, intelligent, well-written book is a gift to us all. For many of us it is too late--if I were starting over my kids would be banned from computers much of the time, and I would have refused the grandparents gifts of a personal TV to each child.

Bottom line: this is a keep-sake book with an enormous amount of common sense and tranditional values with none of the pontifical sanctimony usually found in such books. This is a first rate piece of work and reflection, ably presented in elegant language, and the absolutely perfect gift for all newlyweds you know. Buy ten copies. This kind of decency does not come available very often.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2007 9:38:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2007 10:22:26 PM PDT
Yes, I agree with you. There is some sadness in realizing that opportunities have passed by. This is a wonderful book to give to my own children. My youngest child is 32. I didn't let my children watch TV except on the week-end. I kept a small B&W portable in the downstairs closet. I could get away with this for my first three children. My last two teenagers, alas, my husband insisted on a color TV for sports when he semi-retired and was home more. I've read a lot of your reviews and am amazed by the amount of reading you have done. I thought I read a lot. Have you read "The Twelth Planet" by Zacharia Sitchen? About Ralph Nadar. In 1970 I took singing lessons in an old lovely old brownstone owned by my teacher in Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C. She rented an upstairs apt to Nadar. She said people were always trying to "get something" on him but she said, "They never will, because he never does anything wrong. He lives like a monk." Don't know how long he lived there or for all I know, maybe he still does. I'm sure my singing teacher is long gone, she was in her 80s then.

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 8:51:07 AM PDT
Totally agree with your sentiments. I absolutely fell in love with Ralph Nader after seeing the documentary, "An Unreasonable Man." Unfortunately most of us when young are too busy earning a living and 'trying to get somewhere,' and learn late in life that we were at the place in the first place, and 'somewhere' was nothing more than a conditioned state of mind in the vein of consumerism, of course, indoctrinated when our minds were young and fresh. But we can use Nader's books and documentaries to turn things around hopefully for the better in the young of today. Thanks for a beautiful review - it's always a good feeling when awareness spreads like a wildfire.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (66 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01