3.0 out of 5 stars Questionable for Vista, consideration for XP, October 27, 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade [Old Version] (Software)
I have now installed this on 3 Vista computers, and I must say that the result is underwhelming. By now, we can expect computer journalists to hype any Windows release; and to certain extent they are right - 7 does work better, but not that much better or differently from Vista if you have installed all updates and security releases from Microsoft. I had to uninstall anti-virus and selected other programs, some of which did not have listings in the "Programs and Features" Control Panel section. All of my upgrades took 2 to 3 hours; journalists claiming 45 minute upgrade times must not have had many programs installed on their computers. Once programs identified as potential problems had been removed, the upgrades completed uneventfully; and it works OK once installed.

Value-wise, I think that the single computer upgrade is a loser for Vista users at current price levels. If you have two or more computers, the Home Premium 3-computer "family" upgrade is borderline. I will pass judgement on XP once I upgrade my one remaining XP computer. Honestly, this is what should have been the Vista release; so we have paid top dollar for Vista, then close to top dollar for an incremental upgrade. Meanwhile, Apple is charging $29 for the OS X Snow Leopard upgrade ($49 for 5 computers!). That's probably the right price for this Win 7 upgrade. If users ignore the hype and wait a bit, I suspect that the price for single computer upgrades may drop like a rock.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2009 11:49:55 AM PDT
The review would have been more helpful by stating some of the more important features included with Windows 7 that are not included in Vista or XP. The review was helpful regarding effort required to install and perspective on value of the product as compared to prior versions. It did not offer any decisional information for me, an XP single computer person.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 12:44:12 AM PDT
svgtom says:
I'm curious as to why your upgrades took 2 to 3 hours. Doing a clean install from Vista, mine took longer than anticipated but that's because I decided to use the Easy Transfer program. The actual installation did take about 45 minutes.

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 10:43:35 AM PST
KV says:
I read somewhere that XP users should not upgrade. That there wouldn't be much change. I have gone out of my way the last couple of years, when buying computers, to stay with XP.

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 2:01:29 AM PST
The devil with all the so call upgrades. Microsoft has once again proven incompetent to make a usable product that's easy to install. I have to reinstall ALL my programs once I install Windows 7. Oh, and make sure you backup all your "stuff" because if it screws up, it ain't our fault you're suppose to make a backup.

Thanks but I'll be sticking with XP until they force me into something else because their new programs won't function on XP. I'd give it no less than two months before all the "patches" start on Windows 7!

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 11:59:17 PM PST
I've been using Windows XP since the day it came out and resisted upgrading to Vista due to all the bad publicity. My computer is capable of handling an upgrade and now feels like the right time. The agree that retail price of Windows 7 is too high and fortunately for students like me the OS is available for $29.99 at http://www.win741.com/ so if you're a student take advantage of this offer while it lasts!

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 3:59:19 PM PST
What this reviewer doesn't realize is that Apple prices their OS releases so low because their OS cannot be used on any other computer than a Mac. Apple will never lose money on their OS being pirated because you NEED a Mac to use the OS. This is not true with Microsoft. Microsoft is a software company and NOT a computer manufacturing company. So the pricing is reasonable when you get your facts straight.

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 5:55:10 PM PST
Hosea Brown says:
Way too critical. What about all the good features?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2009 5:57:25 PM PST
Hosea Brown says:
Yeah, my clean install of Windows 7 took about 15 minutes!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2009 6:19:33 PM PST
Hosea Brown says:
That is a BIG FAT LIE! You've wasted your money sticking with XP. Compared to XP, Windows 7 is a world of changes, and ALL for the better! It fixes all the problems of Vista, most importantly slowness. The user interface is amazing. The new taskbar saves space, and things you do most often, like connecting to wireless internet, switching power settings and managing notifications can be done in two clicks or less from the task bar. The list of improvements goes on and on. Please, read unbiased reviews like the one at http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/review and see for yourself how good it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2009 8:33:21 AM PST
Okay. First, you say that it's a "BIG FAT LIE" and then claim that a site called "WinSuperSite" is unbiased about the latest operating system that can drive more people to its site. You'll forgive me if I don't take your claims at face value.

That said, I do recommend 7 for XP users unless you have hardware or applications that will not run under Vista/7 and will not work under compatibility mode. (Yes, they're out there. I've already run into them.) There are a lot of bells and whistles that are incredibly nice once you know about them. I've only had one application that refuses to run, but a Windows 7 patch is due out this month.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (927 customer reviews)

$290.00