5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa., May 15, 2011
This review is from: Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by someone I deeply respect. I'm not a military person so I have no basis of relativity here but suffice it to say I am proud to be an American and have guys such as this doing what they do best.

I read this book in one day. Start to finish. I couldn't put the thing down. It's that intriguing. You often hear about the SEALs but never really get to hear stories (or at least I don't) about the operations they go on. Yeah, they're dangerous but that's about all you get. You hear about their training and how they've gone through hell and back and the need to prepare but you don't really understand why. Maybe that's just me being a naive civilian (I'm sure other military folks understand firsthand) but I can tell you, reading this book gave me a much different perspective on what an "operation" is.

Again, I'm not a military buff. I've thought the military is absolutely something we need but this book isn't about rah-rah-rah go America, it's about the journey of one man - Marcus Luttrell - from his pre-training days, through the BUD/S training, then right on into Operation Redwing which brought him and his team into one of the most fierce battles I've ever read or heard about.

This story makes you want to cheer and cry at the same time. I turned the last page and was awestruck. Proud to be part of a country where Service, Loyalty, Honesty and Integrity still mean something and that we have a duty to thank and remember our military service members.

Coming face-to-face with Taliban and having to survive - sometimes with a bit of luck (maybe this is a higher power watching down, who knows) - six days in the backcountry, seeing your team members KIA, I can't even imagine it. Marcus Luttrell and his fallen comrades deserve every ounce of respect, including those still serving.

For those reading this, should you buy this book? Absolutely. I can say without a doubt it's a nail-biting, page-turning, harrowing experience that I think every person should read. Doesn't matter which side of the political fence you sit on, all political BS aside, everyone should read this - it's a perspective that only comes from someone who's experienced it firsthand.

No one likes war and reading this isn't about agreeing or disagreeing with Iraq, Afghanistan or the wars to come, it's about understanding what it takes to do what it takes to survive, to never give up, to have the courage and strength both physically and mentally to do what you have to do. Sometimes we get caught up in our own little battles in our own little world but all it takes is something like this story to really give you a true perspective on things.

Turning the last page (and seeing the pictures at the end, and I wish there were more of them), made me reaffirm that my family, wife and kids are the most important things in my life and that I love this country. We fight because there are those who will try and take it away if we don't. Never give up.

So, now that I've stepped off my soapbox, would I buy this book. Oh yeah I would.

[Add comment]