Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Improvement Over Prior Models, August 1, 2010
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6733/70 HealthyWhite 3 Mode Premium Edition Rechargeable Toothbrush 2 Sets (2 handles, 2 brush heads, 1 Hydro Clean UV Sanitizer with Integrated Charger, 1 Travel charger, 2 Travel cases)
My wife and I just replaced two older Sonicare handles, the ones that have the screw in brush heads such as the Essence model, and I strongly recommend it over the older design. Perhaps it's human nature to take things for granted and go with the flow when you use something every day. I seem to stop being critical and just accept shortcomings. Until I have occasion to see something better. Then I slap myself in the forehead and say (to myself) "Why didn't I do something about this a long time ago?" The "something" with the screw-in brush head models is the disgusting slime that inevitably fills the area in the top of the handle. The newer HealthyWhite (and similar models) use snap-on brush heads that are immune from the slime build-up, and I would change if for no other reason.

In actual use I can't say the HealthyWhite handles and brush heads greatly improve the brushing result. Both are excellent at teeth cleaning and gum massaging, but the HealthyWhite type eliminates the germ-laden slime. Also, the Premium Edition has an ultraviolet light sanitizer, which, assuming it is effective (there is really no way I know of to test it's effectiveness), is a nice feature. The Premium Edition comes with one newer HydroClean brush head, that has a rubber insert in the head to (presumably) polish tooth surfaces or, as some have suggested, to force foam into the crevices between the teeth. Personally, I prefer the softer bristle effect on my gums, and my wife can't even tell any difference between the two! So you pays your money and takes your choice. Amazon is the only place I've seen replacement HydroClean brush heads sold, but I haven't really searched the net for them and I'm sure they are available elsewhere. They are purely a matter of personal preference.

One minor annoyance with the Premium kit: it comes with the sanitizer, which has one "peg" to hold and charge one handle. It also comes with a travel charger that has one peg and holds and charges one handle. But there is no way to stand up two handles on your lavatory or wherever you store them simply to hold them when you're not using them, unless you keep the travel charger and cord on the sink/counter/etc. Some editions come with a two-peg plastic shell holder that fits over the travel charger and stores it together with its cord, but the kit I bought didn't come with it, nor does this one list it as being an included accessory. It's a plastic shell that probably costs no more than $.39 to make (I just made that up), but I called Sonicare to see if I could buy one and found they sell them for over $25!!!! with shipping. So I just lean mine in the corner and charge it when necessary. BTW, except for long trips, I think a travel charger is unnecessary; a fully charged handle has always lasted me longer than a 2-3 week trip.

So that's my take on this Sonicare kit: a really excellent product, should have a better storage stand for two handles, mediocre price at $173 IMO, and NO MORE SLIME!!! (Do you get the idea I don't like slime?)

Speaking of paying your money, shop carefully for the best price. I wound up buying mine at a Costco store (dare I say that?) for about $23 less than the Premium Edition price offered here as of August 1, 2010, no shipping cost, of course, since I bought it at a retail store.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2011 8:30:40 AM PST
L. Jacobson says:
Very good pointer about the need to shop around. I took your advice and got on Costco's site. They sell this product for $149.99. Mind you, I am not even a member, and by the time I paid for the product, the shipping, the non-member charge ($7.50), and tax, I STILL came out $10 less than they're selling this for as of 1/2011. Goes to show how much markup is going on here.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 5:50:21 PM PST
tool_girl says:
Great review. My original sonicare is about to die and only holds a charge for one brushing anymore (it's 10 yrs old). I just ordered this model and am looking forward to no more gross slime.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›