Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down, the best and most original game for Kinect., September 15, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gunstringer - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I was playing The Gunstringer when a friend of mine came over and brought his son. His son was mesmerized by what was going on and kept asking me what exactly I was playing. I had to stop and ponder that question, as it dawned on me that I couldn't properly tell him, he just had to watch. Gunstringer is definitely the most unique and pleasant game I have played in years. There is literally no game out that even closely resembles what the Gunstringer is. I say 'pleasant' because it is one of those wholesome, fun games that keeps a smile on your face throughout with its amazing presentation.

You take the title role as The Gunstringer, an undead cowboy out for revenge on his old posse that betrayed him. The thing is, you aren't exactly playing a game, but actually performing in a play in front of a live-action crowd. It sounds totally screwy and I understand anyone's qualms as to this concept being pulled off effectively. I am proudly here to say that it all has paid off, this is a thrilling game that completely wraps you into the role of operating an undead-cowboy marionette. You use your left hand as if you were holding the strings for the marionette and hold your right arm out and make a 'invisible-gun' hand shape(you don't have to make the gun shape, but why wouldn't you?). So the left hand controls walking, moving and jumping of the Gunstringer and your right arm is for shooting. You accomplish shooting by aiming at a target and recoiling your hand as if you just fired a real gun. you can even paint up to 6 targets and then pop back your hand for multi-kills. It all works effortlessly and is a joy. It just feels natural for what you are playing and my hat goes off to Twisted Pixel for making such a responsive and working control system. Certain areas of the game can turn into what boils down to a simple platformer, where you don't shoot and are meant to control the Gunstringer through obstacles, over ledges, etc. So you will literally just be bowing your left arm up and down or left and right. These parts are few and don't overall hamper the experience at all.

The humor in the game is unmatched. The presentation, commentator that narrates the game in real time, and countless cameos from the developers at Twisted Pixel all combine to give a package that is not lacking on charm and humor. To finish off a boss, you literally smash your hand towards the ground and a giant Monty Python-like arm will rain down in game and smash your opponents. Your real-life crowd will laugh, cry and gasp along with your entire adventure, keeping the atmosphere very light-hearted during the entire game.

The game is budget priced for a reason, it is short. I beat it in maybe 4 hours at the most with my first run through. However, if you have ever owned a Twisted Pixel game, you know how much extra content they pack into them. You can unlock game modifiers, music, pictures, audio commentary tracks that will play over the game like Mystery Science Theater 3000. Plus I unlocked like 10 avatar items and a theme for my Xbox. On top of that, the very first piece of DLC, "The Wavy Tubeman Chronicles" is completely free and available to download in game. This DLC is brillient as it is entirely Full Motion Video, like those old western games on the Sega CD and arcade where you would shoot at the video of real people and they would horribly act out their death. It really is amazing and a great homage to early 90's gaming. Fruit Ninja Kinect is also included in the package, so you can add that to the value of this game as well.

Frankly, even though it was short, the only fault I can find is that I wanted more. this is one of the few games I have played were I beat it and actually wanted to go back for round 2 immediately. With all the unlockables available to purchase with in-game money earned by playing, it entices you to come back for more and more. I am a 28-year old male who played it with on-lookers ranging in age from 3, to 13, to 40 and everybody really enjoyed and got into the game. It is Core game that can appeal to multiple generations while not sitting under the housing of a 'casual, family-friendly' game.

If you own a Kinect then you owe it to yourself to have The Gunstringer in your collection; a truly amazing, unique and humorous experience.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2011 6:29:27 AM PDT
T. Anthony says:
Spot on review. Glad you dug the game.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 7:51:25 PM PDT
DarkNightRJ says:
Hands down? Hardly. It's a Kinect game. haha

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 4:39:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2011 2:12:59 PM PDT
M. Myers says:
That's why I said: "The best and most original game for KINECT."

EDIT: Wait, now I just got what you meant. Haha, well played sir!

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 8:10:12 PM PDT
Great review, I'm probably going to pick it up in the near future.

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 8:10:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 24, 2011 8:10:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 9:32:40 PM PDT
WLJ says:
Nice review! So, was it hard to control the gunstringer and make him move? Was there a learning curve or anything? Did the Kinect read the movements pretty easily? It sounds like it might be kind of complicated, but maybe if I was actually playing it, not reading it, it wouldn't be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 8:12:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2012 8:13:42 AM PST
It SOUNDS complicated, but it really isn't. And the parts that turns into Donkey Kong style gaming is almost NEEDED, it helps REST your gun arm! And when you gain your second gun, don't forget to use BOTH your hands as guns! I didn't realize I COULD have until after that part! Opps. The only thing that takes to getting use to, is targeting while behind a rock, then moving him out before you can shoot. It's not "really" hard, just takes a while to get used to. It is a blast to play! Great review by the way nanowerx! I'm from Alabama, and hearing the commentary mention my State just made me grin! We need a much needed sequel now!

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 8:38:27 AM PST
WLJ says:
Well, I got this for my husband, and the gameplay wasn't complicated, and he liked it a lot. It's a unique game. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:12:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 11:13:29 AM PDT
I've been having an issue with false jumps with the Gunstringer. I'll screw around more to see what's happening, but two boys here have had false jump issues, or I should say "double jumps," on different levels, happening fairly often (probably every 30 seconds, maybe less). I instructed them to do different things (ie. start left hand mid, raise from there; drop hand quickly after raising), but none of that corrected it. Has anyone had this issue?

Oh, I should add too, this is a great game, and very creative. It's actually inspiring creatively, which I can't say for hardly any games. We really need more games like this!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›