Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

1,797 of 1,863 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars I've had enough, nothing ever changes, and it never will, July 1, 2011
This review is from: Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Kindle Edition)
Posted at [...]
You don't know me. I'm a fan of your work, have been for years. I have gotten many friends and family hooked on Stephanie, Joe, Ranger and Lula. I had every one of your books. I love your work with Charlotte Hughes and the Full Series. I have laughed and teared up, I have giggled and gasped for years, but it's time I stand up and shout.

Your last three Stephanie Plum Novels have left me feeling cheated. With each new installment I hope for more. But I get the same old antics. I read a recent interview with you, in which you say that when an author finds a winning formula, to stick with it and milk it for all it's worth. I take issue with this. How can an author expect their fans to keep buying a novel with the same plots, same games, same lines, same everything? The books seem to be getting shorter, the font larger, and the quality poorer, all with a hardcover price. I used to recommend your books to all who would listen, but now? I shy away and that sucks!

In your latest installment of the Stephanie Plum Series, Stephanie turns into a Hoochie. I'm sorry to say it. I don't like the word, I don't like the meaning, but it's what you turned her into. I didn't mind so much previously when she would steal a few kisses here and there between Ranger and Joe (and hell Diesel) but having her sleep with both men, in the same book, on back to back nights is just shameful. Gramma Bella SHOULD put the eye on her! Joe SHOULD dump her, so should Ranger. So what, now that Joe and Stephanie have an 'open' relationship they can sleep with whomever they want, whenever they want, and each other? Yuck. I was a Joe fan in the beginning of the series, but then he turned rather chauvinistic, spouting how she should be barefoot and pregnant and not working, and that got my feminist hackles all up and pissy. I've always been a Ranger girl, but I can't understand how he can still be around playing for scraps. Is her vagina magic? Are you gearing up to make her like Anita Blake? Because if So, please for the love of books don't!!!

Characters need growth in a series. Stephanie has not grown, in fact I could argue that she has regressed. After seventeen books, she STILL can't shoot her gun, she can't use handcuffs, she blows up cars, and has no desire to learn self defense. I'm sorry, but she's an idiot. And not a funny one anymore.

To me, and I know that I am not alone, Stephanie used to be a source of comic relief. She made me laugh and took me out of the seriousness of my life or other more suspenseful books I was reading at the time. But she's no longer funny, she's a joke.

If you are tired of writing her, then please stop.
If you think your fans will stop reading if she chooses to stay with ONE of the men, they won't.
If you are doing this for the money, I'm sorry.
I won't be buying anymore of your novels.

If this alienates me in the book blogging world, so be it. I can't stand it anymore. I've held my council for the last three books and I can't do it anymore. It's my opinion, but I am not alone. I implore you to see reason. Please go back to writing meaningfully. Make Stephanie grow up a bit. Make her see that she has to learn.

I hate to see her the way she is. I hope you have a plan. I pray to the editors that you have a plan. Please don't string us along. Don't make us hate her. We fans, and Stephanie as well, deserve better than what you are giving us.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 18 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 259 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2011 9:07:34 PM PDT
AtlantaBabe says:
A most excellent and honest review. I agree with you 100%.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 9:09:00 PM PDT
Thank you for a well written review. I also agree with you 100%.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 9:09:09 PM PDT
clarkstonmom says:
Hear Hear. What a great review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 9:23:01 PM PDT
SusieJ says:
You are not alone. Many of us feel the same way.

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 7:59:49 AM PDT
Mithy1 says:
Excellent, honest, review. I agree 100% with everything you said and have also stopped buying her books...13 was the last. Maybe if Janet would read these reviews we'd get some more mature writing out of her.

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 9:51:10 AM PDT
Michelle says:
Thank you for the time you spent writing this. Authors who underestimate their readers so badly depress me. The way this series has gone has left a bad taste in my mouth. Evanovich either severely underestimates her own talent, has a very limited talent, or is just uninterested in putting in the effort to create. I hope it is the first, that she underestimates herself, and that she gets over it and takes some risks.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 4:20:06 PM PDT
Porkchop T. says:
I totally agree with your review. I think it's all about the money. The publishers probably demand that JE cranks them out. Another installment in NOVEMBER? Just in time for Holiday sales. Some readers hint that the books are now being written by someone else/a ghost writer. Could be. At least in this book no one said "My Bad!" I wonder why. Maybe it would have been too close to the truth about the entire book.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 5:59:54 PM PDT
Mare says:
I'm in total agreement with everything you said. I am finished with the Plum series. I loved it when the stories made me laugh out loud. I really don't like Stephanie sleeping with two men. I don't mind that she makes it to the bedroom, but spare me the details! Finished!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 1:29:58 PM PDT
BonRhodes says:
Thanks for the great review. I have also been disappointed in the last few books and sent an e-mail to JE. Steph does need to grow up as she has become so boring and totally inept. I don't buy the books any more, I get them from the library so that I don't feel ripped off. I don't even look forward to them any more. I don't know what Ranger or Morelli sees in her...

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 12:38:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2011 12:38:58 PM PDT
I gave up on Stephanie after #16. May I suggest the Barbara Marr series? Barbara is like a more grown-up Stephanie...she is a mom and is a lot funnier (as compared to the last few Stephanie novels). There are only two books in the Barbara series right now ("Take the Monkeys and Run" and "Citizen Insane"). Both reminded me very much of the earlier Stephanie...great fun. And they are available in the Kindle edition for only 99 cents...so you are not out much if you find they are not to your liking. I really, really enjoyed both!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›