5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than many professional reviewers would have you think., November 17, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
I bought this game as part of a Launch Day bundle, and while waiting for launch I grew worried because many of the online reviews for the game were negative. Most of those negative reviews cited difficulty and repetitiveness.

I have to say however that I love this game. It is a throwback to the Crash Bandicoot style of gameplay. So yes, it can be difficult if you are not careful; but this isn't a game for mere smashing and grabbing. Once the simple mechanics of fighting are mastered, the game becomes very easy to play while at the same time remaining challenging. I'll explain. Most battles require tactical consideration, a careful approach. If you go into an engagement thinking that you are just going to smash some buttons, hop around, and storm through your opponents--you are mistaken. It's easy to be 1-shot or 2-shot by many of the opponents, and when you are facing 2, 3, 4, or more opponents like this...yes, you might die a lot. Until you learn the flow of the fighting and what Knack is capable of doing AND to approach each engagement with a plan. Once you get in the habit of doing these things, the combat is often quite easy as long as you stay focused on what you are doing. (I'm playing on Normal difficulty.)

As for repetitiveness...well, I'm about halfway through, after playing all weekend after launch. And it's not exactly repetitive. The maps are quite linear; you keep running into sets of opponents most steps from A to Z; and, yes, you have to kill them. Like many games. However, there is great variety in your opponents, and each has a particular way of fighting against you. So although the combat and mapping might make the game seem repetitive, it's actually not tediously repetitive because maps and opponents keep changing.

The graphics are quite nice. The voice acting is great (including the scripted dialogue). For me, there is no lag in the controls; everything works smoothly....EXCEPT the rare cases where Knack has to climb a building or wall: The climbing is really horrible. But he doesn't often have to climb; it's a rarity.

If I had to single out one possible fault, it might be in the story. I'm only halfway through, but already it's easy to see that the story hops about, with Knack and his friends getting whisked here and there, totally upsetting the flow of the story. Environments are very interesting, but it's weird seeing them whisked back and forth between different overarching goals.

There are hidden rooms throughout the game, and you really need to pay attention to the graphics, the environment, because its sharp detail will reveal sometimes minute changes (and sometimes obvious changes) to the prevailing architecture which signal a hidden room. Inside that hidden room, you'll find, besides power-ups, parts to devices that you can assemble once you've collected enough parts. Halfway through the game, I've only assembled three but I am close to having a couple more finished. These devices help gameplay, but not all evenly. (One seems quite marginal, since it's a detector for what is usually pretty easy to spot without a detector; but gaining for instance the ability to have stronger hits after so many punches have been landed -- a type of combo meter -- helps in gameplay. Some of the more rare devices are in theory even stronger for gameplay, but I don't have those yet.)

All-in-all, I would have to say the many reviews online are wrong about Knack. It is a fun, addicting game. Even if it is hard at first, you have an infinite number of lives and MOST of the time the automatic saves/checkpoints are not spread out very far.

I haven't had a chance nor the desire to test out co-op play, so I can say nothing about that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2014 1:44:12 PM PST
geo1378 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2014 12:26:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2014 12:29:39 AM PST
Dylan Taylor says:
No 5-star or "10/10" video game review ever implies that the game is perfect; it is not possible for any video game to be 'Perfect' and exist without any flaws, ever. The enjoyability of any given game is completely in the eye of the beholder and every single review out there is entirely opinionated. What one person may find as flaw in a game, another may find it to be a strong point for the game. It's all relative. Go out and personally try video games for yourself. See what you actually enjoy about the game. Who knows, perhaps a game you were skeptical about will turn out to be your favorite video game of all time. You just never know. So don't pass up on a possible great gaming experience for yourself, for any game, old or new, simply because the reviews you read weren't good enough and since you'll only play "9/10" or "10/10" so-called 'Perfect' video games. You'll never know until you actually play it.

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 8:38:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2014 8:39:19 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I'm baffled by the mediocre professional reviews too...and you'll note that reviews from real people are really high. (Those who, you know, have actually PLAYED THE GAME LOL).

I was expecting it to be horrible, I didn't think it looked like much from the quick preview I'd seen on Jimmy Fallon, but the actual game is fantastic. It looks great, usually like a theatrical CG movie. It plays great. It has a TON of variety, way more than you'd normally get from what's basically a side scrolling fighter. And surprisingly, the characters and story are actually great, whereas normally you'd expect a sort of CG looking game to have a lame story.

Other than having to replay a few fights a few times, there's nothing I've not loved about it.

And yeah, 5 stars doesn't mean "this is completely perfect, it's the best thing ever!" It means you loved it. I'd give it 5 stars too without hesitation. (Well, unless I get stuck or suddenly start hating it in the last third of the game LOL)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 4:53:28 PM PST
I bought this game begrudgingly due to the almost universal professional reviews. I needed a game that I could play on my new PS4 with my kid, and Knack has seriously delivered. I have no complaints. My son has been playing with me for 3 yrs now, since he was 3. While Knack may just be a nice game to play with my son in my opinion, in his, it's his "favorite game ever" which means it's trounced that wallet rapist known a Skylanders. There can be no higher praise in the eyes of a 6yr old.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 7:16:54 PM PST
WolfPup says:
OMG knack destroys skylanders :-D glad you guys are having fun

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 7:32:44 AM PST
Actually, when you hover over the star rating system Amazon uses, 5 stars means "I love it." The next level down, 4 stars, is merely, "I like it." So I gave the game 5 stars, because I really loved the game.

My only complaint now, months after I left the review, is that Knack was a fairly short game with limited replay value. I think that after some more time has passed, I will probably return to it, enjoying it again; but in the meantime, there are so many other games to play, and my stack of games is building faster than my ability to complete them. So Knack has been placed on the backburner while I play those other games. Replay in Knack seems mostly for completionists who want to collect everything. I'd like to do that some day, but it's not a high priority for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (538 customer reviews)

$59.99 $27.99