4.0 out of 5 stars For all owners of broken 80365, June 11, 2011
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 80365 Custom Grind Hands-Free Coffee Grinder, Platinum (Kitchen)
This is my first hands-free coffee grinder. I had it about 2 yrs and liked it pretty well. It mysteriously stopped working a week ago as in other reviews. Instead of pitching it, I decided to pull it apart to learn why it died. Upon inspection, there's a switch that is activated by locking down the lid. The contacts are not sealed and had a coffee residue preventing conduction. All it takes is a quick scrape and it worked good as new. As for disassembly/reassembly, the biggest obstacle is the triangle-head screw in the bottom (I used a flat blade bit that just fit in one side). The other trick is placing the cleaned-up switch in the space on the outer housing before sliding everything back together. The whole job will take about 30 minutes so you'll have to decide if it's worthwhile. I should also mention that I fully expect this to happen again in a year or so. Good luck. This is the Achilles' Heel of an other wise great product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2012 12:17:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 12:28:19 PM PST
ohdonna68 says:
I've had this grinder for about six years and one time had the same problem as "snutz." I didn't take it apart -- I marvel at tenacity of other coffee-loving reviewers here. But in looking closely, I discovered the problem, realized what the little brush is for and quickly fixed the problem. I keep the ledge at the top of the grinder free of coffee grounds and had no further problems until I broke off the plastic ignition thingy over a year ago. I procrastinated in buying a new grinder -- during which time I've been using muscle and a tea towel to protect my hand when I press down on the sharp, raggedy stub where the starter once was. Today my fiance suggested for the umpteenth time we buy a new one. I'm finally getting around to that. I don't yet know which product I will buy, only that I will not spend a small fortune. This grinder proves to me an expensive grinder is not necessary for good coffee. If you own this product, remember to occasionally use the little brush, and the grinder should serve you long and well.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:02:33 PM PDT
Pat Scanlan says:
I followed directions took it apart cleaned it out, works perfectly now. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2013 4:11:46 PM PDT
I have had this grinder for several years. It has done a host of grinding jobs for me and I keep it dust free with a dust remover compressed air. This grinder has really "gusts". I guess that the manufacturer must not know about planned obsolescence yet. The only weakness is the little plastic boss on the cover which wares down some.Hamilton Beach 80365 Custom Grind Hands-Free Coffee Grinder, Platinum

Posted on May 13, 2013 6:18:29 PM PDT
AND if the plastic top breaks because of the screwing off & on (after only a year's use!) then it won't be hands free anymore... which is why I loved it =(

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 12:23:14 PM PST
J. Garlie says:
Snutz,

Thanks for your comment. I've had same grinder for years now. Same thing, mysteriously stopped working. I was about to purchase another grinder of same model when I read your post. Took can of air to the grinder to blow out all the old coffee detritus. Presto! Back in business. Appreciate the advice.

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 8:01:12 AM PST
Mine stopped working after years of great use, until I filled the top basin with soapy water. I didn't realize that it would leak down through the entire machine after just a couple minutes.

I managed to get the triangle-head screw off by damaging it so that the small flathead screwdriver will fit. However, it's still not coming apart, and I think if I pull any harder I will break the small plastic base.

Sad day.

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 10:33:22 AM PDT
DD in KY says:
Just purchased same grinder again.j after reading this review, will try to repair old grinder for a spare. Thanks.

Posted on May 7, 2014 9:30:26 AM PDT
Thanks! I was ready to buy a new one until I read your post. To save time I sprayed a shot of wd40 on the switch and worked it back and forth a few times. Presto! It works.

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 6:30:21 AM PST
William Otis says:
After reading this, I took mine apart a few minutes ago (it had stopped working a couple of days ago). I was about to buy another when I found this comment. Cleaned the switch and voila! Thanks for this info.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›