5.0 out of 5 stars Does all things that my laptop does.... Great tablet!, September 11, 2011
This review is from: Acer Iconia Tab A100-07u16u 7-Inch Tablet (16GB) (Personal Computers)
I have 2 tablet PC, IBM X60Tablet and Fujitsu p1610. One is 13 inch so it's not really UMPC. Fujitsu is 9 inch, but since it's convertible (has the keyboard with monitor turning), it's thick and bulky. Also battery last only for 2 hrs on Fujitsu. I wanted a thinner smaller device that I can carry to local coffee shop and browse internet.
Acer Iconia A100 is perfect because not only it'll be easier to carry around, but has full HDMI output so that I can use it on my bigscreen TV as a media player.

Here is what I think about the tablet after 2 days of use.

Likes -
1.Portable size yet big enough screen for movie viewing
2.FAST!!!! CPU and wifi.
3.Great OS - I can even print to my Epson all in one printer!!!
4.Dual camera with one 5 MG pixel
5.Familiar Google web browser that allow you to download pictures
6.Tons of free apps.
7.No problem with music and HD movie - no need to convert files so far. I played all movie files on my hard drives. No more iTune, which means I can access this device and load music/movie from any computer. yeh!! Basically use it as external memory card.
8.HDMI output to TV
9.Very responsive touch
10.Built in GPS - Once set destination when I have access to WIFI, off line GPS has no problem pointing direction while I'm driving. New Google map will let you download 10 mile radius of area onto cache map. I was able to use it off line for about 25 miles once I setup the route on WIFI.
11.Great as an eBook reader
12.There is a free app which let you use this tablet as a remote keyboard and mouse for my desktop or media pc. Great for controlling my media PC. Since it's wifi I can control my desktop even outside of my house. Only problem is that I cannot see the big screen tv (media pc)...
13. Use it as a note taker for my meeting - no more lost note pad
14. Market place released the updated Kindle app. Works great!
15. Can be setup as a media server. I can stream media(movie, mp3, etc.,) to my PC wirelessly while my kid is playing Angrybird without any studder. pretty cool...
16. I downloaded one of the GPS program that one of the user recommended for free from Android market - Awesome. better than my TxxTxx.

Wish list- (not the bad list for I have not found anything bad yet).
1.gets bit warm when I'm holding-it could be heat from my hand.
2.Better battery life. It last about 5 hrs, but with all the option like GPS, Bluetooth, and CPU power, Apple iPad would have last similar 5hrs, so not so surprising.
3.Home button is kinda sensitive and sometimes it gets triggered while using the tablet
4.Video recording is not great under low light.
5.USB Host - I don't think I cannot connect USB card reader to read my Compact Flash cards
6.On screen keyboard is bit smaller than iPad's when in portrait mode... But iPad is 10 inch.. so not really tablet's fault.
7. Would not play Netflix. I can access up to the screen where I can select the movie, but would not play. I think there only a few device that play Netflix, so hopefully Netflix will release new version of the app. The twick with one of the file you found on internet does not work for me...

We have Apple iPad which belongs to my wife and the kids, and I don't get to play with it hardly....: It has amazing screen, but it's 10 inch and way too big for me to carry around anyway, and NO GPS and NO Flash.
Overall I'm very pleased with the purchase and have been carrying with me pretty much anywhere I go - it actually fits in my short's and dress pants pocket... but probably not my jean pocket...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2011 8:39:09 AM PDT
Diknak says:
Just an FYI, you can download Sygic or CoPilot and use GPS when offline.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 5:40:33 PM PDT
M. Lee says:
that's awesome. Thanks for the info!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 4:40:57 PM PDT
Nick Herrera says:
Also, specs on Amazon call out a USB 2.0 besides the micro USB port, not true, only micro USB port and also it call for 4G, manual only talks about 3G sim cards, but the device does not have the sim Card slot.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 10:06:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2011 10:08:13 PM PDT
M. Lee says:
there is no USB host on this tablet, so while is has USB 2.0 connection, you can only connect it to PC. You cannot have memory card reader and expect to load memory card contents (i.e. picture/mp3/movie etc.,) This model does not offer SIM card slot. It's blocked with plastic. Not even sure if the WWAN modem is installed. So no 3G or 4G.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 12:44:36 PM PDT
Nick Herrera says:
It has USB 2.0 but is a micro port not a full sized USB like the toshiba Thrive and correct it is a slave not a host, but amazon says it has a USB 2.0 and a mirco USB 2.0 which is incorrect. And you are also correct about not 3G or 4G, the A101 is the model with 3G but Amazon also calls this out wrong saying it is 4G capable.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 8:11:13 PM PDT
Nick Herrera says:
Correct, USB 2.0 connection offered is micro not full sized as Toshiba Thrive and it is a slave not a host. And no sim card slot. Amazon specs call this out wrong saying it has a micro usb plus a usb 2.0 port and that is 4G capable.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:45:50 AM PDT
Diknak says:
I hope that they release a firmware update that allows USB host as well. I had that with my Archos 70 IT and I loved it. If the hardware is there, I really hope that either Acer or someone in the community comes up with a way to bring us host.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 1:30:28 PM PDT
M. Lee says:
@diknak, I wish.... Not sure, but it's likely missing host chip set. Would've been real nice though...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 1:52:24 PM PDT
It is possible to get the A100 to handle USB host, see post:
And with a USB on-the-go cable you can convert it to a full sized USB 2.0 port:
So it is just a matter of time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 2:25:48 PM PDT
To convert a USB device port to a USB host port, you need the hardware in the tablet, not just the adapter. The adapter is designed for microUSB ports that have the OTG configuration already and just need an adapter for the physical connection.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (268 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $169.99