3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but dumbed down, April 20, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I have been a fan of the splinter cell games for some time. The reason I like them? The sneaking, the waiting, the timing, the planning, the gadgets, the overall experience. While Conviction is fun and I do not regret buying it, they really dumbed down the experience and it lost something in the translation.

For example, previous games allowed you to kill a guard (though your stealth score was penalized for that) and then move the body someplace where it is less likely a guard will find it. That's gone in Conviction. Kill a guard, his body stays right there likely to be discovered. As a whole, the "remain stealthy" part of the splinter cell series was out and out ignored in Conviction (unless a mission specifically requires it, and that's not very many). Being stealthy is why I like this series!

In that regard, the whole stealth score is gone. Getting spotted doesn't do anything except make you have to either deal with the guards right there or find a hiding space (again for the missions that don't require stealth).

Granted, the simpler control mechanism is nice, but if the trade-off is losing a good portion of the previous style of gameplay, I'd rather have to deal with the more complex controls!

Also, they give you pointers and highlights in-game which help you maneuver in cover. The addition is nice, but I feel like they're babying me through the experience the whole way. I'd rather be able to disable this as an option, because as an experienced splinter cell player, I think I can determine without the help what I can and cannot use for cover. The only plus to this is the ease at which you can move from cover to cover just by hitting a single button/key press.

There are some other things about the game that are nice. The P.E.C system is cool and gives me as the player some things to try to accomplish while also playing the game. The 'execute' system is pretty cool, too... if you perform a hand-to-hand kill, you can then mark/tag enemies and perform a single button/key press execute on them (instant death/headshot, but how many and the range depends on what weapon you're using and how upgraded it is).

I don't like the way they force the interrogation stuff, which is much different from previous splinter cell titles. I always liked interrogating a guard while taking him to his grave. The interaction with the environment in Conviction is okay I suppose but it's more like watching a cut scene where you press a button/key once in a while.

Definitely lost something in the translation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2010 5:49:10 PM PDT
Simplyme says:
Finally a review I can agree on. But I could not enjoy it because I felt like I was not playing a Splinter Cell game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 2:50:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2010 2:52:00 PM PDT
007 says:
Good review. 'Dumbed down' is the perfect way to describe this game. I can't believe so many people gave it 5 stars... they obviously were not fans of the previous 4 Splinter Cells... which were classics.
I still cannot believe they ruined this series like this. It had so much potential with the original style/controls.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 8:30:54 AM PDT
Elli D. says:
007: Just because you were a fan and didn't like it doesn't mean there are no other fans of the original 4 that thought this game was cool, I was a fan of the original four and I still loved this game. Everyone has their opinion but when you start generalizing that's when people stop taking you seriously.

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 5:16:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2010 5:18:42 PM PDT
C. Johnson says:
I agree with this review based on me playing the demo. I played the Demo and immediately saw how "dumbed down" is was. One reason I liked the other SC games was because of the amount of control the game gave you. I don't need the game telling me in neon lights where to take cover. I also didn't like the fact that the game does most of the things for you just by pressing one button, this took a lot of fun out of the game for me. Sure the earlier games are more complicated in controls, but to me that's what made it fun and more rewarding when I pulled certain things off.

Thanks for your review and pointing out that the game is not much different from the demo and it looks like I will be passing on this game. I've had all the SC games prior to this, and this will be the first game in the series I won't buy; heck, I didn't even finish the demo because I hated how they changed things.

I really hope Edios goes back to the old style of game play that many fans loved.

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 7:58:08 AM PDT
Marvelous says:
I own every single Splinter Cell game, including Double Agent for the original Xbox. I still play Chaos theory and both Double Agents on a regular basis. I will agree Conviction it was dumbed down, but I still get plenty of enjoyment from the game. From the stellar presentation all the way to a successful Coop experience, it was a definite 4/5 stars game. I really hope they incorporate the ability to hide bodies in the upcoming game though... and please PLEASE Ubisoft, make the next single player campaign at least 15 hours long!!!

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 10:17:48 PM PDT
Chaos Theory for life:: I will never trade or give away my copy of Chaos Theory, it is a outstanding gaming gem in my eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 10:23:43 PM PDT
Bro, I played the demo and immediatly went to gamestop and canceld my CE pre-order, I refuse to waist my money on a "streamlined" game..Bungie said it best when they were talking about how hard it was to add features to reach without messing with what made halo halo. Ubisoft basically pushed its fan base aside in order to gain a larger audiance. The producer himself said their goal was to streamline the experiance.. speed up the pace. They destroyed Splinter cell.... a sad day:(

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 6:49:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2010 6:51:36 PM PDT
ThomasJ says:
I don't know what they were thinking with this one. The whole stealth element was gone. The array of weapons and weapon caches were completely unnecessary. I felt like the whole game was a cutscene with only a handful of "levels". The one cool thing was the last-known position, but that only existed because the whole concept of stealth had been taken away.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 12:44:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2010 12:53:38 PM PST
Couldn't agree more! While I did really enjoy the game, I was frustrated by the fact that it really felt like they "sold out." It was still a stealth game, but then again not *really*. A lot of the interesting aspects from previous games were gone. Also, when you perform a stealth kill on a guard, this annoying "wisshhht" sound plays, and something streaks across the screen. What the hell? If I'm going to silently kill a guard I want it to be silent and see him slowly drop to the ground, where (as the above review points out), I can move him to an unsuspecting location.

Personally, I feel the best balance between stealth, action, and cinematic writing was achieved somewhere between chaos theory and double agent.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 4:46:29 PM PST
Galapogos says:
Agreed. Chaos Theory was so, so much fun to play through...I'm going to play it now
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (292 customer reviews)

$19.99 $7.95