1.0 out of 5 stars Way to heavy, screen cover is terrible, and outer cover is silly, January 12, 2013
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series Protective Case for Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Black (with built-in screen protection) (will not fit HDX models) (Accessory)
BIG OtterBOX fan, I have had them on my last 5 cell phones and that was why I decided to drop $80 (almost) on this case.

I figured, "Hey it must be the best"... Well a few things. Even though I am quite tech savvy, it was a pain in the rear to open the cover (just to get the KindleFireHD in). I can see how many people are having problems (and complaining). I had to use a small tip (of something) to push back the tabs, (to get the case open) but did not want to push any tabs farther than needed, for fear they would break. Really OtterBOX, if it's that much hassle, package the case so it is NOT totally assembled and a standard user can START by clipping it closed on their Kindle! (yes it would make the packaging a little bigger, but it would get rid of many complaints and stop many returns).

Now once I got the case apart, then got my kindle in and snapped back together, I found (after a few days) there was a damn 'spec' of some black lint (thingy) I did not see when I was putting it together. I only see it on bright games (or white book pages) but it raises the screen cover slightly (and I feel it while swiping) so it's enough of an object of some sort to take some space. Anyway, several times I have thought of taking it apart and several times I have decided it was too much hassle. Sure I should have seen it (it is some kind of lint, not a dirty spec on the glass).

I am not in love with the 'flap' that covers the charging port, but I understand it was made 'huge' to not only match size with the case but to provide the charge / mini HDMI ports cover (splash and kiddy crumb protection). I do find the flap annoying to have to fiddle with every time I want to charge it, but I understand the design. If it were me a sliding cover would have been a better design, IMO. Much like I do not like the same 'flap' on my Galaxy S3 OtterBOX Commuter cover.

So what do I truly NOT LIKE?

I DO NOT like the clear plastic screen cover. Not only is is far inferior to the glass screen, but it will hold up (or wear out) much quicker and will look crappy quick. Also the white 'milky' sheen it creates, as well as the major added glare make me want to rip it off the case altogether and just take my chances with the real screen (or add a real screen protector).

I DO NOT like the 'cover'. It is not only clumsy and huge, but not being part of the case, means it gets put down and right now I have no idea where it is. That means as a 'cover' it is useless (while missing). Also the snap stand that is in the cover will definitely start leaving marks on the screen (and or screen cover) and in time I can see it not staying at a 'snapped' position. In reality, the case is wonderful to just carry the device (no cover) around, as the raised edge means it's tapered in the right way to hold it by the edge or corner while walking.

It is way too heavy to hold for using the kindle for very long. Sure. walk around, hold it for a moment, but to hold it for a while at just the right angle (playing a game for example) or gosh forbid hold it while reading? No way, not even an option. I have tried to use it to read from in bed, and unless I have it pushed against a pillow and I am sideways as well, it's not feasible to read it long.

I really struggled with this and want to like it, as I am sure it will provide great drop protection, but to make the device better to use, it's not good... I have just ordered the OEM (Kindle) "Standing leather case". I have a paper white and love how this case not only protects the screen while not in use, but I find I love the cover triggering auto sleep wake. I know the standing cover will not be as good in a bad drop scenario, but I want to enjoy the damn Kindle, not take it on army maneuvers.

Yes, to sum it up: If you need to take a kindle on army type maneuvers and use it in the field and use it BRIEFLY, this is the case for that purpose. If your desire is to give the Kindle some protection and have wonderful usability, the standing cover (Amazon Kindle made cover) is the way to go.

Now I have to find the darn cover and get the case off to send it back!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 11:27:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 6:59:37 PM PDT
E. Howland says:
OK, I found the cover! I just weighed it on a very accurate scale. It weighs ALMOST as much as the Tablet itself (tablet weighs 2 oz more than Otterbox cover).

The Kindle FireHD 8.9" on it's own = 20oz (1 pound 4 ounces)

The Kindle FireHD8.9" with an Otterbox case = 38oz! (2 pounds 6 ounces)

The Kindle FireHD 8.9" with a "standing cover" installed = 28oz (1 pound 12 ounces)

JUST the Otterbox cover = 18oz

The Amazon Kindle 'folding stand' case (the good one they make) = 8oz.

So again, this case is for you if you are going use the KindleFireHD on a trivial basis, use it on military maneuvers, take it on safari, or give it to toddlers who are eating and or drinking.

If your child is over 5, I think you would be fine with the case I have ordered to replace this, I predict it will make it far more enjoyable to use and transport.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 8:16:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 7:05:03 PM PDT
E. Howland says:
Returned the cover to Amazon and got a full credit, Amazon is superb! I got an "Ink blue" colored cover (the kindle genuine one, the standing one) and while certainly not nearly as 'robust' as the Otterbox, it/s great for other reasons. I LOVE the instant sleep / Instant wake up, from the opening or closing the cover of this case. I also LOVE how it's very form fitting.

I splurged and bought the 7" KindleFireHD, and did not even hesitate, I ordered the standing Kindle cover as well.

So now my 8.9" HD, 7" HD and Paperwhite all have these covers. Love the decent protection and very form fitting nature of the covers.

Could I drop the Kindle on the sidewalk cement and feel pretty confidant it would survive? No (not unless I got really lucky). I am almost certain the Otterbox case would survive a 3+ foot drop test, but it makes the Kindle UNUSABLE IMO...

Posted on May 27, 2013 1:18:49 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Excellent review, Howard. You explained exactly why you did not find the product suitable for you and what great service that amazon.com provided for you.

Great job! You have my vote!

Tom

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 1:20:17 PM PDT
Thanks Tom!

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 8:47:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2013 8:51:54 AM PDT
JLG says:
The case is GREAT, if you read the instructions and pay attention, you will find that this case is simple as pie to use. Protection, REAL protection is going to be H E A V I E R, as most of us know. GREAT CASE, GREAT GREAT CASE. EASY TO USE, GREAT PROTECTION - BEST EVER. By the way, I bought the Ink Blue case and it will NOT protect the kindle at all when you drop it. If you are depending on that "ink blue" cover to protect it, then pay for the W A R R A N T Y. You WILL BE NEEDING IT!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2013 8:55:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 8, 2013 9:00:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 8:57:31 AM PDT

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 9:06:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2013 9:22:11 AM PDT
JLG says:
The outer cover is not "silly". It is called P R O T E C T I O N. Army Maneuvers? How about dropping it, spilling something on it, scratching it, carrying it, etc.etc.etc.etc......? Unless the owner sits at home all day in a bubble, the "Ink Blue" cover will NOT protect it, period. It also will NOT protect it from 6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17+....year-olds! That is NOT what the ink blue case is DESIGNED for!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2013 9:50:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2013 10:18:10 AM PDT
E. Howland says:
I bought the INK blue case to ENJOY using the Kindle as an adult. The ink blue case DOES protect it well enough (cover flap is great, Otterbox cover being separate is easy to misplace). I dropped it once a wooden floor, in the ink blue case, and it was 'enough' to protect the device (I admit I cringed and looked quickly!). If I was out and dropped it in the ink blue case on a concrete sidewalk, JLG is dead right, it would not likely help and the Otterbox would be GREAT for a drop test... If I had YOUNG kids, AND OR if I were going hiking a lot, AND OR if I were going on safari AND OR if I had young kids using the Kindle AND OR if the kindle got used at meal/drink time AND OR if I were doing anything like that (I said military for fun, lighten up JLG!) I would recommend this case for sure, but if you want to ENJOY adult semi-careful use of your Kindle around the house (or office) this case is great. Now my best friend recently got a 8.9" Kindle and has a 4 year old and a 6 year old. This is the perfect case for him and the one I would recommend. He also got the warranty which I think was a good move (like JLG said). Why did I give the case 1 star? not because it's terrible, but there are two MAIN problems I wanted people to be very aware of. When there are hundreds of reviews for something (there are over 500 for this case now) people only read the worst. Might this warrant a 2 star review (or even 3), maybe. JLG seems really irked by my comment(s), but I wanted my review to be helpful to both BUYERS and hopefully Otterbox.

They could do two major simple things that would make this a MUCH better case. Ship it "unsnapped" and include a screen protector (as the built in one is terrible).

NOW, that all said, My son is now about to use and iPad for school next year, and what would I want him to have his $700 iPad in, in his backpack? An Otterbox case! I have pushed for the Otterbox case but he is resistant not only remembering how big this one was, but he has the same concerns. As a parent, with the device being tossed in a backpack constantly, the Otterbox case is what I want him to get (and offered to pay half for...LOL). It's his call, his decision, and his money (half if he gets an Otterbox iPad case). The waterproof case looks good too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2013 10:08:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2013 10:10:00 AM PDT
E. Howland says:
BTW, I have a 11 and 14 yr old and both have done fine handling the Kindle (I have the 8.9" 7" and paperwhite all in these exact type cases). I would say the determining point is kids in the single digits AND OR expected use outdoors. I agree heavily with JLG that this case would test superb in a drop test on concrete.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›