Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but hard to play, November 18, 2010
This review is from: HedBanz Game - Edition may vary (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The premise of this game is to guess what picture is over your head. The picture is visible to everyone else but you. In a way, this game reminds me of something called "Indian Poker", where everyone but you sees your card.

Anyway, the idea behind this game is good, it's like a 20 questions, where you ask questions and people can say "yes/no". The availability of the picture makes it so that a whole group can participate, versus one-on-one.

However, here's where the hangups go. The timer is for 45 seconds. Consider that the average question takes about 5-10 seconds between asking and answering, we're talking about 5-10 questions before time's up. We tried a house rule of flipping the timer an extra time (for a total of a minute and a half), but we still can't figure out the item in time! I think the issue has to do with the timer, it messes with your head, and the questions you ask become scattered. Perhaps if we had a new house rule and had a limited number of questions instead of relying on a set time, the game may work. This may be especially useful when you have a diverse number of ages (young kids versus teens and adults).

Also, there aren't that many cards. I suppose we can create our own cards, but for this size game, you would think that the manufacturer would bother to give you a few more. I'd see a cranium game, and they'd throw in about 300-500 examples. For this game? Not even 100.

Based on the number of stars for other reviewers, I'm guessing that I'm in the minority, but I just can't love this game. Again, great concept, but hard to play.

Overall, okay game. Could have easily been a 4 or 5 star game if they thought it through, gave game variations (like number of guesses), and gave more cards.

UPDATE - 06/22/11
So, it's been over half a year since we've received this item, and I must admit, the kids and wife still play it once in a while. So while I don't love this game, it's still considered a keeper!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2010 12:36:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2010 4:48:39 PM PST
"We tried a house rule of flipping the timer an extra time (for a total of a minute and a half), but we still can't figure out the item in time!"

I hope I can help you like the game better! :) The word doesn't have to be guessed in 45 seconds. You keep the same word until you figure it out. There's no real time limit on guessing a word--you just wait until your next turn to try again on the same word. There's no punishment unless you pass, so you may end up having one word the entire game if others figure theirs out before you do.

I feel that the game-makers probably didn't make it clear enough in the instructions that you don't have to guess your word in one turn.

I just wanted to let you know this in hopes that it might make the game more fun for you and your friends/family. :) Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 7:43:05 AM PST
Thanks for the tip. Don't get me wrong, my kids still play the game, and it's definitely at least a try-once every time a new friend or relative comes over. It's just that as an observer, the kids just don't have the attention span of going back to remembering what they asked and what the answers were. For my 9 year old, for example, she will sometimes even forget some of the questions she's asked and was answered within the 45 secs (and times 2, for the flip), so for her to go BACK to the questions and answers after it gets back to her turn (and we normally play with 3 to 4 players), you can pretty much forget about building on any progress from the previous round.

Again, these are criticisms of a very detail oriented dad, and as long as my kids (and wife) play the game, we're keeping it. But compare this game to something like Cranium's Cranium Whoonu Tin Edition, and you can definitely tell a difference between a decent game and a GREAT game. (hmm, I don't think I've reviewed that game yet...)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 9:10:33 PM PDT
have her keep a little notebook to write out her questions when it is her turn that way she will be able to remember them, And also maybe you could try not flipping over the timer until the question is asked

Posted on May 16, 2012 12:16:53 PM PDT
utopiachick says:
We have this game and have just modified the rules. We don't use a timer and we don't keep score. I have a 6 year old and she loves playing it just for the sake of wearing the cards on her head, asking questions, and guessing. She has a birthday party to go to this weekend and I told her to get some ideas from the other little girl (who is turning 6) about things she would like for her birthday. This game was one of the things mentioned.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:24:16 AM PST
Craig Bowers says:
You aren't suppose to guess in one turn necessarily. The rules do indicate it. We got the Disney version for Xmas and it is hysterical. We have made a house rule for the littles when playing with the older set/adults. We will give them the title of the movie of the character and it does help them keep from being frustrated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:26:46 AM PST
Craig Bowers says:
Quite possibly the continued play of this game will increase their attention span, which is the best part of this game.

We for the littles or those drawing a blank on a 2nd go around give a quick summary of the previous answer (Girl, animal, wear clothes, etc..) so they have a leaping point.

Part of the fun of this game is learning to accept non-perfection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 4:31:48 PM PST
We don't limit the questions to yes or no, our directions don't specify that q's must be yes or no.

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 6:18:29 PM PST
You have made the game harder than it needs to be. the rules do not state a need for yes or no questions. In fact it says you can ask any question except "What am I?"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›