3.0 out of 5 stars Good Build Quality, Sound Quality not Great, August 5, 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser PMX 680 Sports Earbud Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The first thing I want to comment on is the build quality. I have to assume people getting these headphones are probably running or working out with them. I have never had a pair of headphones that fit comfortably while running. Ear buds fall out (I swear my right ear is misshapen and pushes earbuds out), around the head headphones are uncomfortable and the earpads get hot and sweaty, and even a cheap set of earbuds I bought that are like the PMX680 and wrap around the ear didn't fit right and had a tendancy to fall out frequently.

The PMX680 is about as good as I can imagine for wearing while running. The headphones fit in the ear and do not budge, even if you give the cord a decent tug. The headphones themselves are made of flexible and light plastic that can probably take a pretty good beating but is fairly unobtrusive. The earbuds sit just outside of the ear canal and are made of a sticky (through friction) silicone like substance, but come with optional foam pads which I choose to use. The earbuds can cause some discomfort, they are a little tight in the ear canal and put a fair amount of pressure on it. I don't mind much because it isn't noticeable once I start running and even when I'm at work using the headphones at my desk it isn't much of an issue. The cord seems like its very sturdy at the connection sites to the headphones and the plug. I can't imagine it wearing out like other pairs of headphones have. The extension cord itself is also sturdy but the volume adjuster isn't terribly useful and feels a little cheap, however I wouldn't consider it a very important feature. The headphones come with a clip to pin the cord to your shirt and prevent it from pulling when you move, the extension cable also has a clip on the volume adjuster as well. Both of these can be handy.

The reason I give these headphones a 3 is the price and sound quality prevent it from earning a higher score. For $60 I expected better sound from them. The stock "premium" headphones that came from my zune sound better than these. The bass is nice and surprisingly punchy for earbuds, however the mids and high end sound weak and a little muffled. The sound quality is comparable, maybe a little better than an average pair of $20-$30 over ear headphones off the shelf at a Target or Best Buy (which are overpriced headphones to begin with).

In spite of the disappointing sound quality I'm happy with the purchase. The PMX680 should last me forever and sound quality isn't my number 1 concern when I'm running anyway. I just don't think they should be priced at $60. I expect more from Sennheiser based on the brand's reputation and other headphones I've had from them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2010 1:51:09 PM PDT
Do they come out when you are really sweaty?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 10:19:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2010 10:19:57 PM PST
No, they do not, because they are attached to a rigid plastic piece--as opposed to a hanging cord (like stock ipod buds). Also, the headband is narrower than the average head so that you must 'pull' it open to fit it around your head. This means that there is a bit of pressure as the band sits on the head which keeps the buds in your ear. In other words they really can't 'slip' out--only pulling on them would cause them to come out of your ear.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 6:26:43 PM PDT
Golfing Dude says:
I have the same right ear and have tried several different models of ear buds with no luck. Would you (or anyone else) recommend the around the neck style for use while on the driving range (golf)? Also, have you tried the other PMX product ear buds with the fin that goes to the upper part of the ear and did they stay in?

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 9:06:23 PM PDT
dave13748 says:
Are you kidding? These have amazing sound quality! I tested, and returned, many earbuds less expensive than this and found nothing but c*ap. You really need to test more before giving such a derogatory review.. there are a few north of $100 that are superior but none that match ergonomics, sound quality and athletic orientation that match this set. Sennheiser has my vote!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 2:47:43 AM PST
John C says:
I've been listening on a pair of these for the last couple of hours- still comfortable, not hot, sweaty, or tight. Are you sure you have an 'average' head? I work out in these 4 times a week for cardio and weight lifting and they don't slip out. They're also my travel headphones- they're durable/tough enough they don't need a travel case. Although the sound quality is great, I'm looking into a pair of computer headphones for a fuller sound- Sony MDR 7506

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 4:24:17 PM PDT
Ullas Bhai says:
Please revise your comment about sound quality if possible. I wanted to buy these phones (which I eventually did), but your review made me have second thoughts. I am not sure which whom are you comparing their sound quality to?
I hope not to studio headphones..
These phones have the awesomest sound you can have while running at 8-10 minute a mile pace.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:15:14 AM PST
i just came here from gizmodo's site and their review said the same thing: good bass, but overall poor sound. they still said it's the best earbuds for runners cuz they will never fall out.

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 5:12:53 PM PDT
I purchased these just 2 years ago and hardly used them at all. The sound is definitely muffled, highs are cloudy and muted and overall, the headphones are useless to me as they are. The search continues.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 7:14:05 PM PST
Formosa says:
I have to strongly disagree with this review on poor sound quality. These headphones sound better than just about any headphone I've tried including over the ear! Of course the bass isn't going to be there as with an over the ear headphone - but the mids - highs and details are amazingly good. And this is through an ipod/iphone! So good I wonder why I spent thousands of dollars on "audiophile" speakers! Just head shaking amazing sound quality. In fact, while I'm writing this I can't stop listening to them! The fit is wonderful and I'm going to buy several more pairs --- that's how amazing these are!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›