4.0 out of 5 stars Comcast won't activate! EDIT: Use Chat Support to Activate!, January 8, 2011
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging (Personal Computers)
After being placed on hold for 10 minutes with technical support, I was informed that Comcast wouldn't activate it because I didn't buy it from an "authorized retailer". The interesting part is that Best Buy is the ONLY authorized retailer. I asked the tech support rep if it's an issue of trust with the Motorola brand (counterfeiting, shoddy equipment, etc...) and he just towed the company line and said, "sir, I'm sorry, but you need to purchase this from Best Buy and not Amazon.com". I was flabbergasted.

As of the writing of this review, Best Buy is offering this same modem for $30 more than Amazon, and Comcast just raised their modem rental fees from $5 to $6.61 in my area. I can't help but wonder what kind of profit sharing setup they've got behind the scenes. This feels like marketplace manipulation, collusion, or some other anti-trust lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'll probably try to call back in another day or two and claim that I bought it from Best Buy. Maybe I caught a tech support rep on a bad day. If not, this modem is getting returned. I just wish Comcast didn't have a monopoly over my cable/internet service -- I'd drop them in a heartbeat.

EDIT: As posted below, I was able to successfully activate the modem via Comcast's Online Chat Support.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2011 7:28:51 PM PST
AnybodyHome says:
I changed mine via Comcast Chat Support. Guy was helpful (although a bit slow for chat) and I made it pretty clear I was dropping their modem and adding mine. If you are able, you also could stop in your local office to drop off your rental and have them update your new info then.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 6:37:47 AM PST
Comcast isn't as helpful anymore. They will set you up with a NetGear Wireless Router for only 10 bucks, but they make it hard (unless you clamp down with you are on disability) now with the Modems at $7 (same price as the EMTA for the phone - they USED to charge more for that).

In one argument, I kept saying - NO ONE WANTS YOUR PHONE!! They also keep trying to upgrade the Internet speed - but you need a new modem. As folks are downgrading (instead of adding more - while the phone starts at 14.99 to 19.99 a month for a year - it is actually - with the cost of modem - over $50 a month), they keep trying to push more onto you. They HATE the Roku box.

PS - our fees are $7 a month if you rent. No Way Jose. They were friendly about it when they raised the price from $3 to $5, and I still had the Pukey Ambit modem. Now, they WANT that monthly revenue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 8:30:53 PM PST
Thanks! I just used the Chat Support and they activated it without problems. I must've gotten a bitter or uninformed representative in that first call.

Review changed from 1 star to 3 due to difficulty of activation. Sorry Motorola! It's not you, it's Comcast!

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 1:05:09 PM PST
I live in Albuquerque and Comcast & Qwest have a monopoly on internet service. Yes, U can get a phone line through Quest for about $30/month and then about $20 for Netzero, Earthlink, etc., but then you are paying $50 total! They've got us over the barrel, but in Calif. there is more competition and lower prices. There's got to be a way for another ISP to break into this market and then good-bye Comcast & Qwest who have more irate customers than any other company in the USA, except Verizon!

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 4:21:30 PM PST
P. Murphy says:
I also want to buy a cable modem, and I am currently renting from Comcast. I have the MOtorola Surfboard SB5100, and don't know whether I can use the one listed here, the SB5101U??

Does nayone know, if it's compaitable?
Thanks,
TM

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 4:23:47 PM PST
AnybodyHome says:
Yes, it is. I am using it now on Comcast.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 4:25:43 PM PST
P. Murphy says:
Do you know if I can use the one that you bought when I have the Surfboard SB5100, from Comcast now?

Is this one a newer version?

Can't wait to return this one, they just upped the rental from $5. to $8. per month.

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 7:46:35 AM PST
K MavAZ says:
Not sure why Comcast wouldn't more easily assist you. I purchased this modem and Comcast phone support had the modem up and running in less than five minutes!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 7:45:21 PM PDT
if you want a phone and not thru expensive comcast, vonage or other broadband service, I bought an ooma device on amazon at xmas 2 years ago (best buy too expensive) and pay $10 a year with no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 4:38:41 PM PDT
J. Gomez says:
The u model is actually there latest model..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›