Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Rumors: Where there's smoke there's fire..., February 16, 2012
This review is from: Nikon Rumors (Kindle Edition)
I've been following Nikon Rumors on the Web for quite some time, but just recently found that there's a Nikon Rumors blog on the Kindle. If you're into Nikon and have a Kindle, it's a winner.

On February 8th, it was right there for Kindle subscribers: Nikon D800 vs. D700 specs comparison

There was a pair of the above Nikons in a very clear photo of both models, followed by the text:

"Here is a quick comparison between the Nikon D800 and Nikon D700 based on the specifications listed on Nikon's website... I was told that the D700 will go down in price in the next few days - in France for example, the price is expected to drop from the current EUR 2,100 to EUR 1,800. I have no confirmation about US prices yet."

This was followed by a lengthy and highly-detailed comparison list of the specs of both cameras, side by side, with all of the info that a prospective buyer (or Nikon fan) could wish for, and of course the links that all who enjoy the regular Nikon Rumors site are used to.

A day earlier there had been a great composite image with a slogan "I AM A D800" which follows the signature "I AM NIKON" images that's know to so many on Facebook and other places on the Net. There was a slew of information in that column, with many links. We learned that Nikon stock is up 13%, and that the D800/D800E is being made in Japan.

It's timely info like this which makes the Nikon Rumors blog on the Kindle worthwhile. But couldn't one get such information easier and faster on Facebook or directly from Photo Rumors on the `Net? Yes, but I don't take my computer, even my laptop, to bed with me. Often I'll take my Kindle to bed at night to read various books that I've downloaded, and there are a few blogs here on Amazon that I like to check, sometimes just before falling asleep and occasionally first thing in the morning. That's how I found out early about the amazing "Joy Ride" promo motorcycle video with Mark Miller that was shot in Chicago and done entirely done with the new Nikon D800. .

The "Nikon at the 2012 CP+ show" article from February 11, 2012, had not only coverage from this exhibition in Japan, but a photo of the alloy chassis of the D800 chassis along with other images in better grayscale than are usually found on the Kindle. And their "Weekly Nikon news flash columns" are the kind that will keep you abreast of the latest deals and rebates, along with other timely info.

More recently was the alert that the van transporting the gear for the Dublin NPS (Nikon Pro Services) road show had been stolen on Saturday night near The Phoenix Park in Dublin, Ireland. The van contained Nikon equipment valued at $156,000 including the brand new D4 and D800 demo cameras, and they offered a complete list of the stolen equipment with serial numbers.

Living up to their name, Nikon Rumors declared that in addition to the D4 and D800, Nikon will announce three more DSLR cameras in 2012. They speculated that the new cameras will all be DX models, probably replacements for the Nikon D3100, D7000 and D300s.

And important to many of us users was the announcement that Nikon had released v2.3.1 of Capture NX, with the reminder that you must install version 2.3.0 before proceeding with version 2.3.1. The new Capture NX version has D4 support and several bugs fixed, and they were all listed.

This Kindle blog has fast and frequent updates, and their stories and announcements have images and photos relevant to the article. Surprisingly, most of the articles have complete text, whereas their online site one has to click a link to get the entire story... a nice touch for those who want their info quickly. It's currently available on the following:

* Kindle
* Kindle Touch
* Kindle Keyboard
* Kindle DX
* Kindle (2nd Generation)
* Kindle (1st Generation)

There are a few other good general photography blogs on the Kindle, such as Scott Bourne's Photofocus. If you're into serious photography in a general way, his name may be familiar, as he's been writing about photography on his own site since the late '90s. Recently he asked the question: "How Many Megapixels Do We Really Need?" and offered advice to serious photographers on how to protect yourself from the war on photography, where those with a camera are being legislated against. There was a classic posted last October entitled "The Problem With Using Filters On Your Camera Lenses" that gave this reader a lot of second thoughts about what we call conventional wisdom regarding the use of UV filters to protect a lens.

But when it comes to what's going on in the world of Nikon, then just take a look at the Nikon Rumors blog on the Kindle. This subscription comes with a free 14-day trial. If you like it after that time it will cost you under a buck per month... less than a cup of coffee.

And just remember their slogan, "Where there's smoke there's fire."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 17, 2012 7:37:22 PM PDT
Bill Mathews says:
Seems strange that a Kindle Fire version isn't offered, as the Fire would seem the best choice as NR uses a fair number of good color images. I'll wait until there's a Fire version.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 10:27:48 PM PDT
Bill, thanks for commenting on my review of the Nikon Rumors subscription blog for the Kindle. As I noted in my review, it's currently available as of this date only for the following models:

* Kindle
* Kindle Touch
* Kindle Keyboard
* Kindle DX
* Kindle (2nd Generation)
* Kindle (1st Generation)

It's noted in the description of this subscription blog: "The publisher may have opted out of making it available on certain devices, or the reading experience may not yet be optimized for this publication on those devices."

I have a Kindle 2, and for the many of us with such legacy models this is a good and handy kick-off place to find out what has been currently posted on the regular Nikon Rumors blog. As I noted in my review, couldn't one get such information easier and faster on Facebook or directly from Photo Rumors on the 'Net? Yes, but I don't take my computer, even my laptop, to bed with me. Often I'll take my Kindle to bed at night to read various books that I've downloaded, and there are a few blogs here on Amazon that I like to check, sometimes just before falling asleep and occasionally first thing in the morning. For the same reason, I also subscribe to Scott Bourne's Photofocus blog here. And at $0.99 per month for each of these, it's worth my time to have that info when I want or need it.

For those interested, the Nikon Rumors blog is available on a computer here:

Viewers of the online blog above will notice that the photos are there, as they are on the regular Kindles noted here, and I do not find the lack of color a hindrance at all.

I also have a Kindle Fire, and on that I subscribe to Shutterbug, which is a subscription monthly, and I have reviewed that one as well, if you're interested.

It's suggested that any legacy Kindle owners who are interested in Nikon Rumors take advantage of the two-week free trial subscription and see if it fits your needs. It has worked well for me, and I'm still a subscriber.

Thanks for you comment, Bill.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (1 customer review)

$0.99
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

John Williamson
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: NYC & Bucks County, PA