5.0 out of 5 stars Loved all of them!, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Betty Crocker The Big Book of Cookies (Betty Crocker Big Book) (Paperback)
If you are a cookie lover (like I am) then you'll love The Big Book of Cookies! It has a huge collection of cookies, with more than 180 recipes, each with a photo, too. The recipes include both made from scratch or using a mix from the line of Betty Crocker mixes, so you can choose whichever appeals more to you.

I've already tried the Chocolate and Orange Pecan shortbread, which in the book the photo shows them cut out into a pretty scalloped shape, while we rolled them into balls and added a powdered sugar coating. My kids loved the "snowballs" and I loved that they had three of my favorite flavors in one cookie. Another recipe that I tested so far is the Cinnamon Fig Bars with Orange Buttercream Frosting, as I had a large amount of dried figs that I wanted to make something with. I loved how they turned out with the citrusy icing and the fruit filling, I'm sure I will make them again. There's also a good amount of decorated cookies for holidays, like the adorable Ginger Elves or the Glowing Spiced Pumpkins, which have a stained glass look made from melted hard candies.

There was also some nice suggestions for packaging cookies that I'm going to try out when we give cookies to our neighbors this holiday season. I like the idea of using CD envelopes to package one large cookie, my co-workers would love that. If your family is gluten free, The Big Book of Cookies includes recipes that will meet your needs, while still allowing for some yummy treats. Also, keep your eye out for the sweet success tips that offer ideas for alternative ingredients, handling suggestions and more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2012 1:52:17 PM PST
Amazon Kathy says:
Terrific review! I look for reviews from people who have tried some recipes and give feedback and tips on what they did differently. I always check the "was this review helpful to you" for people like you who give great reviews.
Thank you! I'm going to check this book out

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 7:16:58 PM PST
That is so kind of you, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. I post pretty frequent reviews and I try hard to give people a "look" inside the book and what it really offers, as well as what my experience was, as I hope that will be of value to them. I'm a total cookie monster, so this book had me at Hello! Thanks so much for your considerate remarks and the positive rating!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 5:40:56 AM PDT
You mentioned in your review that the recipes in the book allow you to substitute cookie mixes, but I cant't find any reference in the book to do so. I wanted to bake the Almond poppy tea cookies, but I don't have a sugar cookie mix.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 8:19:22 PM PDT
I remember that some of the recipes allowed for Betty Crocker cookie mixes, but I just moved and have all of my books in boxes right now. Sorry! I sure love that cookbook though, making cookies is my favorite thing to bake!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (42 customer reviews)

$19.99 $12.38