ARRAY(0xa3e5e120)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of misinformation in these reviews, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic DY-WL10 Wireless LAN Adapter for select Panasonic Viera HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc Players (Electronics)
Okay, my "credentials": I have purchased this unit, a Panasonic DMP-BD85K WiFi Enabled Blu-Ray Disc Player (Black), a Panasonic VIERA TC-P42G25 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV, and a Netgear WNDA3100v2 usb WiFi adapter for use on my DishNetwork DVR. I have a NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless-N300 Gigabit Router with USB WNR3500L and a 6Mb down DSL connection. I mention the Netgear WiFi adapter because that is the only one that can be used instead of this Panasonic adapter (version 2 only). I am a network techie and, because I didn't have anything better to do that night, tried a bunch of configurations. Here are some of my conclusions and observations: 1) The Panasonic gets stronger and more stable connections than the Netgear. 2) You have very little control over the adapter from the TV or the Bluray. [Edit: this is a dual band device and you can connect at 2.4 OR 5 if you have a dual band router]. You cannot access any of the properties of either adapter as you could if it was connected to a PC. 3) the price of both adapters are pretty much the same and assuring that you are getting the version 2 of the Netgear is pretty iffy unless you pay higher prices at a local electronics store and can directly look at the adapater. The Netgear is much positional which I found to be a negative because it is easy to be moved by roving cats, messing with wiring, etc. The Panny adapter seemed to pick up the max signal in almost all positions. 4) Why do reviewers downgrade the adapter's rating just because the tv or bluray needs it for WiFi. Shouldn't that downgrade be attributed to the TV or Bluray player rating? 5) Differences in PQ or stuttering could just as easily be blamed on a slow broadband connection. Your available bandwidth from your ISP is really the rate limiting step, not the Wireless N speed (even with a mediocre WiFi N connection). Bottom line - the device works well despite the negative comments that have more to do with availability, perceived high price compared to other USB WiFi adapters (probably true for G but not N), lack of choice (so?) and the fact that it was not built into the TV or Bluray that was originally purchased.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2010 5:39:23 PM PST
Mr/Ms Thompson, would be curious how you got the Netgear wifi adapter to work, I can't get the WND3100v2 to work with my Panasonic BD player. Any suggestions you can offer would be great. ungerhouse @ yahoo. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 6:17:04 PM PST
M. Thompson says:
what type of WiFi Access Point/router do you have? Is it broadcasting its SSID? Is it g or n? Is it 2.4 Ghz, 5Ghz or both? Which Panny BluRay do you have?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 10:49:18 PM PST
Thanks for the reply. It's a Linksys Wrt54g, wireless G (so I assume it's 2.4g). I'm using WPA-PKA (TKIP). It doesn't appear to have WPS capability, but I could be missing something. My Pana bluray is a DMP-BD65, which is "wireless ready" but needs a wireless connection.

Thanks for your help...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:42:22 AM PST
Christian
your router is getting a little long in the tooth so you may want to conider replacing it with an N product for greater throughput, especially if you have relatively fast broadband. The Netgear WNR3500L is a nice router as is the WNDR37AV if you want dual band. You will needed at least 3Mb down on your broadband but 5 or greater would be preferred if you have anyone using the internet while you want to watch an HD movie. This will especially be true when Netflix starts to include Dolby 5.1 with their movies on demand. But anyway: make sure your router's DHCP is on and that you aren't restricting access to it through an "allowed MAC address list" Make sure your router is broadcasting it's SSID. Go to http:\\192.168.1.1 (most likely) to check these router parameters. If you can get the router close to the BluRay then things will go smoother. Plug the WNDA3100v2 (NIC) into the BluRay's USB port. You can use the USB extension cable to allow positioning for a better signal. Turn on the Bluray without a DVD in it. you will come to a menu but if you don't just hit "function view" on the remote. Go to "other Functions, then setup, then network, then network settings. Set "LAN Connection Mode" to Wireless. Press Access Point Connection Setting and then press Connection Setting. Choose "Search for access point" and wait. You may see several SSIDs. Choose yours - it SHOULD have the strongest signal. Next, choose WPA-PSK then choose TKIP. By the way, if you upgrade to an N router, use WPA2-PSK with AES encryption when you set everything up. After coosing TKIP, press "Encryption Key". Enter your network's encryption key (case sensitive) then press "Stop" on your remote. Arrow down to the "Set" button and press it and wait. If all goes well, you will have a screen that indicates success. Press "ok" on the remote then "return" several times to get out of it. Test your connection by choosing Other Functions, Setup, Others, Firmware Update, Update Now, then yes. It will probably find a firmware update. Follow the onscreen instructions for dowloading and installing it. DO NOT INTERUPT THE PROCESS!!!!
Hope this goes well for you. Let me know. If you would like further assistance, email me at thompson.mike@sbcglobal.net. I would be glad to help you step through it over the phone if needed. Good luck. Netflix is really worth it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 7:36:42 PM PST
C. Nelson says:
Hi, will the usb wireless adapter connection work if my router is setup at 'WEP' instead of 'WPA'? My wireless network works fine now so I'm not sure about changing it to connect the usb adapter. Thanks in advacne.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 8:01:43 PM PST
M. Thompson says:
It MIGHT depend on the BluRay or TV that you plug it into but I just tested it on both my Panasonic units and it does work with WEP. Keep in mind that the final Wireless N standard does not support speeds > 54 with WEP encryption. That probably doesn't really matter since the bottleneck is your broadband speed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 8:20:07 PM PST
C. Nelson says:
I'm getting the PC-T42G25 and Panny Blu Ray DMP-BD65K. What exactly is the final wireless N standard? I looked at my router properties but I don't see anything like that unless this what you mean as the wireless N standard-802.11n Wireless LAN Card. I'm not sure what my broadband speed is. All i know is that I usually don't have any issues with speed. I have Timewarner Roadrunner Turbo.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011 5:21:52 AM PST
M. Thompson says:
I'm going to be honest with you and tell you that, since my review, I have run Ethernet drops to my wireless devices. It wasn't a problem with this adapter, it was a problem with the new firmware of my Netgear WNDR37AV router that prompted me to do so. Afterwards, I realized a huge advantage to wired drops: you get your connection almost immediately when you turn on your TV or BluRay. With a wireless USB dongle, it doesn't power on until you power on your unit. It can take a while for the connection to your router to be established. One "wireless" way to achieve this instant on effect is to switch to a wireless bridge if you can't run a cable. The following would be an example of one that gets pretty good reviews Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011 7:25:02 AM PST
C. Nelson says:
I totally forgot about this type of device, thank so much for the reminder. It says that I wouldn't need to use that Panasonic wireless adapter if I use this device so is that true? Just want to make sure. I can't wait to get my new TV!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011 7:32:10 AM PST
C. Nelson says:
M. Thompson, when you used the the universal wifi interent adapter did you also have to use the panasonic wireless adapter also? I always see posts that people say no matter what the panasonic wireless adapter has to be used with the panasonic equipment. I just want to make sure. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›