4.0 out of 5 stars HERE IS HOW TO INSTALL THIS PRODUCT!!!!, July 10, 2011
This review is from: WiFi Wireless IEEE 802.11N/G/B WLAN 54Mbps Network Dongle Adapter USB2.0 for Laptop Notebook Desktop PC Suport Vista/Windows 7(32bit & 64bit)/Linux (Electronics)
First off, you should actually ignore people who gave this item bad reviews if it was about the installation. The installation is actually very simple, but the directions are horrible that come with the device. The most important thing is to NOT PLUG IN THE ADAPTER BEFORE INSTALLING THE DRIVER. Ignore the disc that comes with the USB Adapter, it is a small disc and many computers can't read those types of discs anymore. Instead just download the software from here: http ://goo .gl/ 7suWp (without the spaces in between)
and if that file goes down or unavailable in the future just google "RTL8192CU_AutoInstallPackage" with quotes. You can add ".zip" to the end of it too if you want to find a quick direct download.

I want to make it clear that I bought this product for around $5, and honestly this is the best deal I've ever had on an item of this quality. Yes, the directions it comes with are misleading and problematic. Most users will actually plug in the USB Adapter without reading the directions first which state that you should NOT plug it in because your computer will begin installing improper software if it does. Yes, this is a bad design flaw, but all you really need to install this product is 1 driver. Here is the driver: http ://goo .gl/ 7suWp (without the spaces in between) or just google "RTL8192CU_AutoInstallPackage" with quotes.
Once you 'unzip' the file, just install the driver, then plug in the adapter. That is it! Now to actually get it to work you may have to let it load up and start and install it's features and whatnot. I left it plugged in for a good while. Then I unplugged it (it is important to unplug it each time you are preparing to turn off your computer or put it in sleep mode because you will just have to pull it out and put it back in each time you boot back up) Then the next time you use it it should be picking up several wireless networks located near you. Please note: sometimes it needs to be taken out of the usb port and put back in if it isn't responding, but I have a very old and bad laptop so it may just be my computer being lazy.
In order to use it as a wi-fi hotspot (emits a wi-fi radius to allow your ps3/wii/ds/3ds/etc connect to it wirelessly to use internet) you need to first connect to your either wired network to your computer or your wireless network located nearby. Then you need to go to the top bar where it says [Refresh] and other options and choose [Mode (M)]. Then from that click [AP Mode]. AP Mode means Access Point Mode which emits a wi-fi hotspot for you from your laptop. If the green light on the USB Adapter hasn't been flickering already it should be now.
AGAIN: IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT YOU MAY HAVE TO TRY THIS A FEW TIMES (only the steps after installing the driver) BECAUSE THE DEVICE CAN BE A LITTLE SLOW IN CONNECTING SOMETIMES BUT ONCE IT ESTABLISHES ITS CONNECTION IT IS VERY RELIABLE. I have not encountered any problems once I got the device to work. Each time you plug it in you may have to wait a few seconds for it to connect to your computer, then the software, then your wifi/wired network, then establish a hot spot. Sometimes when you connect to make an AP hotspot (AP Mode) a blue bar will appear showing it's progress in creating the hotspot so give it some time. For me the amount of time it takes varies but it is always reliable.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ:
Step 1: Download RTL8192CU_AutoInstallPackage.zip
Step 2: Install the driver from the file (RTL8192CU Driver AutoInstall)
Step 3: Restart computer
Step 4: Plug in Wireless USP Adapter
Step 5: Allow Adapter to connect to software and wait.
Step 6: Unplug adapter
Step 7: Restart computer (all restarting is just a precautionary measure, but it is not necessary unless it asks you specifically on your computer)
Step 8: Make sure the REALTEK USB WIRELESS LAN UTILITY software is on (at the bottom right of the screen where your icons are located you should see a blue crab looking thing with red lines or circle somewhere on it or something close to that)
Step 9: Connect the software to your current internet network (You have to look around in the software and it will show internet networks located near you and you have to choose yours)
Step 10: Click at the top [Mode (M)] and select AP Mode (this will change the software mode into a wifi emitting mode)
Step 11: Configure any settings you like such as passwords and such. If you had a password on your previous internet network it will more likely keep that password for your new wifi that is being emitted, but don't quote me on that.
Step 12: Get our your PS3/Wii/DS/PSP/etc whatever you are using to connect to the wifi and have them choose the new wifi network (It should be named the title of what your computer is named ie: "[your name/user name] - PC_AP"
Everything should work perfectly and the speed at which it all connects is very impressive for a device with such bad directions. I hope this helped, I wrote this in a drowsy state but it is very simple to install.

SUPER SUPER SIMPLE DIRECTIONS:
1: download and install RTL8192CU_AutoInstallPackage.zip
2: plug in USB ADAPTER
3: connect software to current network
4: turn to AP Mode
5: connect other devices to new wifi network

Good luck.

If you can't figure out your password when trying to connect with your game device or something just try all the passwords you know that you use, you'd be surprised how many times I've just used the wrong passwords and gotten frustrated. After all your game devices are connected they won't ask for a password again even if you unplug the adapter and plug it back in a year later, just ask your game systems to remember the password, or I believe the 3ds does by default but again don't quote me on that.

Overall I say this is worth the buy, it is reliable in the long run, and is great for under $10. You won't be disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2011 3:25:18 PM PDT
Taddy says:
This review helped me SOOOO much! Now I don't have to buy a freaking 50 buck wireless router!!! Thank you!

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 3:59:55 PM PST
I just have to say, THANK YOU SO MUCH! My gf has a DSL atm and she's setting up her router for WPA2. She had a Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter, but she's running Windows 7 64-Bit, so obviously that wasn't going to work. After following these helpful steps you saved us MANY headaches! Thanks for all the help, definitely made it worth the $7.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 11:33:55 PM PST
Mark says:
I'm apparently not as computer literate as I would like to think.

I downloaded the file, opened it up, and am unsure exactly what the driver file is.

I'm assuming it's the setup.exe file...but when I do that, my in-stall shield gets to a point where it says "Installing Cisco EAP-FAST" and it just stays on that and never finishes installing.

I'm running windows 7, 64 bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 5:22:16 AM PST
Shado says:
That's very odd, I haven't encountered that problem before. If it has installed anything so far on the computer maybe try uninstalling all the software, delete the file you downloaded, and download the file from another source (google it again but download the file from another website). You may have just gotten a bad download off a fluke. It may also help to "run as administrator" the exe file. If you are still confused let me know and I'll clarify more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 1:48:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2012 2:02:56 PM PST
Mark says:
Hmmm, this is odd. I downloaded it from two different sources, but the same issue persists.

But what is strange is, apparently it does install, as an icon appears on my desktop, and I am able to connect the adapter to my laptop, and open the configuration utility. I see a listing off all the wireless connections available, now the only issue I guess I am having is getting it to actually send out a wireless signal.

Edit: Bah, forgot to switch it to AP mode. Now just having issues getting my 3ds/wii to connect, as all wifi connections here require a login/password to connect. I'll see what I can do.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:07:23 AM PST
Gabe says:
For some reason the only options I see on the tabs of the Wireless Utility application are refresh(R) and about (a). Am I do something wrong shado? Your help would be extremely appreciated? I installed all of the files directly as you said and everything.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 12:19:31 PM PDT
Jamie O. says:
I was hoping somebody might be able to help me. I installed everything as was told. but for some reason it isn't locating the adapter, and the only option I have are Refresh and About. Can somebody help me?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 1:44:19 PM PDT
Gabe says:
Same here. SAME HERE!!! Can someone please help?

Posted on May 1, 2012 6:47:34 PM PDT
Stephen says:
If you're having trouble finding the Auto Install Package, I found mine here:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 1:11:01 PM PDT
nhaniff says:
Thanks I really had a hard time finding the driver :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›