5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could want, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Maha Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger and Analyzer - Deluxe Accessory Storage Case Included (Electronics)
Don't be intimidated by the various cycles this charger is capable of if you are fairly new to rechargeable batteries. You can always just pop your batteries in and accept the default settings and generally get great results.
If you have batteries that aren't performing to your expectations and want to try an advanced cycle to "rescue" them, the instructions are detailed and it is just a matter of putting in one battery at a time and making a selection from a few categories. The instructions present a pretty good explanation of your choices, and you have the options at hand to possibly save older, degraded batteries.

I have owned several Maha chargers and have never been disappointed. After a couple of years with any charger it seems they come out with an upgraded unit and I MUST get it!! This charger is a leap forward and I have noticed a few key points anyone buying a charger would appreciate:
The charger is bigger than any other in its class and the batteries are spaced wider apart, apparently yielding a much cooler battery during charge and making insertion and removal much easier. My batteries only got slightly warm during charging.

The charger has a lot of vent area on the casing and runs cool to the touch regardless of the mode I used.

The display offers a wealth of information about the batteries and mode you are using. If you want to study the instructions a little, over time you can learn a lot about the condition of your batteries and how to maximize their lifespan.

I highly recommend this charger as it is the coolest running and highest quality I've ever used. Use it in its simplest mode -(pop in the batteries and walk away)- or learn about the advanced modes at your own pace. Either way, you've got what I believe is the best charger on the market at this time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2010 5:48:52 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2010 5:58:44 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 3:24:20 PM PST
GeekGod says:
Your advise to just "pop in the batteries and walk away" is fine for AA batteries. For AAA batteries the default charging current of 1000mA is much too high and will cook the cells. For best performance and maximum battery life the charge current should be no more than 0.5C, which for AAA size is usually 350-400mAh. Charging at a higher rate will work, but it will shorten the life of the batteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 8:30:55 AM PST
I concur with this. I don't know squat about battery charging, am actually pretty confused by the engineering lingo on the manual and other websites, but from what I've gleaned charging and discharging at lower rates gives better life to the battery right?
I had 12 AAA that were 600mah, when I popped them the default charge rate of 1000ma logically seemed like it would cook my batteries. I charge all AAA at the lowest possible setting 100 or 200MA.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 12:59:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 1:03:49 AM PST
Stockstradr says:
I noticed same aspect of Maha charger that GeekGod commented on:

The Maha defaults to about 1000 mA, even when AAA's are inserted. Typical AAA has capacity of about 800 mAH, and one should not exceed 1.0 X Capacity for charging rate on NiMH battery.

So don't let the Maha default to 1000 mA for charging NiMH AAA. Instead, for the AAA's force a charging rate between 0.33C and 1.0C. Something around say 500, 600, or 700 mA are fine rates for charging an 800 mAH AAA battery. Personally, I agree with GeekGod's advice to charge at no more than 0.50 X Capacity, because might as well charge at that lower rate to prolong battery life, unless it is some kind of "battery emergency" where you MUST HAVE them charged as soon as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:09:48 AM PST
we have been charging AAA for 3 years at 1 amp aka 1000 mAh, no failures, when I say we I mean everyone in our Mini Z Kyosho club, about 9 guys. Though I won't argue the slower rate is preferred, we have not seen any higher failure rate and most but not all of us have this charger.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:27:51 PM PST
Travinsky says:
Seems like newer cells are coming with 950 and 1000maH, so I believe this should no longer be a problem.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›