4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, February 6, 2014
This review is from: Casio Men's PRG550-1A1CR Pro Trek Triple Sensor Tough Solar Analog-Digital Watch (Watch)
I searched a lot for an analog/digital watch and settled on this one for three main reasons:
1. It has a second hand, which I need for my job.
2. It has a large digital display, which is easier on my aging eyes.
3. It has a solar powered battery, so I don't have to take the back off every year to change a battery.

I wasn't too sure about not having a crown to manually set the time, but the automatic adjustment feature worked very well, you just choose a hometown near you that is listed around the watch face and it automatically sets itself. I did notice it was about two minutes off, so I used the manual adjustment feature and it has been right on for a month now. Both the analog and digital times match exactly. The solar power feature works well too. With normal wear, it gets enough light to keep itself charged to the H level. Hopefully the solar battery will last for many years.

The altitude/baro/temperature/compass features are cool, but I really have little use for them. The altitude sensor works off of pressure, so you have to calibrate it to get an accurate reading. I would think it would only be accurate for a few hours after you calibrate it or until the weather changes. The temperature feature is nice, but you have to take it off your arm for a few minutes or the sensor just reads your arm temperature. The compass feature works well, I've used that a few times now. The second hand spins around to point to magnetic north (or true north if you change that setting) and the digital display gives you your bearing from north.

I like that the crystal is recessed a bit into the bezel. It should help protect the face. I have no scratches at all so far, and I'm tough on watches.

I found the manual to be very well done. The print is very small, but I downloaded a PDF to read it better. The explanations and examples are very well written (not like it was translated from some other language). It only took me about 10 minutes to get it completely setup when I got it (set the time and date and the various pressure/altitude units and all that). The watch has so many functions, but navigating them makes sense once you figure out the button sequences and use it for a while (all the functions except Comp/Baro/Alti are accessed via the Mode and Adjust buttons).

The light lights up the analog face very well at night (the 5 minute increments and the hour/minute/second hands glow in the dark, but not for very long). But the light doesn't light up the LCD display at all, so that part is useless at night, if that matters to you. The watch is also a bit thick, so it stands up off my wrist a good bit, so I can get a normal shirt sleeve over it. Probably just as well, since a shirt sleeve would block the solar charging (although it is supposed to last 6 months on a full charge). I'm not too sure about the band either. It's plastic and feels thick enough to last, but I take it off at night, so time will tell how well it holds up. The band also has a raised part at the end of it to hold it in the keeper. This is good if you wear it all the time so the end of the band doesn't pop out, but it makes it a pain to take the watch off. I may just take a knife and shave that raised part off.

Overall, I really like this watch. I've had it for a month now and have had no problems with it. I give it 4 stars instead of 5 mainly because the LCD is useless at night. It would have been nice if both parts lit up. I'm also not crazy about the plastic band, but I suppose I can change it if I need to.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]